Cohiba Seleccion Reserva: Corona Especiales

It is a nice experience when a cigar forces you to post a comment :rolleyes:

Tapping away here enjoying a Cohiba Coronas Especiales from a 2003 box of Cohiba Selecion Reserva.

I think this is perhaps the bes cigar from the Seleccion (4 Cohiba Esplendidos 6 Cohiba Robustos 8 Cohiba Piramides

6 Cohiba Coronas Especiales 6 Cohiba Media Corona)

Fuller than the standard Cohiba Coronas Especiales to my taste. Medium Full overall with a delightful rich coffee bean, touch of black pepper and honey. Rich and smooth with just a touch of occasional mongrel. A solid 94.

From those that have tried cigars from the seleccion Reserva box, which has been your favourite and your most disappointing?

I've only one box, so I smoke these sparingly.

Very much like the CCE and the Esplendido.

I was surprised this weekend when I smoked a CoRo from this box and found that they need at least a few more years to "get right." Tannins were quite out of balance with the subtler flavors...

It is a nice experience when a cigar forces you to post a comment ;)

Tapping away here enjoying a Cohiba Coronas Especiales from a 2003 box of Cohiba Selecion Reserva.

I think this is perhaps the bes cigar from the Seleccion (4 Cohiba Esplendidos 6 Cohiba Robustos 8 Cohiba Piramides

6 Cohiba Coronas Especiales 6 Cohiba Media Corona)

Fuller than the standard Cohiba Coronas Especiales to my taste. Medium Full overall with a delightful rich coffee bean, touch of black pepper and honey. Rich and smooth with just a touch of occasional mongrel. A solid 94.

From those that have tried cigars from the seleccion Reserva box, which has been your favourite and your most disappointing?

had two boxes. one destroyed in the prez's dodgy humidor issue from a few years back.

other one yet to be touched. unless the prez has helped himself!

had two boxes. one destroyed in the prez's dodgy humidor issue from a few years back.

other one yet to be touched. unless the prez has helped himself!

Do you really want me to touch on insurance claim abnormalities?

He just won't let it go will he, a little bit of water in is humidor and the sky is falling in

Smithy that would be water he put in to overlowing.

But hey....it was an "accidental property damage" which I am to blame for ;)

He continued to use that (free) humidor until recently.....no issues :rotfl:

Smithy that would be water he put in to overlowing.

But hey....it was an "accidental property damage" which I am to blame for ;)

He continued to use that (free) humidor until recently.....no issues :rotfl:

i have not used said swamp for years.

i have never blamed you. do i smell burning martyr? again?

the humidor was used correctly.

* BOYS, BOYS!! or GUYS, GUYS!!! Easy! :D

I must admit when I got hold of my box I destroyed it in just over a month and enjoyed every little bit of it :D

My favourite was without a doubt was 6 Cohiba Coronas Especiales. I just couldnt get enough of them.

Followed by the 8 Cohiba Piramides which I quickly sourced more of.

My least favourite was the 6 Cohiba Media Corona's quite bland.

If given the opportunity and funds I would grab another box

Sharks

Interesting Rob, though I dont have extensive experience with all the sizes I feel the CCE is my least favorite of the bunch. The reason being is that the examples I smoked were all consistently too cedery. The ceder was overpowering more of the subtleties that I have found in spades in the Esplendido and the Robusto to a lesser extent.

My theory on this is that the packaging is to blame- too much ceder. It seems to effect the smaller RG cigars more than the big boys. Though I cant verify this other than a few examples if given the choice I'll reach for an Esplendido from these every time.

I have a good few boxes of these put away. FWIW I think they are a steal at current prices and probably the most underated Cohibas on the market. Over several boxes my favorite has been the Robustos which are equiste, my least favorite has been the Piramide. The CCE and the Media Coronas at various time have shone also. Basically love em all.

One cant go worng picking up a box of the these IMHO.

Prez, I'm glad you added this review. I have always felt the Cohiba Reserva box is a hidden gem, I actually love the Piramides, I grabbed several of these boxes but luckely I have only dented the first one.

I rate the box poorly, not as individual cigars but as collection based on their overall spotty performance. My favorite is the Media Coronas. Lowest Piramides, not on par with the original Cohiba Pir. EL.

I would rather own several boxes of run of the mill Rafael Gonzalez cigars on a dollar/dollar level. -:D

I have been through 2 boxes of CSR and I feel they are a waist of money. You would more than likely get better cigars if you just bought an 03 CCE 25 box. I've had RGCE from 05 that blew the 2 CSR boxes away.

Save your money guys and get some aged reg stock, if you check local B&M you can find a nice selection of aged. My friend in spain gets aged stock on a regular basis from the distributor but he is a local B&M not an online merchant so he doesn't have allot of people standing in line for it.

I've only had the Media Coronas. I thought it started off lighter bodied without a lot of charisma, but I found myself really enjoying the cigar, particularly as it picked up strength and changed in character on the back half. It was from an 02 box.

The general consensus is that the 02 is more desirable than the 03. Is that an over-generalization, or is there something to it?

I have been through 2 boxes of CSR and I feel they are a waist of money. You would more than likely get better cigars if you just bought an 03 CCE 25 box. I've had RGCE from 05 that blew the 2 CSR boxes away.

Save your money guys and get some aged reg stock, if you check local B&M you can find a nice selection of aged. My friend in spain gets aged stock on a regular basis from the distributor but he is a local B&M not an online merchant so he doesn't have allot of people standing in line for it.

Sage advice! Or, just buy some more of the current stock that is smoking well and to your liking.

I smoke aged cigar because I have them. With the exception of the fact that I like a lot of cigars no longer produced, I would be happy smoking current vintage cigars as they are excellent cigars when viewed in a macro perspective. -P

02 is/was of a higher quality than the general 03. You really need to go through 03 boxes to get the right one. I think they were rushed.

We have guys who smoke tons of these and love them. Others who don't like them even if they could justify the price and others who just can't justify the price. Different strokes for different fokes.

Personally, I am not enamoured with the larger gauges, just the CCE and Media Corona. I find them to be a great box to take when travelling as they cover the gambit of situations and gifting them is something a little bit special.

Certainly not part of my rotation although I have hit my current box hard this week to finish it off. CR Esplendido now. Good. Not great. Should be great.

Sage advice! Or, just buy some more of the current stock that is smoking well and to your liking.

I smoke aged cigar because I have them. With the exception of the fact that I like a lot of cigars no longer produced, I would be happy smoking current vintage cigars as they are excellent cigars when viewed in a macro perspective. -P

If you have them then your on high ground! Current stock is too nuclear tannic and no where near ready to smoke imo. if they dont have at least 2 years of age I dont touch them anymore, ive had too many current boxes that taste bad and harsh. I am loading up big on aged stock right now.

If you have them then your on high ground! Current stock is too nuclear tannic and no where near ready to smoke imo. if they dont have at least 2 years of age I dont touch them anymore, ive had too many current boxes that taste bad and harsh. I am loading up big on aged stock right now.

You make a good point... and this is a slap on the head moment for Mr. Piggy. I have yet to smoke a '10 cigar and I am calling current vintages, because of a general slow down in the cigars market, as '08's and newer. I probably should have spent longer conditioning my comments as I am not the last word in, nor do I even have a word on, '09 or '10 cigars. The newest boxes that I have are from '08. I thought many '08 cigars were good to go very early as I did with '07's and that is how I should have stated it.

... a senior moment!

It is disappointing to hear that with all that time and tobacco, cigars are not ready to smoke today. Tannins, while I don't like to taste them, and other congeners make for cigars that stand up well to age. JMHO. -Piggy