Short Hoyo Piramide Review...MLO ABR 11

3:30 pm and on the deck to do some writing I need to get done. Not always easy these days :pooped:

I have chosen as my first cigar to accompany me the Short Hoyo Priamide. Gorgeous looking thing..sexy...ala the mulata skimpily dressed and ready to hit the Havana nightclubs.

Have reached for a Pepsi Max but will shorlty swithc to a Zacappa. Turned up the Buena Vista Social Club CC....beatuiful breeze keeping things cool.

post-4-0-84466500-1321254134.jpg

Cedar and some sweeter notes is the aroma at cold. I enjoyed its bigger sister ...the Hoyo LE Piramide 2003 but found age did not treat it well. Magnificent cream sweetness in it's youth. The love affair wore off after about 5 years when surprisingly it never captured (in my eyes) the magic of its youth.

I wonder how this Short Hoyo will play out.

Draw at cold perfect. simple tobacco flavours.

Flame came easily. Initial thoughts are medium bodied, extablished white cedar and some dirty white coffee notes.

Settling down now. Still Medium with a deeper richness. Some sauteed mushrooms in cream. medium full through the nose, medium on the palate. 1/3 now complete. Nice firm dark ash. These have settled down nicely since arrival. I am intrigued as to how they will play out over time.

post-4-0-63052700-1321254137.jpg

Second third has mellowed somewhat. You have to listen a little more to the flavours it is sharing....good milk coffee, touch of Panna Cotta. Some real white pepper spice on the nose which belies the gentleness of the smoke on the palate.

post-4-0-80764000-1321254139.jpg

Last third and the promise doesn't quite come to fruition. Not at this point in time at least. I was far more wowed with the Hoyo Piramide of 2003 but that relationship fizzled out around the 7 year itch. Will revisit this in a years time. There is more than enough going on within the cigar to produce something special....whether it does or not is another thing entirely.

post-4-0-18474900-1321254143.jpg

Nice review mate. I think I have a couple of those HDM Piramides from 03 left in my humidor might need to drag them out for a taste test.

By the way we could hear the Buena Vista Social Club down here, didn't hear the Zacappa being poured though :thumbsdwn:

Couldnt agree more Rob, my shipment arrived last week, smoked my first on Friday night. I really enjoyed it, wrappers were much darker than anticipated, smelled delicious. My last third wasnt as disapointing, but the 88 is spot on. Down for a nap they go, wont touch another for at least 6 Months. Initially thought the price point a bit high for a Vitola of this size, but for me I dont mind paying a few bucks more for a 10 Count Box.

See Picture of almost Maduro like wrapper, and on an unrelated note, thought I would share the MASSIVE order of Onion Rings I had at a Steakhouse Sat night. :thumbsup:

post-8534-0-72605700-1321286007.jpg

post-8534-0-36705700-1321286018.jpg

See Picture of almost Maduro like wrapper, and on an unrelated note, thought I would share the MASSIVE order of Onion Rings I had at a Steakhouse Sat night. :thumbsup:

Holy smokes!!! Heart attack on a platter... I guess everything isn't just bigger in Texas anymore :D

Heart Attack Claus? Come on man, that met my weekend Quota of Healthy Vegtables!!

You sure that was made from onions and not medium-sized pumpkins??

Thanks for your thoughts on this cigar Rob. Not a big fan of the hoyo Marca...might pick up a 10er later down the line.

I have a couple boxes on the way and will try to hold off at least six months before sparking one. Thanks for the great review.

Thanks for the review Rob. Was wondering how these little beauties would pan out. Hopefully it has some legs and will improve with age.

Thanks for the review Rob. Was wondering how these little beauties would pan out. Hopefully it has some legs and will improve with age.

thanks for the review.. got my 10 box last week and if it wasn't for the stomach flu i would have lit one up.. now i think i'll sit on them for 6 months..

as far as them onion rings.. NICE... i can't wait until i start eating real food again..

• 2 months later...

Smoked one last night and I was a little dissapointed. I smoked an Epicure No.2 right before the Short Hoyo and found them to be very very similar. To my palet they were almost identical. I am hoping that time will treat this EL well and perhaps they will turn into something special down the road with some age but at the moment they certainly are not. I would pick up a box of Epicure No.2 over a box of the Short Hoyo's in a heartbeat right now.