Right Handed Helix Cigars vs Left Handed Helix Cigars

Picking up a cigar today I noticed that on a few of them the wrapping had a left handed helix but the majority was right handed. Naturally one would expect this given that about only 10% of the population is left handed. But then I started thinking about the controlling sides of the brains for each type i.e. left brain for the right handed and right brain for the left handed.

It is generally postulated that the left side of the brain is the the rational side of the brain. This side of the brain responds to verbal instructions, solves problems by logically and sequentially looking at the parts of things, tends to look at differences in things, is more planned and structured.

The left side of the brain however is creative/artistic side. Many people of this type are very charismatic and extroverted, they search for fun activities like painting, making music, working in gardens, and being creative. People who are left handed tend to think of many things simultaneously and start many activities.

Who would have the make up to be a better cigar roller between right and left handers? Would consistency (presumably) of the right handers win over the passion (presumably) of the left handers?

Have you noticed the same helix ratios in your humidors? Does this ratio stay the same for all grades of cigars i.e. regular versus higher end?

For those of you wondering I guess I really did not have much better to do today... ;)

I've no idea about right or left handed rollers, but unless I'm mistaken (and I very well might be), when the leaves are stripped from the center stem,

you are left with a right and left side (keeping the "good" side facing up). I think this may contribute cigars being rolled in different "directions".

I've no idea about right or left handed rollers, but unless I'm mistaken (and I very well might be), when the leaves are stripped from the center stem,

you are left with a right and left side (keeping the "good" side facing up). I think this may contribute cigars being rolled in different "directions".

Honestly I never even considered that possibility... Wouldn't you then see roughly half of each versions? :D

Honestly I never even considered that possibility... Wouldn't you then see roughly half of each versions? :)

I wish I could remember the discussion where it was brought up - I'm probably using it out of context here. I know they also trim the wrapper leaves a bit

prior to rolling, so perhaps it's moot. But I suppose it's also possible that the orientation of the bound bunch (foot right or left) might play a part when it's

being rolled into the wrapper. Obviously, it's all supposition on my part.

Perhaps it's as simple as being right or left handed :P

My understanding is that the the wrapper leaf is de-veined (central vein) and split in two halves. This leaves a "left" and "right" wrapper. Wrappers are oriented (top as it is on the plant goes out?) for a smooth wrapper. Both halves are used. Then to sorting, grading, all are mixed up, then placed in the box based on shading. Seems on a large scale you should come close to getting 50% right hand and left hand cigars.

Just a guess.

I got to wondering about this so I went and took a survey of my gars. I assume "right helix" is clockwise and "left helix" is counter-clockwise? I'm not an expert on rolling them, only smoking them, so that's how I interpret the direction.

I found 56% were rolled "right helix" and 44% were rolled "left helix". So I would subscribe to the 50-50 idea. While looking at my smokes, what amazed me the most was that some of the wrappers were so smooth, I couldn't even find a seam to determine which direction it was rolled without staring at it for 5 mins., pretty cool.

Alright, alright..........

Dude........

I waste (er...spend) a lot of time on here. But you guys have got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands if this is what you're investigating in with your cigars.

Funny as hell, though. But you're all crazy fools. Stay the hell away from me!!! :D:cigar:

Picking up a cigar today I noticed that on a few of them the wrapping had a left handed helix but the majority was right handed. Naturally one would expect this given that about only 10% of the population is left handed. But then I started thinking about the controlling sides of the brains for each type i.e. left brain for the right handed and right brain for the left handed.

It is generally postulated that the left side of the brain is the the rational side of the brain. This side of the brain responds to verbal instructions, solves problems by logically and sequentially looking at the parts of things, tends to look at differences in things, is more planned and structured.

The left side of the brain however is creative/artistic side. Many people of this type are very charismatic and extroverted, they search for fun activities like painting, making music, working in gardens, and being creative. People who are left handed tend to think of many things simultaneously and start many activities.

Who would have the make up to be a better cigar roller between right and left handers? Would consistency (presumably) of the right handers win over the passion (presumably) of the left handers?

Have you noticed the same helix ratios in your humidors? Does this ratio stay the same for all grades of cigars i.e. regular versus higher end?

For those of you wondering I guess I really did not have much better to do today... :cigar:

Honestly I've never noticed this. After reading your topic, Dan, it's the first thing I see when I crack a box or cab open. Are all cigars manufactured this way, meaning non Cuban cigars too?

Alright, alright..........

Dude........

I waste (er...spend) a lot of time on here. But you guys have got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands if this is what you're investigating in with your cigars.

Funny as hell, though. But you're all crazy fools. Stay the hell away from me!!! :D:cigar:

Lol. Yeah, just give me a reason to pilfer though my sticks, I'm all over it. :D

Honestly I've never noticed this. After reading your topic, Dan, it's the first thing I see when I crack a box or cab open. Are all cigars manufactured this way, meaning non Cuban cigars too?

I am pretty sure they all are like this. Not having a box of NC's to check though.