What was your first Job?

I took a year off between high school and college. First full time job was at a store that specialized in fresh fruits/veggies and a very nice meat department. I worked in the dairy/grocery section. While in college I continued to work part time and was able to get into the accounting department. This job helped to pay for my university studies. I still shop there on a regular basis. The owners were very good to me, and the controller allowed me to get some great work experience.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First family related part time job - waiter at my uncle and aunts' chop suey restaurant - no pay, since we were staying at their place.

First non family relate part time job - sales assistant at Grace Bros / Myers - pay was crap but loved the ppl.

First non IT related full time job - Graphic designer at a chinese advertising company during my uni days - crap pay but loved the creative output

First IT full time job - Helpdesk for IBM - worked from the very bottom to 2nd level escalations - Best quote in an incident: "Sev 2 incident - Regional Bank branch - no network connectivity - Cable has been broken and requires repairs by Telstra. Telstra is unable to fix the problem according to the technican due to OH&S issue - reason - Alligators"

Let's see jobs huh...

My helped my dad around his printing shop throughout my entire childhood...never got paid for it, so I doubt that counts.

First paid job was for $3.25 an hour selling clothes retail at Aiko in the mall. Hated it...last 3 months. Then I went to work in a warehouse...some business that imported electric fans...that lasted about 2 months...hated this job more than the last.

Ended up delivering newspapers - though that wasn't my job, it was my younger brother's. Unfortunately he never came home after school to fold and deliver them, so my mother would make me do his route. Later, he would get a job at Subway, and my mom would send me over there to help him close up at night so he could get home earlier. Well...you see the trend.

The next part time job I had was a stock clerk in a comic book store. Eventually became a full time gig on top of school and sports working there as an assistant manager. I think I was making $7.15 an hour at that point before leaving for college.

In college, got a part time job the Tops Supermarket (owned by Ahold) as a stock clerk...minimum wage...I think $4.25 an hour, but I had to pay union dues which took a chunk out of each paycheck.

Also worked as a bouncer then eventually a bartender at a bar called Grant Central Station. That lasted for about a year until the owner go busted on drug charges. After that in addition to my supermarket job I worked as a bouncer on Friday and Saturday nights at the Pleasuredome.

During the summer I would get a job at the AAA minor league ballpark selling candy or ice cream in the stands.

After graduation went to work on Wall Street. Three jobs and 20 years later...I'm still stuck here.

Very interesting topic!!! 1st was a paperboy with the usual stuff. The 1st real job was working on a golf course for the pro. Dealing with golf carts,golf bags and old bags. I still cherish the memories today, 35 years later. Yeah, it was exactly like the movie Caddyshack. They really nailed the essence of the golf club.

My first paying job: lumberjack!

Great summer job...

- stuck in a remote camp with a bunch of smelly, hard working guys

- all the blood sucking mosquitos and black flies you ever wanted

- loooooong work days from sun up to sun down

- all you can eat high calories and cholesterol meals (we even had fresh pies for dessert... at breakfast!!)

- pumping 8 ft logs all day really gets you in good shape

- really funny tan lines at the end of summer

Seriously though it was a great life experience job, came back for a few summers before going to University. Also gave me great motivation to make it through University!