Starting Wine Cooler Humidor

Jason55555

Hey everyone I've been reading threw all the treads involving wine humidors and got some great tips and ideas, I've now taken the steps and got my self a themoelectric wine cooler. That being said I would like to ask if members would like to give some tips or ideas in regards to lessons learned building a wine humidor.

These are the main tips I've gained so far reading threads...

1.Need to get plastic smell out

2.Need to put small computer fans to circulate air

3.Need to get some beads to regulate humidity

4.Need to plug the drip hole at the bottom so air/humidity doesn't drop

5.Keep cigars away from back of fridge so no water gets on cigars

Questions

- I like keeping my cigars in orignal cigar boxes , but I was thinking about getting some of that slim spanish ceder sheets that come in cigar boxes to line my wine cooler, good idea or pointless if cigars are in there boxes already.

- That new plastic smell, still can't get it out used baking soda and aired it outside in the sun, still plastic smell :mad: any ideas???

- PPl are talking about using non scented ExquisiCat Crystals Cat Litter instead of normal humidity beads,any one have any exp with this?

This is the knowledge I've gained so far, hope the members with exp can help with any other details or things you think I missed that is important.

Thanks again :spotlight:

Your best best is to browse though the Humidor forums here. In particular, look at Pigfish's posts. They're quite extensive. Good luck!

As for plastic smell. Keep scrubbing down with baking soda and or mild dish soap. Sun dry as much as possible. Leave the door open. It took 4-6 weeks for mine to dissipate.

Use dawn dish soap!

Depending on the size of your wine cooler, there is no need for a fan, espeically if you will be running a cigar oasis inside it.

No such thing as too much cedar,

Make sure you use odorless caulk to seal your drain hole.

I am a strong loyalist of Heartfelt Humidity Beads 65%

Yup went threw Pigfish's crazy pdf it was very tentative but more geared toward compression units and lacks the discernment of future problem that he ran into later on and fixed, which like I said after reading every humidor thread on this site and others, I found that many people ran into future problems after building and had to adapt, Pigfish pdf is five star starter guide but would like some ideas from the already exp builds. Therefore would like to get some experienced tips so I don't have to run into these future problems.

daummmmmm 4-6 weeks eh hummmmm ok sounds good thanks! :thumbsup:

Depnding on where you are and where you place it, you may not even need to turn it on. I just cleaned the inside with coffee, let it dry out, plugged the drip hole with blue tac and put 3lb of beads in, been perfect 65RH ever since :perfect10:

Ceder sheets will help regulate humidity but I've been fine without them; the SLB are ceder. Haven't a fan and have been fine without also.

rrte1u.jpg

10eqvib.jpg

shout me a pm if you run into any trouble

Hey everyone I've been reading threw all the treads involving wine humidors and got some great tips and ideas, I've now taken the steps and got my self a themoelectric wine cooler. That being said I would like to ask if members would like to give some tips or ideas in regards to lessons learned building a wine humidor.

These are the main tips I've gained so far reading threads...

1.Need to get plastic smell out

2.Need to put small computer fans to circulate air

3.Need to get some beads to regulate humidity

4.Need to plug the drip hole at the bottom so air/humidity doesn't drop

5.Keep cigars away from back of fridge so no water gets on cigars

Questions

- I like keeping my cigars in orignal cigar boxes , but I was thinking about getting some of that slim spanish ceder sheets that come in cigar boxes to line my wine cooler, good idea or pointless if cigars are in there boxes already.

- That new plastic smell, still can't get it out used baking soda and aired it outside in the sun, still plastic smell :mad: any ideas???

- PPl are talking about using non scented ExquisiCat Crystals Cat Litter instead of normal humidity beads,any one have any exp with this?

This is the knowledge I've gained so far, hope the members with exp can help with any other details or things you think I missed that is important.

Thanks again :spotlight:

No need for extra Cedar. I bought custom cedar shelves for the top and bottom and the boxes do a good job without needing extra.

For the plastic smell try a MR. Clean magic eraser, the a box of baking soda.

I know lots of people that use kitty litter and once you get it dialed in (takes a while) they swear by it. Personally if I have $$$$$ invested in cigars another $75 beads that are used by the Smithsonion to regulate humidity are worth the expense.

