Best of the Best March 2012

Best of the Best March 2012

I spent early last week at the warehouse picking FOH stock for March.

I thought I would do a ramble through my impressions of the best stock available. Should you wish to order any of this stock contact Diana and stipulate should you wish a PE/HQ/PSP box (where available). There are normally no more than 1-2 PSP boxes. it is the reason they are PSP. All boxes here are handpicked including PE.

There are a few people from last months Best of the Best that I have stock for. I will contact you during the course of today. Tranquillo. If you have any questions shoot me an e-mail. Prices are in USD inclusive delivery.

It may take us a day or two to get back to you. it is first in first served basis and naturally we often receive more requests for certain boxes than there are boxes. We will confirm.

For Aussies, you can e-mail me for your "underground" price.

Bolivar Belicoso Fino

PSP $ 301

HQ $271

PE $228

Order Request

The BBF are continuing their roll. One of my favourite cigars currently delivering the best characteristics of BBF with an extra level of richness. If you have had great BBF in the past then this month is the time to jump in and pick up a box. I have probably only made that statement three times in the past three years. Like anything in the world of Cuba, you never know how long it will last. Great quality from PE all the way through.

Bolivar Corona Gigantes (25's)

PSP $386

HQ $348

PE $294

Order Request

The pick of the Churchill's this month. Gorgeous. I have been disappointed in the standard of Boli Corona Gigantes of the past few months but they are back to where they should be and beyond.

Cohiba Coronas Especiales (25's)

HQ $377

Order Request

I would only ever purchase these in HQ or PSP form. There is plenty of rubbish around with construction issues. The Coronas Especiales are a cigar that needs to be spot on and these are exceptional.

Cohiba Genios (25's)

PSP $ 588

HQ $ 539

Order Request

Another cigar which is all over the place in terms of quality. Only 2 boxes met my standard this month and another cigar where anything less than HQ for me does not cut it. At this price point they need to be superb.

Cohiba Robusto (25's)

PE $335

Order Request

These are high quality PE not far short of HQ. Really good CORO have been difficult to find of late and these fit the bill. it was one of this stock that I smoked at Ben's 18th birthday at home on Sunday. Nice to see the cream and honey come through.

Cohiba Secretos (25's)

PSP $ 235

HQ $ 215

Order Request

A gem of a cigar when right. Bitter and acrid when it has that dull or dark thick wrapper. Too many of the latter. These are the ones I would purchase myself.

Cohiba Siglo 1 (25's)

HQ $ 215

PE $ 185

Order Request

Another cigar that has been dodgy in quality of late. This is an excellent batch and it is hopefully a sign of things to come. At it's best it is brilliant.

Cohiba Siglo 2 (25's)

PSP $ 314

HQ $ 287

Order Request

When on its game it is the the most complex of the Petit Corona's. These are on their game.

Cohiba Siglo IV (25's)

HQ $391

Order Request

So great to see some HQ Siglo IV. Spice, power yet suave. A great Corona Extra when it is right and an absolute treat. My pick of the Siglo Lineup.

Cohiba Siglo V (25's)

HQ $499

Order Request

Such a classy cigar. I don't smoke very many of them mainly because I struggle finding the right quality. I enjoy the cedar, cream and honey which lingers and lingers. Elegant.

Cohiba Siglo VI (25's)

PSP $578

HQ $529

Order Request

I have been bitterly disappointed in the Cohiba Siglo VI over much of the past year. Thank God that this month has arrived a batch which has restored my faith. I often make the analogy that picking high end cigars is like shopping for fruit in season. Wait until the right boxes become available and then purchase. this would be the time for the Siglo VI.

Cohiba Esplendidos (25's)

HQ $665

Order Request

Another cigar I would never purchase blind with the variations being extreme. I want oil/sheen in the wrapper, I want great construction and a cedar/tobacco/cream aroma at cold. I know what I am going to get with that profile and that is a sensational Esplendido.

Cohiba Lanceros (25's)

HQ $469

Order Request

The prince of Cohiba. So elegant in the hand, so complex on the palate. This one needs time to be savoured slowly. Great boxes that will deliver.

Cuaba Exclusivos (25's)

HQ $237

Order Request

For the Cuaba fans out there biggrin.gif I have really struggled to find great Cuaba in any format of late. If you are after a box (and a single box it is), then this is it.

Diplomatico Number 2 (25's)

PE $241

Order Request

High end PE boxes available. I know here is a lot of demand for the Dip 2 and these will hit the mark. They are smoking very well now and for me anyway are ready to put into the immediate smoking rotation.

