Do the cheaper humidors work ok or am I wasting $?

nikesupremedunk

Decided to take a step forward and buy my first humidor! However, there are so many options out there I'm kind of overwhelmed. I'm looking for a medium size one that will hold 25-50 (don't want a HUGE box) and something that won't break bank. I searched on amazon and came across some affordable ones for <$50, but are those ok or am I just wasting money on something I would have to repurchase? Also, I understand I would need a hygrometer and the gel.

Would it be possible to get everything I need to start out for <$100? I also need a cutter as I don't have one yet, and that also seems to run about $15-20. Recommendations will also be very helpful. Thanks.

If you are wanting to use it as a smoke now box, that's fine. However, for long term storage, you are better off buying a cooler. Heck, for 25-50 sticks, I'd go for a large Tupperware box. It may not look as pretty, but it would seal much better than a cheap humi.

If you really want to go down the path of a small desktop, PM fellow FOH member Mark (n2advnture) over at cigarmony. He's got some on his site and can give you advise on how they perform.

I have a couple of desktops. 40 bucks usd each. Works fine. I leave my aaing boxes with rob. One of the things any member here will say is whatever u plan to buy. Go bigger.

Anyway bought mine online.

The inexpensive humidors should do fine. Just make sure you properly season and calibrate your hygrometer. Should have some good source material here and definitely on YT.

Since it looks like your just getting started I would recommend taking Fuzz's advise and just going with a simple Tupperware container w/ a Boveda Humidification bag I use them in all my humidors. Check the frequently bought together section.

Happy Smoking Brother!

I second the tupperware suggestion.

I have a large tupperware box for my boxes, and then a few humidors. For my cheap humis, one leaks moisture fast, so I have to constantly monitor it. The other only needs to be checked/touched every two months(ish). It really depends on how well the cheap humi is made.

No matter what you use, get some digital hygrometers and calibrate them a few times a year.

I have a super cheap 100 ct. humi that I bought about 15 years ago. It has been in use since I bought it for something like $50. At first it was unstable, but over time it's become awesome. Not a tight fit, so I usually place something heavy on top of it. But the inside I believe has become "seasoned" over such a long period that the sticks taste great after a long rest in it. The odor when it's opened and closed is fantastic.

But personally, I think the cheapies require a lot more attention and if you're in for the long haul, get a decent one. Over the life your new hobby the extra bucks aren't going to mean a thing. I wouldn't opt for a cheapie again because of the effort, inconsistency, and intangible pleasure in just having a nice humi.

Coolers are the best and cheapest solution for box storing. for singles, i just store them in empty cigar boxes in the cooler...I have two coolers, works like magic

Coolers are the best and cheapest solution for box storing. for singles, i just store them in empty cigar boxes in the cooler...I have two coolers, works like magic

A good piece of advice here. Invest the money in cigars first.

Michel

Coolers huh...

Another concern I have is that I live on the third floor and all the heat travels up and gets trapped there. I don't have the luxury to run the AC 24/7 so I was worried about the temperature. If I store it in a cooler, (assuming we're talking about those plastic containers you take to the beach?) do I still need a humidification device inside?

I've used really expensive cutters, I've used punches and I've used scissors. This is the best cutter I have ever used, I will never use anything but this. This gives you the perfect cut every time! If anything ever happens to it, they will send you a new one.

http://www.cubancraf....php/item_id/78

Coolers huh...

Another concern I have is that I live on the third floor and all the heat travels up and gets trapped there. I don't have the luxury to run the AC 24/7 so I was worried about the temperature. If I store it in a cooler, (assuming we're talking about those plastic containers you take to the beach?) do I still need a humidification device inside?

Depending on the size of the cooler you get and how humid it is in your apartment, just throw a pound of beads (RH, Heartfelt, etc) in the cooler and you should be okay.

Coolers huh...

When I got my first humidor last year I received similar advice about the cooler. I thought, "Yeah, I'm not going to need one of those." WRONG! I am now trying to decided between the cooler or wine fridge. :lol:

If you're just wanting to get your feet wet, go with the Tupperware and Boveda combo. Cheap, easy and reliable.

They all "work"... but not effectively. I've been using 3 120qt coolers for 12 years. Won't be spending the money on a humidor until I can afford a temp-controlled, 6-7 ft armoire.

So after much research, I decided to go with a small wine cooler. My room can reach almost 100 degrees and I don't have a basement or have the luxury of running AC 24/7. So I think a wine cooler is a must, since regular plastic coolers probably can't keep the temperature down low enough anyway. Planning to put my order in soon for my first CC's, so I'm going to have to get busy this weekend and prepare for the big arrival! Already have a hygrometer, calibration packet, and some beads on order from amazon but I think now I have to pick up some unscented kitty litter as well as 2 little bottles of beads probably won't do anything. :thumbsdwn:

Thanks to everyone for the advice!