Follow your senses ....by Punch Joe

El Presidente

Follow your senses by Punch Joe

I left the office early today and came home at the right time to spare and get rid of the stress at my patio, and I can’t think in any other thing better than a cigar pairing. It’s good to have time for oneself and the afternoon is perfect, just a little windy after the hellish morning we had to suffer.

I was willing to smoke a Maduro for a while, somehow eager to revive the sensation.

post-4-1309213023.jpg

Well I choose to have a Cohiba Maduro 5, a Genios (Girth 52 and 140 mm long) I´m a big fan of dark wrappers. Having that said, my opinion might be biased on this one. What’s more, this cigar comes from the box that was given as a gift to attendees to the Gala Dinner of the 9th Habanos festival 4 years ago when the launching of the Maduro Line took place. It was a memorable night as I remember and I managed to keep one box for later enjoyment. It´s kind of the last of the Mohicans since I smoked his brothers off early this year. Now it´s his turn.

post-4-1309213390.jpg

Having this cigar at hand now makes me feel hesitant …Would I rely on my instinct to choosing the right liquor to pair with or just smoke it alone. I thought it´d deserve a match. Upon a couple of choices I went for the bottle of Taylor Fladgate 10 Year-Old Tawny Port from Portugal. I was once told it´s a good example of invigorated wines from the Douro region, home of Vintage Port so I believed this was a great occasion for widening my basic knowledge on Ports.

This one is definitely graceful and smooth, combining fruit and

woody notes all the time. A full and mellow taste in the palate, which is always good and very aromatic since I opened the bottle. At one point I thought I was drinking velvet. The Genios resembles that lovely Cohiba taste but far more accentuated and full of life. The Maduros looks like they are raised in the hood rather than in the uptown area, as a matter of speaking. Refined flavour, intense aroma, very elegant, sweet and cocoa notes, powerful and rebel, it was increasing strength as I smoked but in no way aggressive. The aftertaste is very pleasant and dominant.

post-4-1309213099.jpg

The pairing was enhanced every time I puffed on the Genios and then sip on the Port, and let it playing in my tongue for some seconds. The Port bigheartedly proved to be the perfect companion for the Genios by far. I pretty much loved this combination that I could keep on drinking-smoking forever. I´m glad I have chosen wisely. My wife, who also enjoyed the combination, pointed out that right!

Maduro 5 is heir to the best tradition of Cuban dark wrapper cigars (capa madura), which uses the upper leaves of the plant and obtains its characteristic range of dark colors and texture through a long, complex process of fully natural fermentation.

Habanos SA

post-4-1309213206.jpg

It's kismet I tell you!! As I sit on my deck on a lovely night. I bring out my trusty netbook, a generous pour of Remy Martin VSOP Champagne Cognac and pull out a Cohiba Genios. And what is the first post I see? This very one! Sweet cocoa & chocolate, hints of earth and leather and smooth as butter in the tropics. I've been itching to have one these past few weeks. Tonight I give in and enjoy. Great post and pictures. Just what I needed. It's been a rough few days. Time to unwind now.

This is what I love so much after discovering this forum earlier this month. Just a bunch of like minded individuals who all seem to understand the simplicity and joy of a great cigar, a great drink and the time to sit and enjoy them.

I find myself thinking in terms of reviews of my smoke and drink now and find I appreciate the subtleties of our hobby a little better each time.

I never knew that enjoying cigars could be so complicated!