Threats to WikiLeaks "damages Australia" - Herald Sun

Threats to WikiLeaks 'damages Australia'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-...x-1225966160748

AUSTRALIA'S political leaders are risking long-term damage to the nation's freedom of speech by accusing WikiLeaks and its founder of breaking the law by releasing US diplomatic cables on the whistleblower website, a human rights lawyer says.

Last Thursday, Prime Minister Julia Gillard condemned the leaking of 250,000 classified documents on the Wikileaks website as "illegal" and "grossly irresponsible", while Attorney-General Robert McCLelland on Saturday promised to support any law enforcement measures taken against founder Julian Assange.

Australian Lawyers for Human Rights president Stephen Keim says accusations of criminal law breaches levelled at Assange undermine free speech principles.

"Although the Attorney-General is entitled to disagree with - even protest - the actions taken, it is a particularly objectionable misuse of political hyperbole in these circumstances to make sweeping allegations of illegality," Mr Keim said.

"It involves a degree of intimidation that is likely to (and appears intended to) deter others from engaging in serious political debate on the possibility that it may offend those who hold the machinery of power."

Mr Keim criticised the Australian government's defence of Swedish prosecutors and its lack of protest over "what may well be misuse of sexual assault allegations by Swedish prosecutors for political reasons".

Instead, he said, "the government should be insisting that prosecutorial actions taken against Australian citizens should meet the highest standards of probity and objectivity".

The human rights lawyer said the government should not even consider cancelling Assange's passport.

"It seems entirely inappropriate that statutory powers of such seriousness should be contemplated because a person has placed political material of an embarrassing nature into the public sphere," Mr Keim said.

"The government's resort to hyperbole and heavy-handed use of state power detracts from its political message," he said.

"If the government wishes to argue that it is better for the Australian public to be kept ignorant of secret war advocacy by some allies and potentially illegal espionage by others, it would be better to make that case directly."

*Well I guess that's the usual reaction people display in having their dirty linen exposed***

It's not a "free speech" issue if you're merely stealing someone's private documents and publishing them on the Web.

No, no, no - it's OK if the they're American documents. Just like if you leave your doors unlocked, criminals have the right to rob you.

if i came from the many countries having their dirty laundry aired i would just be happy that the lies of governments and diplomats to their own citizens are being exposed. e.g. our diplomats don't spy on other countries - yeah right.

Anyone who knows anything about international relations isn't surprised by all of this, particularly the hypocrisy of democratic governments covertly acting like criminals on an everyday basis and justifying it in the name of national interest, whilst preaching high browed ethics to all and sundry and swearing innocence to their voters.

But the specifics, particularly about recent years, are juicy - much better than waiting 30 years for declassified (and often censored) papers to come to light - we can hold statesmen to account now for their recent actions.

p.s. New Zealand is small fry but even our tiny government participates in the Anglo-American communications interception network (spying) "Echelon" which supposedly is helping to protect us from security threats. However, "leaks" made over ten years ago showed that it has been used for such things as earning Boeing (U.S. company) contracts over Airbus (european) in their bidding wars. Hence the value of leaks. God bless the Leakers.

It's not a "free speech" issue if you're merely stealing someone's private documents and publishing them on the Web.

Most of these recent diplomatic cables were leaked by an american civil servant who along with 3 or so million of his fellows had open access to these documents. At least he lived up to his duty of "public service". If i were american, i would consider it my right to access them as a citizen of a democracy not a dictatorship, and wonder why my government keeps hiding things from me then lying about it.

The U.S. France Italy Uk Russia Saudi Arabia China etc many countries are being embarassed by their secret actions coming to light... long may it continue until governments around the world start acting transparently in ways that don't shame their citizens. Governments "Of the people, By the people, for the people" - Lincoln's ideal is still desirable i'd 've thought?

This whole wikileaks thing rub you the wrong way colt?

JC, not really at all - I don't really care all that much and am in no way embarrassed. In that light, perhaps I should just keep my mouth shut.

What perhaps has rubbed me the wrong way is how from time to time, over the past five plus years, some non Americans have for some reason or other felt

some sort of entitlement in speaking about America, Americans, and American politics. Then when someone pushes back, they get all indignant.

And heaven forbid if the shoe was ever put on the other foot. You've been a member here for quite some time - can you ever recall an American

member instigating a political discussion about a country other than their own - meddling in someone else's politics? I'm not saying it hasn't happened,

but I can't recall it if it has, though I think I'd remember the whining outcry.

And heaven forbid if the shoe was ever put on the other foot. You've been a member here for quite some time - can you ever recall an American

member instigating a political discussion about a country other than their own - meddling in someone else's politics?

