Quick healthy college meals by Jorge

Geo17pip

Ok so I have been on this site for a while now but have never really done much posting. I do alot of reading here instead :lol3: I have not done much smoking lately due to the cold weather here, but as it is warming I will start again. (Smoking a Divino as I type BTW) Well anyways I like the variety of sections on this forum, everything from food to drinks to cigars,,, yes all the great things in life. So I am making a post and will continue to as time goes on. This one will be about food of course.

Ok so to the post! I have noticed that many college students like myself never have the time nor motivation to cook good meals on their own. It is because were all lazy or we just don't have the time, I know... well this is bullshit. With any kitchen, stove top grill and pan/pot you can make banging meals that are easy, quick, and healthy. Also cheap, yes you know us college kids. So with quick preparation and 15 minuets of your time you can have an amazing dish.

For this post I made two pork chops marinated for 30 min with garlic powder, thyme, and teriyaki sauce. Brown garlic herb rice and grilled asparagus as a side. While you grill the meat you boil your rice according to directions, remember you have to multitask here to save time.

Once your meat is done you throw on the asparagus with some more olive oil on the gril. By the time that is done your rice will be done.

Dump the rice onto the center of the dish, place meat on top of rice, lay the grilled asparagus on top of meat, and EAT!

This is a quick meal that will take you 30 min to prepare and consume and it is hella good for you too. Stay tuned for new meals by Jorge!

post-5853-1300922040.jpg

Great to see another student living the good life! Yesterday I spend the whole day preparing and making some sourdough bread and brioche hamburgers while doing some design work and smoking a Small Club Corona :stir:

Being a student is hard work :lol3:

Back when I was in college we typically bentured off to Happy Hour at certain bars to partake of the free bad quality food and cheap booze. I have to say your food looks much more appetizing. Nice job.

:thumbsup: hungry...

er umm... the dorm I stayed in for some reason wouldn't allow anything but a coffee machine. Not even a microwave!

They did have a community microwave in the lobby, but no one would clean it and people kept putting bean burritos in it and setting the timer for 10 minutes!

I learned to make ramen noodles in a coffee machine. :huh:

*Reminds me of my in-school days away at USF (1981), yup - OLD broad! And subsisting off Ramen Noodles which I got in the "cup o'noodles" ready mix-just add water. Some comic back then said during those popular "singles restaurants" phase going around at the time that they should consist of a row of sinks for you to stand at and eat from!

*One note of advice about being in college...watch out for those dumb pranks students like to play, i.e., fixing the salt shakers so it is upside down with the top of it on the wrong end so when you pick it up for salt you end up with a mound of salt poured on the table, sneaking Ex-Lax brownies into RA (Resident Assistants) meetings, etc. One of the guys in my ROTC class ate FIFTEEN of those things...he was on the can for two days straight: He said, "You remember when I missed class that day? Stuff -- cleans -- the **** out of you!"

So tonight I decided to go seafood! At the market I picked up two frozen pieces of talapia and some frozen shrimp. I also got a box of brown rice, its healthy and cheap. I seasoned the fish and shrimp with garlic powder, salt, chili powder, and a little bit of basil. While I had all of that frying in a pan, I had the rice boiling and added some garlic salt to it. In a small fry pan I added chopped garlic, onion, and mushrooms (alway use olive oil to fry) and seasoned with salt and pepper. Once the rice was finished boiling I added that to the pan of frying garlic, onions, and mushrooms (good combo) and mixed all of that together. You can tell when the fish is done because it flakes apart and the shrimp meat turns all white in the center. Again this time I dumped the mushroom rice onto the center of the plate and laid the fish on top with the shrimp around it to make it look nice and squeezed some lemon to taste! Heres a picture.

post-5853-1301103101.jpg