Kool-a-dor "Desktop"

daboose

Here's a pic of my original set up. It hasn't changed much; 11 db's and a 8.9.8 varnish.

Depending how things are behaving inside I'll add or subtract a bag of RH beads.

post-6250-1310221581.gif

so no need for a fan with this setup? at the price i'm debating buying this model or just a regular cooler, wal mart has a 48 qt cooler for 30$...but I like the option of temp control. and is the the cedar a must or can I live without it?

FAN: not required. Air circulates when the unit is cooling and seems to be sufficient. The air "intake" of the internal fan is located at the top and exits at the rear. (Check out the PDF in my 1st post; you'll also see how the RH is very stable; especially inside the dress box itself.)

CEDAR: not required. However, I've documented that the cedar aides in stabilizing the RH in the open area of the cooler; checkout the PDF file. Notwithstanding, the inside of the dress box remains stable; the very nature of its construction allows for this; the paper flap and cedar insert, etc.

If you do not require cooling I would get an ice chest. Since I cannot regularly maintain Habanos' recommended temperature of 61-64F (16-18C) I require the cooling. (Trevor's Link on this matter: LINK)

thank you very much for your time and the info daboose, you've really helped me out!

Try scrubbing it with baking soda. Use a wet sponge, sprinkle baking soda and use some elbow grease. It might take several attempts but it seems to work. Also, air it out for a week or two. If you get a sunny day, leave it open out in the sun. I did that with my coolidor and there is no odor. Prepping these things take time but they;re worth it.

Completely agree with this. I've always used a scrub sponge and some hot hot water, with a shot or two of the Fantastic Bathroom cleaner (the white and blue bottle, the one with bleach in it). I've then sprayed the inside of the cooler, gave it a nice scrub down, and then a really good rinse. Then, scrubbed again with hot hot water and some baking soda. Another really good rinse. Then dry, and let it sit open in the daytime sunshine for a couple of days on and off, and then let it sit for a few weeks closed, with a fridge/freezer baking soda pack in it to grab anything residual that's still there afterwards, odour-wise. I let it sit like that for a few weeks, and then do another round of a couple days in the sunshine. Add in the cedar planking afterwards, and you're good to go. This is how I set up a few of my coolidors, as well as those for a few buddies of mine. No issues at all.