amazing encounter with mountain gorillas

was sent this link. amazing footage of a family of gorillas coming into a habitated area. bit worrying as if they get used to doing this sort of thing, won't be long before they go somewhere they are not appreciated.

http://healthypets.m...in-gorilla.aspx

this was especially exciting for me as many years ago (seems like yesterday, though), i went through rwanda and we had a couple of days around the karisoke gorilla research station (not actually 'at', just near) that dian fossey established, and the nearby town of kigali. we trekked into the mountains to see the gorillas. in those days, you were allowed up to four hours with them if they were calm, though often it was much less, an hour or less. now, i believe that the time you can spend there is very limited. i would still recommend anyone even vaguely interested to do this - it was one of the most absolutely extraordinary days of my life.

you spend a day trekking in, camp, and then the next day your guides start tracking the gorillas from where they were last seen. means you can find them quickly or it can take many hours. but they are not that difficult to track - they are a bit like junior bulldozers.

the family we found was quite large but it was amazing, watching the kids playing in trees, having the silverback give us a charge (as in that video, the guides stress, keep your head down and never look them in the eyes and you'll probably be okay). he was a bit agitated so we moved away from him and spent the time - it was a beautiful day so we got to spend the four hours - with other gorillas.

towards the end, i was sitting about 15 to 20 foot away from one of the young silverbacks - they called him rafiki (which means friend in swahili). suddenly, he just rolled over and came and sat down right next to me. i kept frozen. the gorilla was amazing. he was curious about my cap, which he pulled off and then felt all around my skull. it was pretty clear that he could have popped my skull like a grape if he really wanted to but none of that and surprisingly, i did not feel in the least bit worried or scared. after about five minutes, he got bored and rolled off into the jungle to continue eating. all they do all day is eat and eat and eat and fart. i have promised rob that i will get around to digging out the photos.

it was quite an extraordinary experience. the war in rwanda kicked off a year or so later and i knew that a lot of the gorillas had been killed - by terrified soldiers, poachers and just for food. a couple of years after the war finished - so the best part of a decade later, i was watching a doco on the gorillas and they were in the jungles in the mountains around karisoke. they were filming a silverback called rafiki, now fully grown and with a family of his own. it was one of the most moving things i have ever experienced (don't mind confessing i had tears streaming down my face).

they really are the most extraordinary animals and if you ever get half a chance to see them in the wild, DO NOT miss it.

I thought you were writing about a cigar review outdoors with the czar crew until I clicked on this. Interesting story though. :wink2:

trust me, the gorillas are far more polite and civilised than the czar crew.

and they can edit and load video reviews a hell of a lot quicker than smithy.

that was amazing ken, and to think you got to have one come up to you in the wild.

reminds me of some of the stories my inlaws (outlaws) told me when they went to africa.

Awesome!!! Love, love, love these types of footage. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Holy sht! The silverback is definitely an imposing creature. Watching, protecting the rest of the family. They knew who was boss, and he knows he's in charge.

i saw the david attenborough docu where he is surrounded by mountain gorillas, when i was a kid, and i remember thinking that i was determined to see them one day. never thought i would. it is one of the best things you can possibly imagine so if you are half inclined to go, do so. you'll never regret it.

i saw the david attenborough docu where he is surrounded by mountain gorillas, when i was a kid, and i remember thinking that i was determined to see them one day. never thought i would. it is one of the best things you can possibly imagine so if you are half inclined to go, do so. you'll never regret it.

[/quot

Ken this was pretty insane, even my wife was taken back. How he remained calm with that Giant Silverback ready to rip his head off with one swipe is amazing. Truely unique footage... Thanks for Sharing...

On a side note, I wouldnt mind watching Smithy trying to take on the Silverback in a duel... :jester: