Cubans & Non Cubans

I Smoke Cuban & Non Cuban  

764 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since I'm a sommelier and work in the wine world, I'll equate my passion and enjoyment of cigars to my love of wine...

For the most part, I would put my love of Cubans on the same level as my love of European wine. It's the historical homeland for great wine and always what I consider to be the best. French and Italian wines are always what I enjoy at the holidays, big celebratory dinners, as well as a decent meal on your average Tuesday. One has not lived until they have Champagne with hamburgers or pizza on a regular weeknight... This is what I put on the level of CCs. Europeans have perfected wine making as they have been doing it for centuries longer than the "New World", and they are Terroir driven wines (basically soil and microclimate influenced) that truly have a sense of place. Just like Cubans in my mind.

The big BUT is that I still love and respect wines from the rest of the world who might not be (what I consider) to be as complex (I'm speaking in LARGE generalities here, so please don't jump all over me about your favorite non-euro wine region). Since most of the NCs that I enjoy are a blend of tobacco from all over the world (other than some Nicaraguan puros), I don't see them as having the true "sense of place" that CCs do. I still love and enjoy them if they are of quality, as I love wines from the US, OZ, SA, Arg etc.

All wines and cigars have their place and time. I hope that made the least bit of sense.

• Like 3

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoy both, Compared side by side, I think the Best of the Cubans always wins over the Best of the Non-Cubans, but there are a lot of great non-cubans that can stand up against alot of the Cubans no

Jesus, did I just read this??? ... I don't have sex with goats either! Unless I do, I have no idea how to make love; is that it??? Missing something? I'll risk it! This is the silliest post I have

So smoking BRC and PSD4 at 8 or so USD a pop is being a snob, unless I also smoke 15 to 30 USD Padron and Fuentes? Yeah, logic seems right......

I just recently discovered CCS and this forum, so I'm in the process of changing my ratio. Right now I'm probably 70 / 30 in favor of NCs, but see myself at least flipping the ratio within next 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just recently discovered CCS and this forum, so I'm in the process of changing my ratio. Right now I'm probably 70 / 30 in favor of NCs, but see myself at least flipping the ratio within next 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the same for me. Definitely want more CCs but I'm not ready to abandon my NCs. After 4-5 Cubans in a row I broke into my Pudgy Monsters box and thoroughly enjoyed the Chuck.

I think what's most interesting to me is, after spending time here and beginning to learn CCs, how out of place Pete Johnson's style of branding and marketing must feel to the CC world lol. But all things being equal it was a delicious cigar.

Since I'm a sommelier and work in the wine world, I'll equate my passion and enjoyment of cigars to my love of wine...

For the most part, I would put my love of Cubans on the same level as my love of European wine. It's the historical homeland for great wine and always what I consider to be the best. French and Italian wines are always what I enjoy at the holidays, big celebratory dinners, as well as a decent meal on your average Tuesday. One has not lived until they have Champagne with hamburgers or pizza on a regular weeknight... This is what I put on the level of CCs. Europeans have perfected wine making as they have been doing it for centuries longer than the "New World", and they are Terroir driven wines (basically soil and microclimate influenced) that truly have a sense of place. Just like Cubans in my mind.

The big BUT is that I still love and respect wines from the rest of the world who might not be (what I consider) to be as complex (I'm speaking in LARGE generalities here, so please don't jump all over me about your favorite non-euro wine region). Since most of the NCs that I enjoy are a blend of tobacco from all over the world (other than some Nicaraguan puros), I don't see them as having the true "sense of place" that CCs do. I still love and enjoy them if they are of quality, as I love wines from the US, OZ, SA, Arg etc.

All wines and cigars have their place and time. I hope that made the least bit of sense.

I'm gonna jump all over you for leaving out Canadian wines, especially Niagara region wines, and Pelee Island stuff too!!!! :tantrum::mob:

;):P:D

• Like 1

I am pretty new so having hundreds of non cubans and only 50 or so cubans I smoke both but if I had deeper pockets I would only smoke cubans its not because there isnt good NCs or the taboo factor of CCs and I am not refined enough to pick all the many flavors out of a cigar like some of you guys can like I was telling stogieluver they just dont have that cuban flavor that I call that Cuban cream .

• Like 1

I'm gonna jump all over you for leaving out Canadian wines, especially Niagara region wines, and Pelee Island stuff too!!!! :tantrum::mob:

;):P:D

I apologize vehemently and unreservedly for leaving out your great nation's amazing wines! ;)

I had Vidal on my wine list(s) before it was "cool" in the states. I've worked a lot with BC wineries. Namely the guys from Le Vieux Pin / La Stella out of the Okanagan.

A buddy sent me a Sandbanks Baco Noir from Ontario recently. Interesting wine!

Sorry for the slight! It'll never happen again!! Hahaha!

• Like 2

Hi all,

This was well said to end It all. If they were as good as the N.C. makers say they are,It would be known and the rest of

the world would not be smoking all those Cubans for their taste .

Guy

In other words, if Cuban cigars were not the datum that defines a good cigar, all others would not be compared to them!

I must admit; I have no use for NC cigars... -the Pig

I apologize vehemently and unreservedly for leaving out your great nation's amazing wines! wink.png

I had Vidal on my wine list(s) before it was "cool" in the states. I've worked a lot with BC wineries. Namely the guys from Le Vieux Pin / La Stella out of the Okanagan.

Vieux Pin and La Stella are 45 minutes away from my place. Whenever friends come to visit, i take them directly to La Stella, which in my opinion produces the most elegant, refined, and honest wines in the Okanagan. I commend you on your good taste.

• Like 1

Vieux Pin and La Stella are 45 minutes away from my place. Whenever friends come to visit, i take them directly to La Stella, which in my opinion produces the most elegant, refined, and honest wines in the Okanagan. I commend you on your good taste.

I failed to add (sorry Keith), that despite living in western Canada's wine country, and having a modest amateur vineyard of my own, that French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish wines are what I drink 85% of the time. I smoke Cuban cigars almost exclusively now.

• Like 2

That's fricken awesome! If you ever run into Rasoul tell him I said hi! PM me the next time you go!

I was very sad that the Adieu (Pinot Noir) was discontinued and I told them so! It had so much old world essence! They replanted the vineyard with Syrah. Should be interesting in a few years...

I know all of their wines very well!

That's fricken awesome! If you ever run into Rasoul tell him I said hi! PM me the next time you go!

I was very sad that the Adieu (Pinot Noir) was discontinued and I told them so! It had so much old world essence! They replanted the vineyard with Syrah. Should be interesting in a few years...

I know all of their wines very well!

Will do.
  • Like 1

I apologize vehemently and unreservedly for leaving out your great nation's amazing wines! wink.png

LOL. Just ribbing!!!

If you get a chance, try the riesling, late harvest / late autumn riesling, or Gewurtztraminer wines from Pelee Island Winery (Ontario) [their Monarch Vidal is wonderful too], or the baco noir or riesling wines from Henry of Pelham Winery (Ontario as well, Niagara region).

Wonderful wines.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the 90's I had only limited access to CC's, bringing a box or two a year back with me from an annual overseas trip. Naturally enough, I smoked a lot of NC's the rest of the year. But, I had just enough exposure to CC's to convince me of two things when it came to buying NC's... 1) I was not willing to pay as much for any NC as I would a CC -and- 2) My goal with NC's was to find the closest to CC flavors as I could.

Surprisingly, I was fairly successful finding a few hidden gems that delivered "Cubanesque" flavor on a budget. A lot of those were obscure brands that have long since disappeared now, though I still have some 15-20 year old stock of a few. I also found a lot of duds... and a few winners that I liked even when they did not remind me of CC flavors (Padron has been mentioned).

So now CC accessibilty has brightened and I'll smoke them 80-90% of time, while sometimes augmenting my rotation with backstock of well aged NC's (beats throwing the decent ones out, though any really sub-par NC's got 86ed a long time ago). And, while I don't think I've heard this in a while, back in the 90's the common wisdom was that NC's wouldn't benefit from aging like CC's do. Let me tell you, some certainly do!

I have bought some additional NC's in more recent memory, but very selectively. I still hate paying as much for them as a good CC (so no OpusX for me), but I no longer demand they be remniscent of CC's. There are a few reasonably priced NC's that I like on their own merit... on occasion.

The flip-side is that I also rely on a fair amount of "cheap & cheerful" CC's to stretch my cigar budget. And that's really where that comparison of some of my older NC's having "Cubanesque" flavor hits home. Like many of those inexpensive CC's, I don't expect (or get) the nuances and depth of a high-end CC, though some progression is not unwarranted. But, even a one-note cigar can be quite enjoyable if it's the right note.

(My first new post here in a long, long time, BTW)

• Like 1

Stash is primarily NC, but I've been getting come more CC in "4 boxes total now" so hopefully the tables are turning lol. I'd say it's about 70%NC and 30%CC as far as actual consumption goes.

My collection is primarily NC but i'm exploring the CC side of things. Given where I live I don't see me getting ride of the NC anytime soon. There are several NCs that I love and will always keep in my coolidor (all things Padron, Liga #9/T52, Jericho Hill, Oliva Serie V/Serie V Melanio)

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly NC until I get my CC stock up. Been spending a lot of my money finishing my tattoo sleeve, but since I only have a few more sessions until its done there will soon to be a lot more money in my Cigar Fund Jar wink2.gif

I do enjoy Cubans more than most NC, but my Cuban stock is limited. I must say my CC experience has made me prefer the more expensive NC cigars out there.

