Monte No. 2

rcarlson

Okay. I have been smoking for over 10 years, CCs for about 2. Believe it or not, I have never had a Monte No.2. I have steered clear because I universally heard that they aren't what they used to be and was told countless tales of disappointment.

So, what say you. How do you rate the the 2010-2011 Monte No. 2s? The price sure seems right for them.

I read lots of complaints about them as well, but I too have them on hand. I've smoked poor ones and excellent ones though, so quality can vary like with the #4, although not quite so dramatic. Take a chance and pick up a 10 ct. box. They are definitely worth sampling.

The stuff from mid-/end-2009 onwards has been nice stuff mostly. If you get a 10-pack of Monte 2's, you can't go wrong, as it's a small commitment to get.

But, for brands like Montecristo especially, and such high produced vitolas like the Monte 2 or Monte 4, your absolute best bet is to get an HQ or PSP rated box from Czar's. If it's HQ or higher, you're sure to have a better than average box, which unfortunately makes up a huge part of the Montecristo stock on the market.

Rob is picky, and it may take a fair bit of time to get HQ+ stuff in with Monte. But, it'll be a bonus for you if you take one of Rob's picks for that.

I agree, get a 10 box, or even a three pack. I've always got some in my cooler too, they're great when they're on. I've had some that were meh, but never had a terrible one (yet).

I've been smoking them for many years and they have always been consistent. The taste has actually been really good for 2010. I bought a 2011 box a few months ago and I spotted some green spots the size of a dime on one and I found a few white spots (not plume or mold) on a couple others. Seems to me that QC has gone down a bit but it could just be my luck.