H. Upmann Magnum 46 (25's)

PSP $295HQ $266

PE $225

Order Request

The 46 has really been a stellar performer of 2011. The right ones deliver every time for me akin to the Partagas 898 V or Short. These can be smoked now or laid down for a decade, your choice. Just beautiful examples and one of my "Go To" cigars (and I smoke PE in the main).

H. Upmann Magnum 50 (25's)

PSP $354

HQ $318

PE $268

Order Request

Glorious. Nov 09. Really stunning examples of this cigar which is one of the few that I can find that "Stonefruit" character that ken talks about. Just a cracker of a cigar when at this quality level. Our local members have been plowing through them like there is no tomorrow.

H. Upmann Magnum 50 (10's)

PSP $ 148

HQ $ 134

Order Request

2010/11 from memory. Again they are stunning and should elicit the best characteristics of the Magnum 50. Enjoy!

H. Upmann Magnum 48 LE (25's)

HQ $ 267

Order Request

The last of our stocks. I have always enjoyed these with a coffee and a newspaper. You want them to have an oily wrapper but without the sandpaper texture. I will miss these when they are gone. The size is not really to my liking but the coffee/chocolate flavour profile certainly is.

H. Upmann Petit Coronas (25's)

PSP $ 197

PE $ 149

Order Request

Love this Petit Corona. Shortbread/almond/milk coffee. When they are well constructed they are excellent. When they are like this they are magnificent.

H. Upmann Number 2 (25's)

HQ $ 299

Order Request

I know a lot of you have been raving about the recent HQ and PSP Upmann Number 2. Only a few boxes at this level this month which is a shame but you are in for a treat.

Hoyo De Monterrey Churchill (25's)

HQ $ 373

Order Request

I don't see many quality boxes of HDM Churchill. Not sure why but there isn't lot of love going into them most days. This single box is an exception. The last HDM Churchill I smoked was on my Christmas break at the beach. Late afternoon, I put my fly rod down and just spent some time watching the gentle surf as dusk encroached. There was an element of sweet cream, tobacco and cedar I can taste still.

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Especial (25's)

HQ $ 288

Order Request

This cigar flies under the radar but has a legion of fans particularly in Asia. To many it is the finest of the Hoyo's and very approachable when young. These are seriously great boxes.

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Especial (10's)

HQ $ 122

Order Request

Same comments as above.

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No 1 (25's)

HQ $ 267

PE $226

Order Request

There has been a run on these after our recent video review and for good reason. They are bloody great. The review was on a PE box but the extra oil content of the HQ takes it up a notch.

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No 2 (25's)

PSP $281

HQ $254

PE $215

Order Request

In my mind the finest Robusto coming out of Cuba today. Has consistently been for 7 months or so. They are medium bodied but rich in flavour. Viscous mouth feel dripping in essential Hoyo goodness. I can't seriously recommend them enough and at this quality it is a no brainer. The run won't/can't continue.

Hoyo De Monterrey Le Hoyo Des Dieux (25's)

HQ $241

Order Request

Beautiful sheen on the wrappers of these. The aroma intoxicating. They are good now. These will be great with time and like all Des Dieux they need time because almost like no other cigar they transform and blossom. If you have space in the back of your humidor and you have the patience then pick them up with the utmost confidence that this is the right box.

Hoyo De Monterrey Le Hoyo Depute (25's)

PSP $173

HQ $157

Order Request

The smaller line of Hoyo's are a great smoke if you can get them without construction issues which is a serious issue. The Depute is a highly satisfying cigar with toasted tobacco, cloves and a nice woodiness. Those who love them already know.

Hoyo De Monterrey Le Hoyo Du Maire (25's)

PSP $135

HQ $124

Order Request

I only buy (yes I buy my own cigars) Du Maire when they are at this quality. To me it is a waste of money otherwise given the level of plugs. These are simply gorgeous and deliver for me when I am short of time. My favourite cigar at first light when I have arrived at a fishing destination and am rigging up the fly rod and scanning the water.

Hoyo De Monterrey Le Hoyo Du Prince(25's)

PSP $196

HQ $ 177

Order Request

One of the first cigars I ever fell in love with. There was a time when it was one of the best Petit Coronas being produced but a very sad period which lasted the best part of a decade put pay to that. They are back in form. I enjoy smoking them young for a punchier HDM profile with still the lingering sweet spices but they age superbly. One for the humidor if you are seeking something special in this vitola.

