COHIBA Diplomatic Humidor

thanks for posting this Trevor. I have seen the extra palm band first hand at El Laguito twice this year. They are for diplomatic use. They are typically used for cohiba lanceros however, there are special cases where the band is used on other cohiba vitolas.

I agree. Some posts in other forums have suggested that the Palm Tree band is actually an imaginary band (as far as Habanos is concerned).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

COHIBA Diplomatic "palm tree" Humidor, numbered. 30 Lanceros, 20 Robustos, 25 Esplendidos, 25 Siglo VI regards padrinocubano

I thought I had posted a picture in this thread from the El Laguito showroom that shows both the diplomatic box and the palm tree bands - guess it's the picture Andy was referring to, but I don't find

Here are 10 of the Cohiba Lanceros Diplomats "palm tree" cigars that I have and am getting ready to smoke one right now. All this talk about these diplomat cigars, I had to grab some out of the humido

I can understand all the skepticism. There were lots of fakes going around with those palm tree bands for a few years and I'm sure still are.

I too though, have seen the real version in El Laguito, in a display case in a greeting/smoking room. I didn't get a picture at the time but I know others did around the same time.

In November I saw one of those boxes from the original post in the same display case in El Laguito. The one I saw was empty though.

Still waiting on the day when a full one is presented to me on stage in the Karl Marx Theatre, not too long now :)

Of course I can't comment on whether the box or cigars in the original post is genuine. All I can say is that I know that genuine examples of both that box and bands exist.

Of course I can't comment on whether the box or cigars in the original post is genuine. All I can say is that I know that genuine examples of both that box and bands exist.

Well, that's a very diplomatic observation. ;)

Maybe you will be presented with one sooner rather than later! LOL

• 1 month later...

Sorry for entering into this conversation so late......but something has been bothering me about this post. Namely, I have acute deja-vu everytime I read it.

Let me start by saying that I have no horse in this race. I don't give a crap if these cigars are real rarities or fakes. When Colt says "interesting" and Trevor responds with "insider" information, I smile. I am not an expert and never will be. But I think these kinds of issues will always pop-up when you have the intellegensia at Habanos SA running the show.

Now for the deja-vu. I remember some time back at a certain US forum that starts with C and ends with A that addressed this very subject, or something similar to it. A particular retailer in the Bahamas posted a video online of his Cohiba Humidor with Palm Tree bands on a forum. The folks on this forum responded with wonder and skepticism. Sound familiar?

The conversation progessed and got somewhat ugly. Accusations were made. All very funny......

There is a poster on that forum named Peacemaker and to be honest, he is the only one who has anything remotely interesting to say. He was "interested" to say the least about this humidor. Somehow Simon Chase was asked his opinion regarding the subject and it was his contention that these cigars do not exist. Perhaps my memory is failing but I beleive that was how the conversation went.

Now, I post this not to insult or stir the pot. I am only wondering if people have also heard similar. I don't think people should run around yelling "Fake" but I also don't think a picture from El Lagito is proof positive. If there was ever a forum with experts, I think it would be this one. I am wondering if anyone else has information regarding the subject....maybe El Prez. I only post and ask as a student of this passion.

Socrates said something to the effect of "A wise man knows how much he donesn't know....."

FJ

I don't think anybody is conducting a witch hunt, nor suggesting that diplomatic cigars do not exist. I've wondered in the past and

wonder again (thinking to myself) how diplomatic humidors end up in private collections.

Purely conversational, and not specific to these cigars - these things, be it rare cigars, rare art, rare wine, etc, give me a slightly

twisted outlook....

I think the people with the desire, wherewithal, the "connections" to acquire such rarities are also the most vulnerable to fraud, no

matter thier reputations.

I understand your point colt. It would be predicated on where the cigars were obtained. If it was a third party source, then there would be need for a healthy dose of skeptism as well as a belief on the seller's reputation.

Receiving the cigars directly from the source are a different story. It would be like getting a 1961 haut brion directly from the chateau cellar that has never left the building. I can't speak for other versions however, I can vouch for these specific cigars and will leave it at that.

