To freeze, or not to freeze? That is the question........again......& again....

Morning everyone, at least where I am from.. Just received my package from the czars last night, & I must say they look & smell beautiful.. They are comfortably resting in the wineador right now after a 2 day journey... So what do you think, should i freeze them? Got them from czars so I have much faith they were in good hands & I'm fine wihout freezing them, but what is the general consensus? I'll be going with the crowd, so shoot away boys..

If your storage conditions are ok then there should be no issues.

But freeze if it gives you peace of mind...

Anyway, now to the important part...

What you get?

Siglo IV, CoRo & HDM Epicure No2..

i only thought that freezing was a cure for beetles after reading some information about that, what other reasons are there for having the need to freeze cigar? I'm also very new to fold of smokers for pleasure.

I freeze all incoming new boxes whether from the czar or anywhere else. I have had beetles hatch in certain cigars with temps as low as 67-68 degrees and had to toss the cigars. Never had a beetle outbreak since all cigars have had 72 hours in the deep freeze. And as far as taste, there is no discernable difference to me, freezing has no effect on the oils in the tobacco. Better safe than sorry!

To the freezer it will go.. All three boxes are now sealed & in the fridge, where i'll put them away for the next two days.. Two days in the freezer at -18c, then back to the fridge at 4 degrees c, & back to the wineador at 18c.. 3mths rest & I'll light them up.. In the mean time, lets view the shopping cart.. lol3.gif

My 2 cents is to go 3 or 4 days freezer. I can't find the chart that you can go by and I know -18C is probably at a 2 day stay on the chart but I personally add a day to it to be safe. I can't tell a difference between ones that are frozen and ones that are not.

I double bag the cigars seperately from the box which is also bagged, and also make sure I freeze the cedar that comes along before they go into the humi.

very interesting answers as many do freeze. I have never encountered a bug and have never put any sticks in the freezer. I also live in a very warm environment and as a side effect my humidor temps show it as they stay at 72. I know the little buggers are still a potential threat but I feel they were far more of an issue in years past. That said I find sound logic in Rushman's post about free insurance. I think I will ponder this line of thinking while I sit here and finish my Upmann no 1 :)

Don't freeze waste of time and flavor. I have bought from many retailers and never encountered one single bug!

+1. I have never frozen a single cigar in my life. I don't know a single smoker or collector who has seen a living, active lasioderma since 2004 or 2005. And before that the cases were extremely rare.

Freeze. Always. Never had a flavour issue due to it, and after some conversations in Cuba, now know why, and I'm further more un-concerned about it. No flavour issues at all (pending unblind/conscious knowledge) after 7 days of re-adjustment time back in your humidor post-freezing.

No cons, always benefits, as long as you do it correctly.

Lots of threads out there on this. Use the forum's search function, and you'll find loads of subject matter to help you out with this.

Cheers.

+1. I have never frozen a single cigar in my life. I don't know a single smoker or collector who has seen a living, active lasioderma since 2004 or 2005. And before that the cases were extremely rare.

I believe I recollect you mentioning this a number of times now. I also believe that there's been a number of us on here who have corrected you on that, that there's been a bunch of us witness to such. So I feel that it's head-in-the-sand methodology to state that not "...a single smoker or collector...has seen a living, active lasioderma since 2004 or 2005". There's a number of us who have (some just a few weeks ago in Cuba), so it's incorrect to word it as if the problem just isn't out there.

True, when it comes down to it, it's everyone's personal choice on what they're going to do with their personal stash/collection.

But maybe just because you haven't personally experienced it, doesn't mean it's not something for others to be cautious of.

Just my two cents.

I believe I recollect you mentioning this a number of times now. I also believe that there's been a number of us on here who have corrected you on that, that there's been a bunch of us witness to such. So I feel that it's head-in-the-sand methodology to state that not "...a single smoker or collector...has seen a living, active lasioderma since 2004 or 2005".

Just my two cents

You might want a refund on those two cents :D

Frank said he doesn't know a single smoker or collector who has seen a living, active lasioderma since 2004 or 2005. That's quite a different thing to saying 'not a single person has since living, active lasioderma since 2004 or 2005'

Depending on where/who you buy from and how careful with your storage conditions you are, plus with regular checking there is no need to freeze. It's just personal preference.

With the cigar circles Frank moves in I think it's fair to assume most people he knows meet the above criteria so he can say he statement quite honestly. I'm not too sure you can correct him on who he knows and their personal experiences related to him.

I used to freeze every single box upon arrival, but I stopped doing that years ago. I will bag and quarantine boxes before sticking them in the coolers. I haven't had an outbreak in 12 years. It's all personal preference. You just have to formulate your own methods... depending on compulsion, anal retentiveness, humidor configurations, climate, and storage conditions.

There's a number of us who have (some just a few weeks ago in Cuba), so it's incorrect to word it as if the problem just isn't out there.

In Cuba? So what? Are we talking about the presence of Lasiodermae Serricorne on planet Earth, or its presence in EXPORTED cigars?

The OP mentioned cigars he got from Czar, not customs rolled in a Havana hotel…

In Cuba? So what? Are we talking about the presence of Lasiodermae Serricorne on planet Earth, or its presence in EXPORTED cigars?

The OP mentioned cigars he got from Czar, not customs rolled in a Havana hotel…

That statement of mine explained both before and during this last Cuba trip, not just in Cuba, not just in "customs rolled in a Havana hotel."

Your earlier statement said that you didn't know of a single person who had seen them at all since 2004 or 2005.

Granted - as CQ said earlier, maybe your definition of "know[ing] a single person" is way more constrained than mine.

We have a community here of over seven thousand now, with several hundred being fairly active. There's been many people post about their experiences with them. And, to the best of my recollection (in my case included), in both exported cigars and in cigars bought on the island. I trust cigars from Czar's more than most, however, there's no 100% way that they could be sure of any kill-off of beetles/larvae/eggs within the cigars, relying only on Cuba's freezing methods. I know there's some retailers who do an additional freezing on all stock coming in from Habanos, not fully trusting their freezing, and yet there's others who don't do it at all. Many of us get our stock from a myriad of sources. It's the cross-contamination I'm worried about for any break-outs, and so, I just think it's best to freeze anything.

We aren't talking about cigars "rolled in a Havana hotel". We're talking about factory-rolled, legitimate Habanos cigars. Funnily enough, I haven't actually had any beetles found in custom-rolled stuff.

Again, I just think it's disingenuous to do a blanket statement that it hasn't been a problem for X-number of years, when people have indeed come across it.

Give me a few hundys and a month and I will show you a box of cigars riddled with shotgun like holes from the suckers. Guaranteed. I will seal off that sucker and leave it in my living room here in Playa and let the suckers work in the over humidified over heated climate.

Just sayin.

IN OTHER WORDS I ALWAYS FREEZE

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631682,-87.070592