Hoyo De Monterrey Short Hoyo Piramides LE (10's)

HQ $ 130

PE $ 119

Order Request

These have been hit and miss for me. I have had some great ones and some very flat ones...not much in between. On the other hand reports from members have been very good on the stock we have selected. I try to select thin oily wrappers with a spicy woody aroma to the box...touch of sweet spice. These are the ones which have performed best for me.

Juan Lopez Petit Corona (25's)

HQ $ 172

Order Request

This is such a frustrating cigar. When on they are a lovely interplay of soft spice, flat white coffee, fresh baked bread, floral notes. Unfortunately they are plagued with a tendency to a hard draw. This is the only box I selected and almost had a coronary out of disappointment regarding the others.

Juan Selection Number 1 (25's)

HQ $ 240

Order Request

Many a members choice as the best Corona Gorda coming out of Cuba in the past few years, even the best Juan Lopez. To me they need a few years age on them to get to that level but the level of complexity is difficult to emulate elsewhere.

Juan Selection Number 2 (25's)

HQ $ 230

Order Request

We did a great video review on these a few weeks back (PE). Ultra consistent and like a faithful brown dog. Richly satisfying. The lift in class of these will only enhance the experience.

Juan Selection Number 4 Regional (25's)

HQ $398

Order Request

I think these are some of the richest cigars coming out of Cuba today. I am in love with them. Medium full, smooth and with real weight on the palate. Typical JL flavours and class personified. They are great now but I can only imagine with another 4-5 years on them.

Montecristo Edmundo (25's)

HQ $291

Order Request

I would be worried buying these blind at the moment. Quality is OK at best. I could only find a few boxes which met the benchmark for the program which is disappointing as they are popular. I might be getting too picky as I get older.

Montecristo Especial (25's)

HQ $348

Order Request

One of my all time favourite cigars and boxes like these are what I spend my on coin on. Elegant, deep flavour profile of coffee and cream. Smoke slowly and let the true essence of Montecristo wash over you.

Montecristo Especial No 2 (25's)

PSP $299

HQ $274

Order Request

A Montecristo gem. These are diamonds. Skinnies have to be near perfect and these meet the requirement.

Montecristo Grand Edmundo (10's)

HQ $201

PE $174

Order Request

A fair few of you regard this cigar as the best Monte today. It certainly is a rich bugger with Monte flavour profile on steroids.

Montecristo A (25's)

HQ $750

Order Request

One box made the cut. If you want a 3 hour cigar then it had better be perfect . Great Box of A's and when I retire and have the time it is the box I would like to have.

Montecristo No 1 (25's)

PSP $316

Order Request

Another cigar I have struggled to find any quality with. Then this one box shone like a beacon of light. magnificent example. If only they could get their act together and stop producing the run of the mill rubbish 1's and 3's I see.

Montecristo No 2 (25's)

PSP $356

HQ $321

PE $271

Order Request

Eureka. One of the best batches of Monte 2 I have seen and that was from a single mastercase. the rest were crap (as were some from this mastercase but it is always so). Serious Montecristo 2 quality with wrapper, construction, aroma exceptional. The PE are not far below HQ so don't hesitate there. There are months to purchase Monte 2's. This is one of them.

Montecristo No 4 (25's)

HQ $189

PE $160

Order Request <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

After months bitching about the poor quality of Monte 4's I finally have some that meet the standard required. Again it was only a small portion of the M4 shipment but they are reserved for FOH. Great M4 are a treat and these in either PE or HQ will give you that Monte 4 rush.

Montecristo No 5 (25's)

PSP $179

HQ $163

Order Request

This is a turn up for the books. I normally struggle to find any quality No 5's. It is almost as if no one in Cuba cares. These were a nice surprise and I am pretty sure they will be a one off before normal programming resumes. If you are a fan...pick up one of these.

Montecristo Petit Edmundo (25's)

HQ $249

PE $211

Order Request

The struggle for great Monte Petit Edmundo continues. There are only a couple of excellent boxes. Some days picking stock are just depressing.

Partagas 898 Varnished (25's)

HQ $306

PE $260

Order Request

No more than a few days go by before I pick up this old friend again. It is one of my most favoured cigars. I love the richness, the spice, the earthiness, the intensity, the size. It satisfies me in a way that very few cigars do. These boxes are what I buy for myself. order with confidence.