Since I have ventured into the CCs I find them much more pleasing. I smoke NC and keep a small tupperdor of them, but i now have a cooler of CC and always think of my next CC buy, not NC....Find them way smoother and more tasty.

When I go to the states I will pick up a few that I enjoy... But there is too many hit or miss. I have yet to find a CC I would not consider smoking again.

I enjoy both, Compared side by side, I think the Best of the Cubans always wins over the Best of the Non-Cubans, but there are a lot of great non-cubans that can stand up against alot of the Cubans now a days. One thing is for sure though, there is no mistaking that authentic Cuban taste ! Many have tried and some have come close, but that is one thing that has not and can not be replicated. But that doesn't mean other flavors can't be just as good. I think it's rediculous when some Non-Cuban makers spend so much time and marketing trying to get into the public's brain that the seed is of Cuban decent, the wrapper is form cuban decent, the recipe was smuggled out from cuba, the family is from cuban decent, and the roller was a famous cuban roller. That's all fine and dandy, but what's great about such products made from the earth is they are leaving out the MOST IMPORTANT KEY to the recipe- The soil and secondly the weather and ambient surroundings. That can't be replicated. The soil that the tobac is grown in in Cuba combined with the surroundings and the weather, is exactly what makes it stand apart. It's just like wine. Does California make some great wine - sure, of course they do, so does Australia, South Africa, South America, and many other places. Would anybody be happy drinking a good quality wine from one of those places - Absolutely, but any one of those regions that tried to produce what they call a "Bordeaux style wine" will fall short, simply because they lack the main ingredient, the soil and weather patterns in the Bordeaux region of France that lends the grapevines such a unique and decedent taste structure. It is the same with cigars. Good flavor is just good flavor and it can be unique to each individuals palate, but there is no mistaking that the Cuban flavor profile is different, unique and one of a kind!

There is a guy at my local B&M that has a hard-on against Cubans. Says they are too inconsistent, they aren't what they used to be, blah, blah, blah... He's also an self-proclaimed expert on wines. In the past, I have used the above illustration regarding wine to try to explain to him that not every Cuban cigar is the end-all-be-all and not all NC cigars are crap. Just like other regions make some outstanding wine, there are some outstanding cigars that come out of both NC, as well as Cuba.

In the end, I tell him (and anyone else) that everyone has individual tastes and budgets. Smoke what you like and can afford, and don't worry about what everyone else is smoking.

For me, I'm probably 50-50 on Cubans vs NCs. But then again, being in the US makes it a little more challenging to acquire Cubans. But there are some damn fine cigars coming out of the DR, Nicaragua, Honduras, etc.. as well, and IMHO, you're not being fair to yourself if you dismiss NCs just because they are not Cubans.

Wow, I remember contributing to this thread over 3 years ago! How things have changed!!!

Three years ago I really enjoyed some of the premium NC cigars, but not anymore. Just a few weeks ago I was at my local cigar bar and bought one of the My Father Le Bijou I used to smoke all of the time. I lit it up and put it down within 10 mins of smoking. My mouth was overwhelmed with acrid smoke that just tasted awful to me. I did the same thing with a Tatuaje Petit Lancero, another cigar I would have chased to find a box. Today, I smoke 98% Cubans because I just can't stand how the NC manufacturers treat their tobacco. Fuente Anjeo and Opus X are the exceptions, but produced in limited numbers and not overly easy to purchase as wanted.

To repeat what others have said, there is nothing wrong with liking/loving NC cigars. Whatever floats your boat is good with me! I just won't ever go out of my way to buy or smoke NC cigars anymore. At the end of the day I love how clean and complex Cuban cigars smoke. They have interesting flavors (most of the time), little to no harshness and do not give me ashtray mouth. I just don't think you can beat that Cuban soil or sun. It just produces the best tobacco in the world!

I enjoy both but probably smoke 10 to 1 CC vs NC. A few of my favorite NCs are the Illusione Epernay, Joya De Nicaragua Antano and the Room 101 Namakubi.

I enjoy both and have both in my large wineador. I have become more and more picky with only smoking CC, but that's just me being me. I haven't gone and purchased and NCs in over a year, so I will just age and smoke the two drawers that I have at a slow rate.

I smoke both. I would say that overall the Cubans are smoother than non-cubans. Yet,there are non-cubans that are wonderful (Padron annys, Pepins). I don't think you can wrong with either.