Brisbane floods: before and after

Dumb question here, but I assume this isnt very common and I assume Flood Insurance is probably something most of these people dont have and I assume most of the damage will not be covered? Again, I have no insurance expertise but I am just devastated by what I am seeing in pretty metropolitan areas it looks like.

Bart

Good point.

As I mentioned when these floods began,I hope your insurance companies are better than ours,who tried every means possible to escape paying.

Our floods occurred in 2005,and some are still wrangling......

Dumb question here, but I assume this isnt very common and I assume Flood Insurance is probably something most of these people dont have and I assume most of the damage will not be covered? Again, I have no insurance expertise but I am just devastated by what I am seeing in pretty metropolitan areas it looks like.

Bart™

Its not that common. Two companies cover for flood. I am with one, Ken with the other. The rest cover for "storm damage" but not for flood. You need to read the fine print and the average punter doesn't.

Most homeowners insurance policies will only cover flood for sewer back up. Insurance for something like this normally would have to be added as an endorsement.

Im starting to get calls from businesses that went under water. I did a few callouts today to see if machinery can be salvaged.

Many of these business owners never had insurance on these machines .

I think over the next few days my work load is going to go through the roof, one of the local machinery suppliers keeps giving my number out.

Its not that common. Two companies cover for flood. I am with one, Ken with the other. The rest cover for "storm damage" but not for flood. You need to read the fine print and the average punter doesn't.

Really?

The insurers don't try to weasel out with "Act Of God" clauses?

So your basically saying the average Joe is not going to have any coverage for this type of event and be out what ever damaged happened to them? That's gotta be a lot of money in losses

Bart

Fascinating Photographs.....wow! Brings it home even more to see such devastation.

As a Navy man - I'm drawn to that before/after of a HMAS ship in dry dock - If they weren't careful or prepared, that whole ship could be flooded from the inside.....if the RAN does dockings the way we do, there is all kinds of open aperatures for water to get into the ship while in dry dock. Still, you'd think they would have used the pumps in the dry dock bay to keep it clear! More Probable though is that the base personnel were focussed on relief efforts, and thats where I would focus too if I was them. Still, interesting test case for a Naval Engineer!

Fascinating Photographs.....wow! Brings it home even more to see such devastation.

As a Navy man - I'm drawn to that before/after of a HMAS ship in dry dock - If they weren't careful or prepared, that whole ship could be flooded from the inside.....if the RAN does dockings the way we do, there is all kinds of open aperatures for water to get into the ship while in dry dock. Still, you'd think they would have used the pumps in the dry dock bay to keep it clear! More Probable though is that the base personnel were focussed on relief efforts, and thats where I would focus too if I was them. Still, interesting test case for a Naval Engineer!

The ship in the photo is a river class frigate that was decommissioned about 40 years ago and is in the dry dock which is a part of the Brisbane Maritime museum.

It's a bit like an old car in a rednecks front yard, it's been up on blocks for years.

Wow, simply amazing . . .

It's hard to relate to unless you've been through it. Thank goodness it has never happened to us, but I'll never forget helping a friend clean up who had about five feet of water throughout his house. It trashes EVERYTHING.

Hang in there!