Twain in his own words

Exactly 100 years after rumors of his death were actually confirmed, Mark Twain has finally released his biography.

It was at his insistance that his biography not be published for 100 years to ensure that everyone he was about to dump on were well and truly gone from this earth and would not be around to take offense. (Sounds like a good idea Ken. :lol: )

I have always had a fondness for Twain for his honesty and his way of looking at the world.

Today I tried to find a copy here in Brisbane but I don't think it has reached us yet. Apparently the University of California Press thought that there wouldn't be much interest and were only planning for a measly 7,500 copies. But in the short time it has been out Mark Twain is once again on the best seller list and the New York Times reports that the university press is now thinking that 275,000 won't be enough.

It is said that it is 400 pages of bile, but Twain's bile is still worth bottling.

I would love to get my hands on a copy for my shelves.

I have often thought that good old Samual would fit in just fine on the Czar deck of a Friday.

He would be in his element. Plenty of good wine , fine cigars, and an over abundance of very tall stories.

Great tip Warren, I was not aware of this biography coming out 100 years after Mark Twain's death.

The man was a great marketing master but also a great cigar lover.

However, It seems that the cigars he smoked were horrible :lol:

I checked at the W.H.Smith english book store in Paris and they do have It, so thanks to you Warren,

I'll have some great reading with a good cigar as a night cap .

Cheers :D

Exactly 100 years after rumors of his death were actually confirmed, Mark Twain has finally released his biography.

It was at his insistance that his biography not be published for 100 years to ensure that everyone he was about to dump on were well and truly gone from this earth and would not be around to take offense. (Sounds like a good idea Ken. :rolleyes: )

I have always had a fondness for Twain for his honesty and his way of looking at the world.

Today I tried to find a copy here in Brisbane but I don't think it has reached us yet. Apparently the University of California Press thought that there wouldn't be much interest and were only planning for a measly 7,500 copies. But in the short time it has been out Mark Twain is once again on the best seller list and the New York Times reports that the university press is now thinking that 275,000 won't be enough.

It is said that it is 400 pages of bile, but Twain's bile is still worth bottling.

I would love to get my hands on a copy for my shelves.

I have often thought that good old Samual would fit in just fine on the Czar deck of a Friday.

He would be in his element. Plenty of good wine , fine cigars, and an over abundance of very tall stories.

Warren, I'm about an inch into it, and you will not be disappointed. Tons of great random thoughts of his. Here's my favorite so far:

"It seems a pity that the world should throw away so many good things merely because they are unwholesome. I doubt if God has given us any refreshment which, taken in moderation, is unwholesome, except microbes. Yet there are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is; it is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry."

Warren, I'm about an inch into it, and you will not be disappointed. Tons of great random thoughts of his. Here's my favorite so far:

"It seems a pity that the world should throw away so many good things merely because they are unwholesome. I doubt if God has given us any refreshment which, taken in moderation, is unwholesome, except microbes. Yet there are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is; it is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry."

Thanks for the extract, that's just the sort of thing I love about Twain, he really had a way of putting into words what most sane people think.

I'm going to have to find myself a copy.

Thanks for the extract, that's just the sort of thing I love about Twain, he really had a way of putting into words what most sane people think.

I'm going to have to find myself a copy.

Warren I saw this in the store today and if you don't think you will be able to get one on your own, let me know and I will pick one up for you. I will just bill it to Rob!!! -LOL

Warren I saw this in the store today and if you don't think you will be able to get one on your own, let me know and I will pick one up for you. I will just bill it to Rob!!! -LOL

Thanks Mate, I should be able to get one when my work load eases off again.

Just been too busy to look around the book stores. I should just go to Amazon and do it the easy way.

Buy through Amazon...I need the stock to lift and every little bit helps...hahaha...

Exact title or ISBN please? My first search results for "Twain in his own Words" was a Shania Twain book. :cigar:

Here's a link to the book on Amazon...

Mark Twain

Exact title or ISBN please? My first search results for "Twain in his own Words" was a Shania Twain book. :lookaround:

Sorry, "Twain in his own words" is just the title I gave the post.

My wife got this book for me for Christmas. It was on backorder through Amazon. Just got it Tuesday. Started it last night with a stick & beer. So far a very intersting read. Hope you get your copy Warren.