Edmundo meets Old Upmann

El Presidente

Edmundo meets Old Upmann by Punch Joe

Woke up this morning with a smile and a simple thought in mind. Got to taste the cigar I’ve been keeping for some suitable occasion and it has been postponed for years. It’s a cigar that has been in a coma for nearly 5 years and it was about time for a proper awakening. The aforementioned cigar is an old Magnum 46 (girth 46 x 143mm long) by H.Upmann. It’s been always a fave for an early smoke. In the hope that the cigar would strike my senses in a positive and pleasant way, I resolved to crack open a bottle of Edmundo Dantes to be paired with. This would be very promising because I´m in the mood for Rum and this is a great day to celebrate since I took several off days.

post-4-0-88489500-1314885518.jpg

Well I still keep an empty bottle of the original 25 YO Edmundo Dantes (now rarely seen) as a reminder of how great it used to be. It has become now a collector’s item for many. Now regarding this new batch, it is said it’s just Santiago 11 YO bottled under this brand. And it seems they are right on the money. Those who love to sip on Santiago 11 very often would find no difference in taste as I dare to compare it side by side. It’s a pity being the Edmundo a very small production and the rich and mellow taste from the 25 YO edition is nearly lost in this 15 YO release. I have to think that Santiago rum is being bottled on these makings. Even though it may be Santiago in Edmundo clothing, it didn’t let me down. Who doesn’t like Santiago11? Surely one of the best rums being produced nowadays.

Back to the cigar. The Upmann started off with a nice smell of old tobacco. That’s what I like. Upon lightning, one can foresee the greatest smoke to be enjoyed based on the notes of aging immediately sensed with the first puff. The dry taste reminds me the slight nut flavor while the aroma is captivating. The draw is adequate and the construction is good. I am glad to have put it to age and my patience is now rewarded. Rounding the second third, traces of cocoa and roasted coffee are noticeable with a hint of honey. Happy to see how this buddy has improved with time. Flavours are more refined, delicate and now combining harmoniously with the mellow taste of the Santiago-Edmundo.

post-4-0-99601900-1314885622.jpg

A beautiful day indeed to keep on drinking and smoking as it is my favorite pastime! Cheers.

Great post Punchy

Makes me feel like am there tropical breezes etc etc ,love the mag 46 ( any Upman really ) and the Rum sounds good as well ,but alas time for bed over her in the west ,hanging for my next Cigar whenever that might be :(

Work and weather conspire against me of late ..

Will find time soon though.

Cheers OZ :cigar:

I love these posts, but one thing that I've always wanted to know is who is Punch Joe?

CQ

From my experience on the boards Punch Joe, aka Jose Candia, is one of the finer employees of Habanos SA. He's a wealth of cigar knowledge and culture.

Search the boards for "Punch Joe" and read some of his posts as well as El Prez's; you'll enjoy them all.

CQ

From my experience on the boards Punch Joe, aka Jose Candia, is one of the finer employees of Habanos SA. He's a wealth of cigar knowledge and culture.

Search the boards for "Punch Joe" and read some of his posts as well as El Prez's; you'll enjoy them all.

Oh it's him! I love these post I had jsut never realised who it was before lol, thanks!