Consequences of strict tobacco law

The main Finnish news company writes that after hiding tobacco products in shops from the beginning of this year the sales numbers have increased and shopkeepers have also increased their orders from distributors. People are buying more tobacco at once and it makes them also smoke more.

Ha-ha, this is for you effin' nannies! :moon:

Prohibition has never worked.

Back in the UK, where ciggies are £8 plus a packet, more and more illegal imports come in....

Sadly, most cigar retailers are gone too, as they cannot sell too many at £15 plus per stick.

Bonkers.

Someone in one of our local supermarkets told me the other day that if you ask for a particular brand at the now covered tobacco stand and they don't have it.....they're not allowed to pull back the screens in order to let you browse for an alternative!! :clown2: you really couldn't make the sh1t up!!

Someone in one of our local supermarkets told me the other day that if you ask for a particular brand at the now covered tobacco stand and they don't have it.....they're not allowed to pull back the screens in order to let you browse for an alternative!! :clown2: you really couldn't make the sh1t up!!

They've had this policy in Aus for a few years (5?) but I'm not sure if it was a training element in shops or legislated to be so. Soon the major retailers here will begin training their staff to stop serving a customer after 3 'failed' requests, otherwise it can be construed as promotion/advertising/education.

"I'm sorry Sir, through no fault of your own we are out of stock of your first 3 choices and now you have to leave"

Sadly, most cigar retailers are gone too, as they cannot sell too many at £15 plus per stick.

Bonkers.

+1 I'd have to cut down drastically on how many sticks per week i smoked if i was to pay UK prices. Its stupid because if the tax wasn't so high here and the prices were competative with buying from overseas i'd love nothing more than to go to a shop locally, look at the cigars before i buy, support a local business.. rather than buy sight unssen over the internet. Unfortunally this isnt the case and not one penny of my money is spent on cigars in this country! So again goverment legislation backfires.. they lose out on any revenue on cigar purchases from me, and i suspect alot of people who now shop overseas! Shops shutting, folk going out of business.. again loss of tax! so on and so on... and has it really had any impact on peoples smoking habbits?? hmmmmm!

Idiots!

mid 90's when canada started getting anal about smoking...and all the stupid regulations...since then teen smoking has increased steadily.

bans on advertising...plain packaging...how well has this worked with marijuana sales over the years???

derrek

+1 I'd have to cut down drastically on how many sticks per week i smoked if i was to pay UK prices. Its stupid because if the tax wasn't so high here and the prices were competative with buying from overseas i'd love nothing more than to go to a shop locally, look at the cigars before i buy, support a local business.. rather than buy sight unssen over the internet. Unfortunally this isnt the case and not one penny of my money is spent on cigars in this country! So again goverment legislation backfires.. they lose out on any revenue on cigar purchases from me, and i suspect alot of people who now shop overseas! Shops shutting, folk going out of business.. again loss of tax! so on and so on... and has it really had any impact on peoples smoking habbits?? hmmmmm!

Idiots!

+ 2 personally I won’t buy any more than singles or minis here the cost is just to high. And it’s a shame its nice to go to a local shop and see what they have but boxes and multiple sticks are just too expensive at uk prices

Meanwhile, while in Lithuania, I notice the better cigarettes go for the equivalent of £1.93....

Maz, less scrupulous types than myself might suggest you purchase an inexpensive trailer and fill it, and every nook and cranny of

your camper with these relatively inexpensive cigs, and sell them at a large profit when you get back "home".

This could help fund a new house if and when you decide to plant roots once again :-)

Any government types who might read and take offense - pucker up....... then send your concerns to: [email protected]

They've had this policy in Aus for a few years (5?) but I'm not sure if it was a training element in shops or legislated to be so. Soon the major retailers here will begin training their staff to stop serving a customer after 3 'failed' requests, otherwise it can be construed as promotion/advertising/education.

Rules differ slightly from state to state. You are allowed to use pricing boards or pricing tickets, but not both at the same time. Also, you may display a product to a customer, only if the customer requests it and only that paricular product.

I haven't heard of this 3 failed requests thing. As far as I know, it's not being instructed in our stores. The customer may make as many requests as they want, and we can only show them the products they specifically ask for.

Maz, less scrupulous types than myself might suggest you purchase an inexpensive trailer and fill it, and every nook and cranny of

your camper with these relatively inexpensive cigs, and sell them at a large profit when you get back "home".

This could help fund a new house if and when you decide to plant roots once again :-)

Any government types who might read and take offense - pucker up....... then send your concerns to: [email protected]

The thought had occured to me..."yes mr customs man, they're all for personal consumption"

These laws are about taxes and control. No one in Govt is altruistic or gives a rats posterior about your health. This chases the local businessman offshore and costs the local economy jobs. Just ask Rob...

More masterminds at work. It is a wonder that anyone in government can find their own a-holes. They certainly are adept at reaming ours!!! The new NY city 16 oz. soft drink law just went into affect. Hell, if I was a resturaunt I would simply offer 2 16 oz. for the price of the 32, thusly filling the Jersey landfills two times as fast with disposable cups. Ahhh.... the mastermind Statist at work!

-the Pig

These laws are about taxes and control. No one in Govt is altruistic or gives a rats posterior about your health. This chases the local businessman offshore and costs the local economy jobs. Just ask Rob...

More masterminds at work. It is a wonder that anyone in government can find their own a-holes. They certainly are adept at reaming ours!!! The new NY city 16 oz. soft drink law just went into affect. Hell, if I was a resturaunt I would simply offer 2 16 oz. for the price of the 32, thusly filling the Jersey landfills two times as fast with disposable cups. Ahhh.... the mastermind Statist at work!

-the Pig

There's certainly a point of what you said.

Here are some other reasons for that stupid law.

- New world order. The major part of people must obay the rich ones. Educated people will have more rights than the rest and you can not get an education if you are not rich. Tobacco will be classified as a drug in the future, because those rich ones who are building the new world just doesn't happen to like tobacco. In my opinion this is a very dirty reason. Fascism, I would say.

- There are more non-smokers than smokers. For the politicians it's easy way to fish votes.

- For the doctors against tobacco it is easier to handle for example sports related injuries than tobacco related illness. The way they want also brings them more money.

There are other reason as well, not only one. But are they acceptable - No effin' way!

I was shocked when I read about that NYC law against soft drink bottle sizes. Gsus!

Ef those people. To keep myself calm when thinking about this very irritating subject I'm smoking an effin' great Party Lonsdale. Ef. :)