Christmas 2010 Cigar Review - Ramon Allones Petit Unicos RE Canada ERO AUG 09

Hello FOH brothers and sisters!

I just finished painting our kitchen cabinets, a project my wife has been dying to do since we moved in three years ago, so I thought now would be the perfect time to retreat to my little slice of peace and quiet in the garage to have one of my favorite cigars and a cup of coffee. Thanks to Rob for putting this contest up, it gives me an excuse to share the experience :D

post-6777-1293960420.jpg

This is a Ramon Allones Petit Unicos RE Canada, from an HQ box purchased a couple of months back. I love pyramides in general, and the petit size is perfect for when I don't have a lot of time (which is the norm with a one year old daughter and a two year old son!). The first photo is of my desk/office in the garage. I use a 27" 2.93GHz Core i7 iMac for my web design work, and a 23" HP 1080p display to keep it company when I'm not around ;) The second photo is a peek inside my desk drawer where I throw all of my cigar bands from the past few months.

post-6777-1293960367.jpg

post-6777-1293960400.jpg

The pre-light aroma was light and nutty, as I've found many of these are. I've smoked four of them to date, and they are one of my favorite sticks. I clipped the head and was greeted with a perfect draw. The foot toasted easily, and I took a few quick puffs to get the smoke flowing before taking my first full draw. That familiar Cuban twang hits first, with a bit of nuttiness on the tongue and spice on the back of the throat. This is going to be good.

post-6777-1293960452.jpg

Getting into the first third, I'm getting waves of rich black coffee with a sweetness on the finish, absolutely delightful. The aroma is of sweet tobacco, perfectly balanced with honey roasted cashews. The burn is very neat. I think a Bailey's Coffee and a chocolate vodka martini would compliment this cigar wonderfully, so I'm going to pop into the kitchen and make one while I let the cigar cool a bit. I come back with a fresh martini (could not find a martini glass anywhere, so a beer glass will have to suffice!), and the cigar never misses a beat. No relight needed, plenty of smoke, and a perfect draw. The ash falls off 1/3 of the way through, and the burn keeps its razor sharp edge.

post-6777-1293960464.jpg

Entering the second third, the black coffee begins to fade and is accentuated with milky chocolate. The body is right about medium. This is the perfect cigar to unwind with after a hard day's work. One little touch-up required. Also getting a touch of leather. Just a fine, fine cigar!

post-6777-1293960640.jpg

Getting into the final third, the flavors have mellowed considerably. Usually, these have been very flavorful towards the back end. Still great flavor, just muted a bit. Probably could use more time in the humi. Overall, I'd rate it a solid 90.

post-6777-1293960664.jpg

I included a couple pictures of me and my kids with some sparklers from last night, and a FoH toast! My daughter didn't get into the fireworks as much as my son did :P

post-6777-1293960484.jpg

post-6777-1293960489.jpg

post-6777-1293960699.jpg

Wow, that was a wonderful read. The way you described your smoking time itched my cigar nerves, now I need one. The nutty aspect of the RA, when I find it, make them a joy to smoke. Nice pictures of you children, you are a lucky man. Well done and congratulations on the new kitchen ;)

Nice review John. Good looking kids. Oh...and like Mike said...your garage is a whole hell of a lot cleaner than mine. Happy New Year!

Great review, man!

I wasn't sure what to make of this cigar when I tried it last year - seemed very strong, like it needed more time, but from the sounds of it, a little more patience on my part would have paid off in a better smoke! Perhaps it's time I pick up a few more of these!

Excellent pics too!