The downfall to people crying fake without having any knowledge at all is that it truly makes those who want to share hesitant in doing so. This is one of the reasons you will not see me post pictures. Too much time defending yourself vs. sharing with others stuff they make not have access to.

Diplomatic and King of Spain Cohiba cigars do exist. Even if the authenticity of the cigars was in question, the reputation of the poster is pristine. Hence, the cigars cannot be fake.

I think you are making my point for me. As Colt said, any time you become involved in things that enter in the realm of rare, real, possibly fake, fake or whatever....you open yourself up for such questioning. Everyone on this forum has been subject to fake products when it comes to Cuban tobacco. I don't think anyone in the forum was questioning the posters reputation or honesty. But like Colt, some of us look at this stuff with extreme care.......

Quick story: In 1990, the Gardner Museaum in Boston was robbed by two men posing as Boston Police Officers. It is estimated that they stole over $500,000,000 worth of art! One of the works was The Concert by Vermeer worth approximately $250,000,000. WOW!

If I posted a picture of it and then said, "Look what I have". Would you not have even a certain amount of skepticism? But I too am an honest poster. My reputation is pristine (I think).

My ONLY point is this: Why is this the second time I have seen this type of humidor and others have questioned it? Why have no one of true authority like El Prez, Simon Chase or Jimmy Ng said, "Yes, I have seen these first hand".

Again, I only ask as a student. If this type of discussion offends people I am sorry.

FJ

post-8385-0-77657100-1327854569.jpg

The downfall to people crying fake without having any knowledge at all is that it truly makes those who want to share hesitant in doing so. This is one of the reasons you will not see me post pictures. Too much time defending yourself vs. sharing with others stuff they make not have access to.

This is an unfortunate truth.... I don't blame members for being hesitant to share. If I've come off as questioning anybody's itegrity,

that's completely on me regardless of my intent. Bottom line is it's not really my business.

If I may, I've a few hypothetical questions - I neither seek nor expect answers - more thinking out loud curiosity:

Are diplomatic humidors put together on an as needed basis

Are complete diplomatic humidors kept on hand for when an occasion might arise

If I had "connections" within Cubatobacco, could I have cigars rolled, banded, and boxed giving me my own diplomatic humidor

FJ, if you were posting pics of Gardner heist pieces, you could expect a visit from the coppers!

.. A particular retailer in the Bahamas posted a video online of his Cohiba Humidor with Palm Tree bands on a forum. The folks on this forum responded with wonder and skepticism. Sound familiar?..

That same video showed a box of "original behike" with individual numbers printed (not written) on the bands. The story was that there were 1000 extra Behikes made for "people involved in their production". That story was simply horsesh*t. A cigar roller, tester, quality control director who makes 450 cup a month wants a box of 25 $400 cigars?

That same video showed a box of "original behike" with individual numbers printed (not written) on the bands.

Yes, we all had quite the discussion about that here. If you remember, the initial reason given for the "overrun" was to ensure color

match. To make matters more confusing, one of the behike overrun humidors showed up in the hands of a well known and highly

esteemed collector - what's one to believe?

This same Bahamas merchant also had a diplomatic humidor which had supposedly been given to a Russian contingent. This was questioned

by our very involved Russian man on the scene....

I don't bring this up to beat the poor horse, but to show how this can surely create confusion for some of us.

Thank you for the interesting discussion gentlemen. I think as my collection, connections, and knowledge grows I will be (hopefully) more exposed to these types of things. That being said, I cannot look at these subjects without some amount of skepticism.......

We all should in my opinion.....

http://www.flyingcigar.de/smoking_cigars/2011_05_fakes_fakes_everywhere_.php

FJ

I am curious to know how they differ in taste. Are they regular production Cohiba with a different band or is there more to them? Their construction and the uniformity of the wrappers' colour are perfect.

By "the cigars cannot be fake", I implied these particular ones. Didn't you say so yourself?

Sorry if I misinterpreted. What I was referring to Is both the king of Spain and diplomatic cigars do exist.

To answer some questions posted

Diplomatic cigars are made just in time, when needed. The blend is the same Cohiba blend. Only an additional band.