Partagas Serie D No 4 (25's)

PSP $291

HQ $263

PE $222

Order Request

There are times when you get excited opening D4's. This was one of those times as I could skim a good quantity of great boxes for FOH. I think the D4 has been the only cigar to challenge the HDM Epicure 2 as the best Robusto out of Cuba in the past 7 months. The HDM in my opinion has had better quality consistency but when you have boxes of this quality then it really comes down to personal preference. These D4 are the bees knees. One went into my locker as who the hell knows what the quality will be like next month.

Partagas Serie P No 2 (25's)

HQ $305

PE $257

Order Request

Quality stocks have been thin on the ground in the P2 realm. One of those cigars that I have a constant struggle to get the right boxes. I haven't got many but if you are a P2 fan these these are the ones. I do enjoy the flavour profile of great P2. They need to have some oily sheen on the wrapper...some punch to the aroma.

Partagas Shorts (50's)

PSP $343

HQ $308

PE $260

Order Request

There is a shortage of shorts cabs over the next few months so if you are looking for a great cab pick these up. One of the most consistent cigars I know and another friend who accompanies me regularly.

Partagas Salomones (10's)

HQ $235

Order Request

A great box of Partagas Salomones.....who would have thought they made any rolleyes.gif One for the fans. At least you know this box has every chance of being a cracker. I just haven't had a cracker Salomones as yet.

Por Larranaga Encantos Regional (25's)

HQ $337

Order Request

One of the cigars I believe will be all time greats in a few years. If you haven't revisited them from last year, try one over the next week or so and you will see how they are evolving. I don't get excited easily. This one excites me.

Por Larranaga Belicoso Extra Regional (25's)

PSP $405

HQ $368

Order Request

Another cigar that goes under the radar but has a serious following. Get the right boxes and that PL sweet intensity is there in spades. These are perfect examples of the best produced.

Por Larranaga Robustos Regional (25's)

HQ $ 360

PE $ 309

Order Request

This cigar keeps getting better and better. Stocks won't last forever as we are now finding with the Ramon Allones Esupendos. I will be sorry to see the end of the PL Robusto. Medium/Medium full, rich, sweet edge. Quality.

Punch Coronas (25's)

PE $ 179

Order Request

Good quality Punch Coronas from September 07. Trying to find good Corona's these days is a akin to needle in a haystack.

Punch Petit Coronas Del Punch (25's)

PSP $ 199

HQ $ 181

PE $ 152

Order Request

I love these little buggers. I really do. Medium full, nutty, sour cream edge. Touch of pepper. A PC I regularly reach for when I want a change of pace.

Punch Punch (25's)

PSP $ 296

HQ $ 267

Order Request

These are the type of Punch Punch I put in my locker. Out of a couple of hundred boxes I think 7 made the program. This is the problem with Punch Punch (and plenty more).

Punch Sabrosos Regional (25's)

PSP $ 462

HQ $ 420

Order Request

Quickly becoming one of my favourite Piramides. Needs a 12 month rest. One of the few cigars I have got that "Peanut Butter" flavour from recently. Peanut Butter, toasted tobacco, leather.

Punch Super Robustos Del Punch (50's)

HQ $ 895

Order Request

These are turning out to be stunning cigars if anything eclipsing the Ramon Allones Estupendo of the same regional release. We have really hoed into these of late. Still years to go but there is fresh bread, mushroom, chinese spice. If anyone can stretch for a quality cab of these for the years to come then you will be in for an absolute treat.

Quai D'Orsay Superiores (Robusto) Regional (25's)

PSP $ 398

HQ $ 363

PE $ 311

Order Request

looking at the numbers on the boxes these were very early boxed (first 50). Like all QD these cigars will come into their own with 5 years but they are very approachable now if just still a little closed. 6 months will see them open up. 3-5 years transform. I am confident enough to call them a future classic. These boxes are the top of the tree.

Quai D'Orsay Imperiales (25's)

PE $280

Order Request

Talk about a fan club. I find them smoking very well but again 5 years transforms them.

Quai D'Orsay Coronas (25's)

PE $179

Order Request

I have to thank the die hard fans for making me revisit this cigar a few years ago. I was never enamoured with this cigar until I tried some with age. If you have the patience, these are excellent boxes.

Rafael Gonzalez Corona Extra (25's)

PSP $271

HQ $244

PE $205

Order Request

Class. You need to be in the right frame of mind, not too busy. It is a cigar which appreciates you giving it the attention to pick up the many sublte nuances of flavour and allow it to take you on the journey. Great cigar and some stunning examples.

Rafael Gonzalez Panatelas Extra (25's)

PSP $110

PE $ 97

I haven't had one of these for some time so I can't pass comment. I just don't regularly see them in this quality.

