Humidor Temp

Overproof

My RH is perfect, 65% but my temp inside the box is anywhere between 25-28 degrees with Brisbanes current weather. The desktop humidor is pretty much in the coolest part of the house that doesnt cop any sunlight. I cant really afford to have the AC running all day to keep the house temp down.

Is this a problem for beetle eggs hatching and mould etc.., if so does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks fuzz..I've been considering the esky..It's just a matter of finding something small enough (around 300)

I don't have much room in my 2bedroom and I doubt wifey wants an esky taking up the bedroom, but if its small enough she wont say boo innocent.gif

Can you use the little 6 ltr ones like this?

post-13704-0-79190000-1353040932_thumb.j

25-28 degrees? Thats way too high mate, unless your freezing your running the risk of beetles.

Freezing will stop any beetles hatching in the future, but storing your cigars at the above temps for extended periods of time could cause them to swell a little and may cause wrapper damage, not to mention the overly spongy feeling and taste differences.

I would also check your hygrometer, temps as high as that tend to bring high humidity levels with them, chances are your humidity levels might be higher than informed.

All the best mate.

Well, I put the desktop humidor IN the esky and it seems to have done a big bit of F all.

I dont really have the room for a wine fridge until the renovations are done on my house.

Sorry to hear that this hasn't worked for you. I know you've probably already looked for the coolest place in your house, but maybe try as a last resort the bathroom or laundry (if its tiled). They can sometime be cooler that the rest of the house (I know, not likely in Qld).

Thinking out of the box and being totally impractical, maybe stick an ice pack in the bottom of the esky and place you humi on top (raise it with a wooden block to separate the 2) in the interim? I have heard of people fitting an esky with TEC systems, but that's a bit over the top.

To be perfectly honest, as Croz stated, in Aus you just need active temp control in the hotter regions.

This is why I keep a humi at my office. Well, this and to keep my grubby hands off the good stash from impulse (read: drunk) smoking. Any chance you might have another location outside of the home that would suitable? I would be careful with that temp. I think binder and wrapper damage could occur. I'd wager the RH is higher than reported.

Good point Tigre. My shared office has air con Mon-Friday...It's probably not 16-18 but Id say its lower than the temps I'm getting.

Also my old man has a cool wine cellar under internal stairs which is not temp controlled but probably a lot cooler.

Why the hell didn't I think of any of this! It's probably a good thing too like you say..I'm shocking when I'm drunk!

Up unitl a couple of months ago i was only running desk top humidors.

The temps up here (Northern Territory) rarely dip below 30 degrees during the day

I froze or segrated all of my new cigars before adding them to my desktops to stop the beetle problem

In the 4 years i was running desktops i never had a beetle problem and didnt notice any burn, draw and flavor problems from my cigars being stored in higher than recommended temps.

I recently invested in a Wine Fridge mainly because my collection had out grown my storage

Hi

I would recommend the wine cooler ( thermoelectric).

There are a few in eBay. I got one (call prima) from only online for $220 delivered for 28 bottles wine cooler 65 litres. You will get perfect temp from 8-18. I would go for the 72 bottles one if I have space as this one are running out of room.

The one I have can store about 10-15 boxes depend on sizes.

Pm me if you want more info

Peace

Upmann

Another idea is to put an esky into a wine storage facility. I have most of my collection at a local Kennards. Temperature is a constant 15c and I just visit every couple of months to top up my desktop.

Works pretty well for me in Melbourne. Don't reckon any wine fridge would cut it through a streak of days in the high 30's.

Well, someone put us on to an Aldi special which was released today. After going to two stores that were sold out, I headed over to the other side of the tracks and sure enough they had 3 of these $100 18 bottle, thermo electric coolers left.

Like I mentioned above, space is a big issue at my pad so this size (49w x 66h x 34.5d) is perfect, plus I don't buy much and when I do it doesn't last long.

From what I understand I'll just need to block that little drain plug at the back, get some extra beads and possibly source some spanish cedar for shelving/drawers.

If the person that suggested this cooler is on this forum then thanks.

I've attached some pics, might be some available in other states? I'll update once its up and running.

Had to bi-carb it's guts to rid of that rancid plastic.

post-13704-0-06819000-1354707013_thumb.j

post-13704-0-95167500-1354707029_thumb.j

post-13704-0-71025900-1354707087_thumb.j

Well, someone put us on to an Aldi special which was released today. After going to two stores that were sold out, I headed over to the other side of the tracks and sure enough they had 3 of these $100 18 bottle, thermo electric coolers left.

Like I mentioned above, space is a big issue at my pad so this size (49w x 66h x 34.5d) is perfect, plus I don't buy much and when I do it doesn't last long.

From what I understand I'll just need to block that little drain plug at the back, get some extra beads and possibly source some spanish cedar for shelving/drawers.

If the person that suggested this cooler is on this forum then thanks.

I've attached some pics, might be some available in other states? I'll update once its up and running.

Had to bi-carb it's guts to rid of that rancid plastic.

Do you mind if I ask which Aldis you went to? I'm contemplating setting up a wineador myself, and that sounds like an excellent deal.