I had a member e-mail me this morning about the R&J Churchill.

He had just experienced a succulent example (tubos) from 2008. "a delicious smoke, fruity and hints of chocolate went up in intensity as the smoke progressed. Creamy smooth all the way"

He referred to a review we did of a 2008 R&J Churchill that was...well...insipid. I have found recent productions to be far more consistent but as always with R&J, production/blend inconsistency at that time (2005-2009) was problematic. I must say however that you could get some mind blowing Tubos .

For those of you who smoke them regularly or periodically, what are your thoughts on the R&J Churchill over the past 10-12 years?

I had a member e-mail me this morning about the R&J Churchill.

He had just experienced a succulent example (tubos) from 2008. "a delicious smoke, fruity and hints of chocolate went up in intensity as the smoke progressed. Creamy smooth all the way"

He referred to a review we did of a 2008 R&J Churchill that was...well...insipid. I have found recent productions to be far more consistent but as always with R&J, production/blend inconsistency at that time (2005-2009) was problematic. I must say however that you could get some mind blowing Tubos .

For those of you who smoke them regularly or periodically, what are your thoughts on the R&J Churchill over the past 10-12 years?

These used to be in my top five and now I cannot even smoke them. The quality has gone way downhill. Very little flavor, complexity has declined. It has fallen off a cliff in my opinion.

I've had quite a few (~10) with various box dates 2007 - 2011, tubos and not. Not one of them was better than mediocre. :(

I just got two as freebies that I will try - hope they break the streak.

I remember them from the late 90's (yet even when I wasn't so versed in things Habanos), and I remember them being golden smooth delish, with character and enjoyment!!! The ones I had from around 2002 to 2006 were all so-so to outright nasty. It got to the point that these weren't an enjoyable cigar anymore - more that it was a "chore" to smoke them, in that they were boring and one-dimensional, and it was just a "blah" cigar to smoke, just a huge one instead. I've got a number of them sitting in my humidor, mostly a few solo singles (2 or 3), and a few tubos (both in the new painted tubo (2), and a few of the older [2005/2006?] plain aluminum tubos [2 also]).

I've been sitting on them, and just hoping and dreaming that they'll come together at around the five year mark.

This has got me thinking about them again....albeit, not with high hopes....

I've only had one and it was the worst cigar I have ever smoked. I bought it from a local tobacconist and he had correct humidity (65%) and temp (about 20C). I'm fairly sure it was real because half way through smoking it I gave up and pulled it apart. There was nothing funny looking inside, no loose/shredded tobacco or anything like that. Plus I've bought sticks from this bloke before which were all fine.

The flavour was like burning rubber: acrid, harsh, acidic.

I would be tempted to try one again (from the Czar of course) if I could justify spending money on a single that I wasn't sure I would enjoy. I might trade for one at some point just to see if my experience was a one-off.

Staying on topic, the only memorable RyJ churchills were pre 98s had couple yrs ago. I had heard how bad they got and have stayed away. This is one that really changes over age. I would be willing to give the post 08s a chance, in perhaps 5yrs time.

Have five left. Afraid to smoke them. The last two were plugged at the halfway point. They are amongst the first cigars I've ever smoked. But sadly, haven't felt they were worth lighting up these days. :(

[/i]He referred to a review we did of a 2008 R&J Churchill that was...well...insipid. I have found recent productions to be far more consistent but as always with R&J, production/blend inconsistency at that time (2005-2009) was problematic. I must say however that you could get some mind blowing Tubos .

It might be time for us to o another review of this cigar?