Taste v. Aroma

I enjoy trying to distinguish flavors from a cigar on the palate, but have really begun to simply enjoy the aromas just as much if not more. Interested in knowing if others find the aromas as compelling since reviews usually glance over this piece of a fine cigar. Pondering this while loving a 08 HDM DC, which by the way was salvaged using Rob's tip on saving a tight cigar with a short stay in the refrigerator.

I love the smell of certain cigars while smoking them. Yes a guy does get caught up on the tastes and forgets to mention in detail about the smell . I find the smell and tast go hand in hand. Yet after your done smoking certain cigars , they don't leave too desirable of scent. Yet surprisingly sometimes they do. I guess it might be the mood one is in.

Side not I have found drinking water with a cigar has brought out more pure flavours / increased them in strength.

I smoke almost exclusively outdoors, where aromatics tend to get a bit lost. On the rare occasions where I do smoke indoors, aromas tend to get homogenized - harder to discern. Personally, I get a general sense of a cigar with aromas, but not as much nuance as with taste.

I smoke almost exclusively outdoors, where aromatics tend to get a bit lost. On the rare occasions where I do smoke indoors, aromas tend to get homogenized - harder to discern. Personally, I get a general sense of a cigar with aromas, but not as much nuance as with taste.

I'd say my experience is similar to Colt's - similar patterns here.

And I also find that when there's too many cigar smokers around, or if it's while in a piss-poor interior spot with minimal ventilation, then the air is so saturated with cigar smoke that my smoking experience turns to crap. My taste buds are overwhelmed, my nasal cavity turns to mush, and my olfactory sense is ruined also. It really takes the enjoyment out of the experience for me, so much so that I generally stop smoking until removed from said environment.

I smoke cigars for the enjoyment of the taste, not for the sake of smoking, so if my tastes are overwhelmed, then there's no point really, IMO.

I've always found it curious that I can smell the delicious aroma of a cigar being smoked from a block away, but how quickly I lose that when smoking one myself. I imagine that between simple proximity of the cigar during smoke and the occasional retrohale it might just be a bit of olfactory overload. Always wondered if others had a similar experience.

I've always found it curious that I can smell the delicious aroma of a cigar being smoked from a block away, but how quickly I lose that when smoking one myself. I imagine that between simple proximity of the cigar during smoke and the occasional retrohale it might just be a bit of olfactory overload. Always wondered if others had a similar experience.

Very much so Paul. I think some of it is also that your taste buds adapt quickly and you don't notice your "own" smoke

I love it when someone walks by smoking a good cigar, love the aroma

The nose of a cigar varies from cigar to cigar. For example an aged '02 LGC #1 or #3 will give off a wonderfully perfumy nose, and you can detect it from across the bar. Other than that, I can tell Monte, Trinidad, JL, Punch, several RyJ and Partagas. Outside those marcas or individual cigars, I just smell ash.

I've had a couple cigars that have had spectacular aromas...a Bolivar CG and a couple R&J Cedros No. 3. The CG was lovely like a fine perfume. I remember looking to see if someone had just walked into the lounge before I realized it was from my cigar. The Cedros is a little harder to describe. It wasn't perfumed but just smelled fantastic. Both times with the Cedros I was outdoors and it made me stop whatever I was doing to take it all in. All of them tasted great as well. It just made the experiences a little extra special.