Kool-a-dor "Desktop"

daboose

My data logger has been very, very busy.

Here's a ~300 cigar "desktop" for a warm office or room environment while keeping them in their original db/cabs.

I discovered this concept from a friend of Piggy's. Thank you again Piggy!

With permission I've been allowed to link his website which demonstrates his set-up implementing 50/50 solution of PG: Link

Advantages:

1)
cost per cu.ft. is considerably less
than the typical thermo-electric cooler PLUS

2) it can handle a
40F ambient temperature differential
(per manufacturer specs)

It's definitely not a piece of furniture but it does the job for those of us living in a warm climate. This cooler can be purchased at Target's website.

Below is a PDF of my Kool-a-dor "Desktop" using RH beads (data's included).

IglooDesktop.pdf

I will update the PDF with more data as summer arrives.

Enjoy!

Very intresting work. Thanks for sharing the results with the rest of us.

• 1 month later...

This post has saved me a long and terrible search for a Thermoelectric winefridge in Canada which I could never find....

While I couldn't find 'igloo' brand here, we have a coleman brand that sells the exact same type unit. I just picked one up for 100 bucks at the local wallmart.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/...uct_id=5644-710

Now just to figure out where to source some quality cedar from and I'm ready for summer :lol:

5644-710_500.jpg

Awesome post daboose!! This is just what I'm looking for. Summer in Toronto raises my temps towards and above beetle levels. Even with the house AC and keeping my cigars in the basement my humidors are always a bit too "hot". Will you be posting any info on the build/prep? How did you get the plastic odour out? Was is a chore or did a few simple cleanings do the trick?

Build/prep/cleanup ... this set up is almost 'plug and play'. Cleaning the ice chest was not a chore. As a formality I wiped it down with water and baking soda, and left it open for maybe one day. I really don't remember the Igloo having much of a plastic smell as a wine cooler.

BTW, besides Igloo and Coleman, Koolatron has several thermo-electric ice chests.

So far this approach has been working very well. I'm still logging data and will publish in a few.

The RH inside the dress boxes remains very stable and most importantly the smokes are fine. :2thumbs:

My data logger has been very, very busy.

Here's a ~300 cigar "desktop" for a warm office or room environment while keeping them in their original db/cabs.

I discovered this concept from a friend of Piggy's. Thank you again Piggy!

With permission I've been allowed to link his website which demonstrates his set-up implementing 50/50 solution of PG: Link

Advantages:

1)
cost per cu.ft. is considerably less
than the typical thermo-electric cooler PLUS

2) it can handle a
40F ambient temperature differential
(per manufacturer specs)

It's definitely not a piece of furniture but it does the job for those of us living in a warm climate. This cooler can be purchased at Target's website.

Below is a PDF of my Kool-a-dor "Desktop" using RH beads (data's included).

IglooDesktop.pdf

I will update the PDF with more data as summer arrives.

Enjoy!

Do you know the model number of the controller?

Thanks for the post

It’s a Johnson A419 model. There are several online home brewing sites to acquire this puppy:

AustinHomeBrew

WilliamsBrewing

Kegkits

I think that may be an A19 model? Just looking at the spec sheets, the 419 looks to be the digital version.

http://www.eprinc.net/client_images/catalo...rtable_Cool.pdf

http://www.eprinc.net/client_images/catalo...9_Temporary.pdf

I think that may be an A19 model? Just looking at the spec sheets, the 419 looks to be the digital version.

You are correct; A19. It's the analog model that is desirable because of the smaller capillary tubing. Thanks for pointing that out. :cigar:

You are correct; A19. It's the analog model that is desirable because of the smaller capillary tubing. Thanks for pointing that out. :cigar:

No worries. I just ordered an A19 for my project so I ran into the differences 'googling' lol. The 419 is tempting for a moment, then I remembered again you saying the smaller capillary tubing.. so I went with the A19.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my coleman version of this project. I had to bail as I the plastic odor grew worse and worse and started imparting a flavor on some of my cigars.

I couldn't soak it with a mild bleach/water solution like I normally would a regular cooler, so I'm sure the prep of the plastic was a big part of it. Not sure if the electric cooling has anything to do with it either, I don't recall the plastic smelling all that much before I had started turning it on.

I'm going to go back to a regular coolidor now until I can figure some way to get the smell out of this on.

Just an update on my coleman version of this project. I had to bail as I the plastic odor grew worse and worse and started imparting a flavor on some of my cigars.

I couldn't soak it with a mild bleach/water solution like I normally would a regular cooler, so I'm sure the prep of the plastic was a big part of it. Not sure if the electric cooling has anything to do with it either, I don't recall the plastic smelling all that much before I had started turning it on.

I'm going to go back to a regular coolidor now until I can figure some way to get the smell out of this on.

Try scrubbing it with baking soda. Use a wet sponge, sprinkle baking soda and use some elbow grease. It might take several attempts but it seems to work. Also, air it out for a week or two. If you get a sunny day, leave it open out in the sun. I did that with my coolidor and there is no odor. Prepping these things take time but they;re worth it.

Try scrubbing it with baking soda. Use a wet sponge, sprinkle baking soda and use some elbow grease. It might take several attempts but it seems to work. Also, air it out for a week or two. If you get a sunny day, leave it open out in the sun. I did that with my coolidor and there is no odor. Prepping these things take time but they;re worth it.

Ya I'm going to go over it again, I have the backup coolidor going now. Once I clean what I can get at good, I'm going to toss in some activated charcoal and then turn it on and let it run for a few days like that... we'll see if that takes care of it.

• 1 month later...
This post has saved me a long and terrible search for a Thermoelectric winefridge in Canada which I could never find....

While I couldn't find 'igloo' brand here, we have a coleman brand that sells the exact same type unit. I just picked one up for 100 bucks at the local wallmart.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/...uct_id=5644-710

Now just to figure out where to source some quality cedar from and I'm ready for summer :rotfl:

5644-710_500.jpg

Did you find your spanish cedar? http://www.woodselect.ca/en/

Try packing it full of newspaper, newspaper will draw the smells out better than anything....

• 2 weeks later...

These are 88$ cnd in walmart at the moment, and i'm really tempted to buy one, anyone know how many boxes you can fit in this thing..from what I saw in the store probably no more than 8-10 right? Oh and if anyone has this could you post a picture of your setup it would be very helpfull for me, THanks!