Morning Colt :cigar:

JC, not really at all - I don't really care all that much and am in no way embarrassed. In that light, perhaps I should just keep my mouth shut.

What perhaps has rubbed me the wrong way is how from time to time, over the past five plus years, some non Americans have for some reason or other felt

some sort of entitlement in speaking about America, Americans, and American politics. Then when someone pushes back, they get all indignant.

member instigating a political discussion about a country other than their own - meddling in someone else's politics? I'm not saying it hasn't happened,

but I can't recall it if it has, though I think I'd remember the whining outcry.

Im with you. I have learned, especially on this international forum, to keep my mouth shut when certain topics are broached. This is not a democracy. It's a cigar forum, and the whims of those in charge are what will dictate what can and cannot be spoken in an open manner. Although, I think Rob is very fair, I understand that it can turn very ugly very quickly, if not nipped in the bud.

Politics are a strange bedfellow, better left to those who think they know what they are talking about.

It's not easy finding the balance :cigar:

The US is the big dog in the global political room and hence the place with which there is most facination. Understandable.

Having said that Greece had a nice hit out on the forum in one of the best political threads of the year! It was great to see some excellent debate from members all over the world (including the US).

Wikileaks intrigues many. While I can understand on the one hand the issue of " theft" it is a little akin to living in a high risk neighbourhood and leaving your front door and windows open while throwing an open house party to 2 million people you kind of know...maybe. Little use calling the police afterwards and feigning indignation.

I did get a chuckle this morning reading about the "leak"of former Aussie PM Kevin Rudd warning Hillary Clinton a hard line had to be taken with China, even militarily if needed. This is the same bloke who cosies up to the Chinese at every opportunity while speaking fluent Mandarin. As now our Foreign minister....he won't be invited for Yum Cha in Beijing any time soon :D

That actually made my day and shines a light on the hypocrisy of politics. Not a bad thing.

Most of these recent diplomatic cables were leaked by an american civil servant who along with 3 or so million of his fellows had open access to these documents. At least he lived up to his duty of "public service". If i were american, i would consider it my right to access them as a citizen of a democracy not a dictatorship, and wonder why my government keeps hiding things from me then lying about it.

A major issue here is that the jerk-off that started all of this crap, the U.S. military clerk (I believe that's what he was), in fact did have a right to access these documents for his job. But he STOLE the documents, plain and simple.

Hey, there's a lot of stuff there that people don't like. And, granted, it's nice to occasionally be able to knock these career bureaucrats and politicians down a level or two, to try to keep them honest and upstanding, and to shine a light on the corruption that's inevitiably tied in to political power.

But this guy broke the law. He had access to them for his job, but he swore and oath and confidentiality agreements no doubt to keep these things secret and secure. If there's a need to become a whistleblower, that's one thing - there's a process and protections in place to do it the right way. But the blanket theft of a huge chunk of private government documents is stealing, plain and simple. People are in an uproar if the government peeks into their private documents and files, so why should it be any different when the shoe is on the other foot? Theft is theft.

Colt, I meant no offence with my post. This is primarily an Australian forum, and thus an Australian story on a very-much worldwide story and issue. Just an interesting story, I thought, about how a theft can turn into such a huge snowball issue across the world. Everyone, every country, for better or worse, intrudes themselves on other countries in one way or another all the time. And this giant issue, unfortunately, affects us all in one way or another - worldwide economics, worldwide communication, worldwide politics.

I'm always a bit suspicious when someone leaks things selectively. There is usually an agenda. Everyone knows that these documents are pretty blase compared to many of the voluminous secret documents. I'm also suspicious of "noble" causes. We often find out later their intentions weren't so noble at all.

MY MAN!!

to be fair, the members here rarely get a chance. your governemnt always beats them to it.

quite right - don't think anyone would bother meddling with US politics for the sake of it, but the fact is it determines a large part of people's lives on the rest of the planet. i think your average afghani and iraqi has a greater stake in US politics than most US citizens - they live and die by it.

so it becomes everyone's business.

What a boring world it would be without global politics

GW

Obama

Putin

Palin

Kim Jong Il

Fidel

Hugo Chavez

Berlusconi

Sarkozy

Rudd

You couldn't come up with a cast like that if you tried!!! :buddies:

Seinfeld

Costanza

Elaine

Kramer

Newman

Puddy

Soup Nazi

...and its a toss up for who I want running the free world

http://sowhyiswikileaksagoodthingagain.com/

It's not like all they do is annoy governments by releasing confidential but unimportant information...

I don't trust any organization and that includes this one.

Glib 4 line statements don't make it true. Don't make it false. 100% however there to promote their agenda.