Looks like you have the rest covered.

CaptainQuintero thanks good looking out, I see you have 3 hydrometers I've only got one extra that I was going to put in the middle do you recommend more or in your exp do you think 1 should be good enough.

Wipe twice with baking soda water, like already said. Then put a couple of wet newspapers in there for a day. Then put some cedar shelves in. After a couple of days there shouldn't be any plastic odor. At least my winecoolers were cleared after this.

You don't need extra fans if there are a relatively decent amount of boxes in there (like CQ's photos above). But, if your humidor is full - and I mean REALLY FULL - then there is a need for fans.

Cedar shelves are good for balancing humidity and they bring very good aroma into your humidor, I recommend at least to the bottom. Cigarboxes just don't deliver the same aroma compared to freshly sawed plank of cedar.

It might be a good idea to put a bag of beads nearby the cooling element. I haven't had any drop of condensation neither wet cigars - can't be sure if beads are the reason though..

Good luck! :thumbsup:

CaptainQuintero thanks good looking out, I see you have 3 hydrometers I've only got one extra that I was going to put in the middle do you recommend more or in your exp do you think 1 should be good enough.

Digital ones are great but are only so accurate, eg the calibre one in the pics is actually +3 % out. Even though you can't actually recalibrate the calibre ones as the company says that they 'are so accurate they dont need recalibrating'....

But yeah the more the better, you can spot if one is acting up straight away/take an average and know how your set up is working. I actually have 4 in there lol another in the desktop at the bottom.

Beads- Mine is a 40 bottle capacity one and it worked out around 1.5 lb of beads so I have 3lb in there, after opening/closing the door the humidity jumps right back up to 65% within a couple of min.

Another thing is have patience, for about 2 weeks you will be going mad wondering why it's too high RH or too low etc.. My advice is when you have put the beads in, just shut the door and leave it for at least a week, probably two, and then all of a sudden everything will line up. Also the more boxes you have in, the quicker it will become stable.

To get the smell out I used crumbled up news paper and filled the interior. I plugged the frige in and let it circulate. The charcoal in the paper takes the odor out. I dont run fans i just place a thing of litter on bottom and on the middle drawer 1lb on each for a total of 2lbs of litter. You can line the unit with cedar or you can just keep boxes inside. The cedar from the boxes will keep the humidity. Good luck

I went the simple route.

Wiped it out with a sponge, some baking soda and water. Then let it air for a while, then repeated a couple more times. Smell gone after a week or two.

Gaffa tape over the drainage hole and then put in a pound of heartfelt beads (65%). No need for a fan or cedar as mine is a smallish unit (holds 16 wine bottles) and is fairly full.

Wow great information thanks everyone! I'll try the ideas out & i'll post a pix of the finished humidor. :2thumbs:

Jason,

Here are the details on my setup, and some of the other equipment I got to monitor and maintain accurately:

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107098

Here is a pic.

post-8544-0-28790700-1331102411.jpg

post-8544-0-79837200-1331102410.jpg

No, it's not true, I built a small plastic receptacle , and I have a bag of beads in it, I check it once a month and never have moisture in it, it all goes in the beads and back in the air. Becausevim using a thermostat control, my compressor only kicks on for a minute at a time about twice an hour. I have thermo/hygrometer sensors placed inside some of my boxes. I'm in Texas, if anybody was going to have condensation problems it would be me, but I don't.

Now Piggy's (Ray) idea on still having a drain tube but have it sealed or directed to beads is great but I made mine work. I'd rather have it that way then have open air, odors, bugs ect., able to creep in through an exposed hole, not to mention it would be hard to maintain efficient consistent holding temps and rh.

Drain hole plugged here also.

But, avoid filling your cold humidor with too many warm boxes at once. That may cause condensation to occur.

Update:

dB69 & MrFriday newspaper worked like a charm so surprised how fast it took the plastic smell out 2 days with half wet half dry newspaper got that smell out thanks for great idea :spotlight:

Next up beads or kitty liter or a mix....hummmm i'll update on how it works out/finished product.