zacapa rum - latest

Ken Gargett

Diageo considers Zacapa move Diageo is looking to snap up super-premium Guatemalan rum brand Zacapa Centenario. zacapa_neat_drink.jpgThe world’s biggest drinks company is in talks about acquiring a 50% stake in the brand.

Diageo agreed a three-year distribution and joint marketing deal in 2008 for the rum – which included the option to buy a 50% equity stake in Zacapa upon the completion of the contract in 2011.

Diageo considers Zacapa move Diageo is looking to snap up super-premium Guatemalan rum brand Zacapa Centenario. Diageo, the world’s biggest drinks company is in talks about acquiring a 50% stake in the brand.

Diageo agreed a three-year distribution and joint marketing deal in 2008 for the rum – which included the option to buy a 50% equity stake in Zacapa upon the completion of the contract in 2011.

A Diageo spokesperson said the two companies were in talks “about the future of our relationship” and that an announcement will be made at the appropriate time.

Key markets for Zacapa, which is produced from fresh sugar cane rather than molasses, are Spain, Italy and the US.

The brand has seen sales rise in recent years thanks to the increasing popularity of cocktails such as mojitos and daiquiris.

This can't be good news. Diageo will likely do its best to push a 'super-premium' market for Zacapa. Higher prices without an increase in quality.

Anybody else notice a decrease in Zacapa quality over the past few years? I was a big fan years ago. My last couple of bottles have seemed thin and excessively sweet.

Perhaps my palate has changed. I would buy bourbons like Four Roses Single Barrel, Weller Antique, or Pappy Lot B over Zacapa.

This can't be good news. Diageo will likely do its best to push a 'super-premium' market for Zacapa. Higher prices without an increase in quality.

Anybody else notice a decrease in Zacapa quality over the past few years? I was a big fan years ago. My last couple of bottles have seemed thin and excessively sweet.

Perhaps my palate has changed. I would buy bourbons like Four Roses Single Barrel, Weller Antique, or Pappy Lot B over Zacapa.

stuff i'm seeing here as good as always. hopefully it will remain so.

never know what the big players will do. sometimes, they completyely stuff things. other times, they leave them alone or even support them or provide them with funds to do even better. with something so good, why fiddle. let us hope that this time, they do not interfere.

I've lost my taste for Zacapa 23 over the past couple years, but the XO is still top notch. I hope Zacapa at least stays Guatemalan. Zaya was a fine Guatemalan rum until someone bought the name & moved production to Trinidad. Never tasted the same.

• 2 weeks later...
I was in the past, a scotch drinker, I have to say with the recommendation from this forum, I purchase my dad and I a bottle of Zacapa Centanario 23.

I like to drink this straight; nice, smooth, light butterscotch.

Bought my first bottle of Zacapa 23 yesterday. I have to agree with RonLA, it is one of the smoothest rums I've ever had.

• 3 months later...

Well Diageo now own a lot of the major whisky distilleries and I've toured a few before and after. I can't really say they have had much of a negative impact, they obviously want to make money and up exports but they have also put a lot of money into the distilleries in terms of upgrading their equipment and making them more of an attractive place to visit. The most important thing of course is that they have shown no interest in tampering with the core products that made these distilleries famous in the first place, they have made some odd decisions with regards to new products though as below.

http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2009/09/03...e/#comment-9434

I was in the past, a scotch drinker, I have to say with the recommendation from this forum, I purchase my dad and I a bottle of Zacapa Centanario 23.

I like to drink this straight; nice, smooth, light butterscotch.

Ron, I make sure I always have a bottle on hand. When I first got into drinking great rums (About 6 years ago) a co-worker from Guatemala told me about this rum. Although it's a bit pricy, I say it's worth every penny!

I've been picking up bottles of the 23 in Gatwick airport for £36.99 a litre. It looks like that's quite a good price. Good rum but I find it a little too sweet. I'll probably be castigated for this but I find Santiago Anejo and (Dominican) Matusalem Solera 7 better rums, or at least more suited to my taste which is I suppose what counts.

I've been picking up bottles of the 23 in Gatwick airport for £36.99 a litre. It looks like that's quite a good price. Good rum but I find it a little too sweet. I'll probably be castigated for this but I find Santiago Anejo and (Dominican) Matusalem Solera 7 better rums, or at least more suited to my taste which is I suppose what counts.

Try the Zacapa XO. Smooth, more complex & less sweet than the 23.

yup seen it in the government run liquor stores behind the counter

80 bucks a bottle though

Your liquor stores must be different, the LCBOs here in Ontario don't have it on their website and they don't "keep anything behind counters" Anyone from Ontario able to find this?

Ya for the higher end stuff they keep behind the counter on display

Hmm that's weird, its not like that here in Ontario. They just leave $200 bottles of scotch on the shelf for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Inpolished off the remainder of a bottle of the 23 tonite. So good...but expensive. I think Zaya provides the most bang foe your buck in terms of Rums IMHO. I highly recommend it.

Going to get into some myself tonight w/ a smoke on the deck after it cools down later. Scored two bottles of Zacapa XO this a.m. online for $120 delivered to the casa. :)

That is cheap for XO the cheapest I have found it was about 90 bucks. Curtis

Going to get into some myself tonight w/ a smoke on the deck after it cools down later. Scored two bottles of Zacapa XO this a.m. online for $120 delivered to the casa. :)

Thank you for sending the site. That is the cheapest I have seen it. I will be ordering at least 1 bottle shortly. Curtis