I am taking myself out of this thread. I understand the skepticism however, knowing the poster personally and spending time with him in cuba, all I can say is that they are 100 percent authentic.

Sorry if I misinterpreted. What I was referring to Is both the king of Spain and diplomatic cigars do exist.

To answer some questions posted

Diplomatic cigars are made just in time, when needed. The blend is the same Cohiba blend. Only an additional band.

I am taking myself out of this thread. I understand the scepticism however, knowing the poster personally and spending time with him in Cuba, all I can say is that they are 100 percent authentic.

I think your thread is to the point but lets make it a little clearer.

1. The product (King of Spain, Diplomatic, Palm Tree cases) do exist.

2. I (personally) also believe that the humidor (the subject of this thread) is genuine.

3. Yes, there are fakes off all three around....but there are fakes of almost all Cuban cigars around.

Trevor.

Although I believe these to be genuine

The problem with the Palm tree cigars is that there is no OFFICIAL Habanos representative that will confirm what these really are, who gets them, how much they cost, and if they are a different blend.

Many of these questions have been answered by other aficionados that have gone to Cuba and seen them first hand, but for those that have not, the lack of official recognition by Habanos brings up red flags, especially when non-diplomats have them.

When I was at the Paratgas factory they also had Partagas anniversary humidors with extra bands on the cigars. They cost more than a normal box of cigars. These also are not regular production humidor-cigar set and a few people there were questioning if they were just regular Partagas cigars with an extra band in a fancy humidor. I have heard explanations of what these are but since it is not in a Habanos catalog you just have to take peoples word for it.

Palm tree Cohiba Diplomatic cigars will always bring up many questions, especially when you have a vendor (Bahama) that makes up a ridiculous story, it makes all others similar cigars become questionable as well, but if you know the person that has them and know that they got them first hand then it should be left to trust.

Cuba being Cuba, not too many people trust rarities from Cuba... and for the most part, rightfully so.

These are cigars if one ever gets them in their collection I would suggest to not ever sell them because it would bring up soo many questions about authenticity and hard proof that is near impossible to get, and in the end everyone would then question the sellers reputation.

Unfortunately Padrino Cubano was not trying to sells these but just merely showing these to us and he got caught in a sh*t storm like other people/vendors because of the Bahama vendor and the notorious fake CC seller on OLH.

Jose

I thought I had posted a picture in this thread from the El Laguito showroom that shows both the diplomatic box and the palm tree bands - guess it's the picture Andy was referring to, but I don't find it here.

The easiest way to be sure a diplomatic box is legit is still the official letter from the Cuban government that accompanies it.

• Like 1

Whats with the 3rd Cohiba band from the top? The smaller one. There are only 2 rows of dots or squares above the gold "Cohiba"...kind of strange. No?

Just an older variation of the band...'93 - '03 if memory serves correct...

I'm not experienced enough to make a call here. That is one sweet looking package though. From what I've been reading over the years. Anything could happen in Cuba. I can't imagine it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that some party member descends upon El Laguito and orders something special to be made for a visiting diplomat.

What I do hope is that the original poster is not dissuaded from presenting future acquisitions. He's posted some great stuff in the past that I'm sure we all can agree passed the 'sniff test".

On to Colt's suggestion. Do read The Billionaires Vinegar. It is an excellent account of how one conniving gentleman managed to turn the wine collecting world on it's head. He succeeded because many experienced and well heeled wine collectors could not bring themselves to admit they were duped until one brash guy decided to call the key player in the book out. I do not offer this suggestion as a panacea to this thread. I just believe that many here would enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are 10 of the Cohiba Lanceros Diplomats "palm tree" cigars that I have and am getting ready to smoke one right now. All this talk about these diplomat cigars, I had to grab some out of the humidor to take a few pictures for the members of the forum and smoke one also.

post-6949-0-23949100-1329431134.jpg

post-6949-0-83182000-1329431155.jpg

post-6949-0-56352900-1329431183.jpg

post-6949-0-75476200-1329431207.jpg

post-6949-0-53967500-1329431220.jpg

• Like 1