<b><br class="Apple-interchange-newline">Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona (25's)</b>

PE $144

A great Sunday morning milk coffee cigar and another one that flies under the radar.

Ramon Allones Specially Selected (25's)

HQ $236

PE $198

Order Request

Quality in the main was solid. These boxes are the pick of the crop. Not too many HQ but I wouldn't hesitate on the PE as they are of a high standard well above the average.

Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos (25's)

HQ $303

Order Request

I loved them when they were released and am loving them more every day. If Ramon Allones had an R&J Cazadores style cigar then this would be it. They have settled down nicely but still full....just fleshing out into the early stages of toast and dried fruit flavours.

Order Request

<b><br class="Apple-interchange-newline">Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme (25's)</b>

HQ $230

Order Request

After the crap ERDMCX I have seen over the past 6 months these are a revelation. They must have had someone new in the factory. If you are after a box...don't wait for next month.

Romeo y Julieta Petit Corona (25's)

PSP $209

HQ $189

PE $ 159

Order Request

These have been a fantastic little treat and a reminder of how good Romeo y Julieta can be....and we all need a reminder from time to time. I think it is the first time they have made any of my recommendations lists and it is well deserved.

Saint Luis Rey Double Corona (50's)

HQ $726

Order Request

For the patient ones. Step one...get a great box of SLR DC. Step two...put them away for 8-10years. Step three....bask in their glory.

Saint Luis Rey Regios (25's)

HQ $224

Order Request

One of the zestiest tasting Robusto's of all. Once upon a time Smithy described them as having a "Fruit Salad" flavour. he was right...the regio has lovely hints of fresh green apple, green grape. I love these cigars and will tuck into one every few days normally early afternoon.

Saint Luis Rey Serie A (25's)

HQ $240

Order Request

When someone asks me to describe the best of Cuban cigars I automatically think of Sir Winston, 898V, and the old days of the SLR Serie A before they screwed up quality control. I am happy to say they are back with a vengeance.

Saint Luis Rey Pacificos Regional (25's)

HQ $457

One of my top 5 cigars. I am floored by the flavour diversity of what I am seeing with these. It has a fresh flavour (ala Regio) with the honeyed notes of the SLR Double Corona. I can't recommend them more highly except that I am stock piling them for myself.

San Cristobal Principe (25's)

PE $135

Order Request

Love the little molasses + coffee flavour. Another of those great late morning, early afternoon cigars that delivers big on flavour but doesn't take an hour.

San Cristobal La Punta (25's)

HQ $ 277

PE $ 234

Order Request

The other end of the spectrum to the Boli Beli. This one is all sweetness and spice. San Cristobal Molasses, toasted tobacco, cake. i love it as a change of pace cigar.

Sancho Panza Sanchos (10's)

HQ $ 243

Order Request

i see them too tight, too loose, crap wrappers etc etc. This one box is a gem.

Vegas Robaina Clasicos (25's)

HQ $ 279

Order Request

The last of the mohikans and stunning examples. It really is a lovely smooth, cocoa rich cigar that was cruelled by poor construction. You do not have that concern here.

PSP $278

HQ $251

PE $215

Order Request

i almost fell off my chair when I saw great Famosos. it has been 10 months or thereabouts. Someone does care wink.gif

Ahhhhh....sigh! :daydream: Dream a little dream of Habanos delight!

Good work Pres, appreciated...i need to take it easy on the spend front and then you have Cab's of 50 party shorts...i'll try not to give in...but I will later I am sure

Very cool - email sent to Di for one of the PSP2 and one of the ERDM CS. Was going to get one of those Partagas Shorty cabs while I was at it... but just couldn't pull the trigger on that one at the moment.

Thanks, Rob!

~ Greg ~

Fantastic work and format! I loved reading through this. No where else on the planet can you find this dedication and service! I hope to take you up on a box in the near future.

Well done prez. There ain't nobody else in your profession that would (1) care to select the cream of the crop for its members/customers and (2) take the time to do it thoughtfully.

Well done.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631640,-87.070524

Well done prez. There ain't nobody else in your profession that would (1) care to select the cream of the crop for its members/customers and (2) take the time to do it thoughtfully.

Well done.

The fact that Prez is even "allowed" to select the cream of the crop, pretty much says it all!!!

:2thumbs:

This is why FoH rules. They're all the best with customer service and all pure lovers of the leaf not some commercia brand just trying to sell whatever hits the shelves