Favorite Cold Weather Cigar

I am sitting outside mulling over the poor play of the Titans while enjoying a cigar and was noticing that the weather sure is great, 85 degrees in the shade with a beer in hand. This year the weather has been horrible; coldest winter ever, floods in May, and 100 plus degree days for weeks....

So, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for many driveway bonfires and mild weather this fall... I'd like to know what's your favorite cold weather cigar?

- Scott

I have been living in the south for a long time now, and haven't spent a cold winter night in some time.

The last cold winter night I spent was actually in the desert in Iraq near the Syrian border!

I think my idea of a good cigar then was what ever I could get my hands on! I remember smoking a lot of Partigas Spanish Rosatas and Gurkhas from CI.

Back in the day in the great white north, I was smoking machine made cigars from the corner store while ice fishing and snowmobiling. And while this thought kind of makes me cringe now, I can't help but think the tradition of smoking a cheap stick from the corner store at deer camp has a bit of a Hemingwayesque quality about it.

Back then I used to get a pack of White Owl Panetelas in my stocking every year for Christmas. While freezing one's ass off it is hard to "enjoy" a fine smoke, and might still enjoy the forbidden pleasure!

Just a thought...

I have been living in the south for a long time now, and haven't spent a cold winter night in some time.

The last cold winter night I spent was actually in the desert in Iraq near the Syrian border!

I think my idea of a good cigar then was what ever I could get my hands on! I remember smoking a lot of Partigas Spanish Rosatas and Gurkhas from CI.

Back in the day in the great white north, I was smoking machine made cigars from the corner store while ice fishing and snowmobiling. And while this thought kind of makes me cringe now, I can't help but think the tradition of smoking a cheap stick from the corner store at deer camp has a bit of a Hemingwayesque quality about it.

Back then I used to get a pack of White Owl Panetelas in my stocking every year for Christmas. While freezing one's ass off it is hard to "enjoy" a fine smoke, and might still enjoy the forbidden pleasure!

Just a thought...

First and foremost, glad to hear you made it back home safe brother! I agree that it doesn't have to be a premium smoke, just curious what quick smokes you guys enjoy the most while trying not to freeze your jones off. I checked out the C&C but was looking for other options as well. I'm just trying to get a head start on my winter hoarding :rolleyes:

First and foremost, glad to hear you made it back home safe brother! I agree that it doesn't have to be a premium smoke, just curious what quick smokes you guys enjoy the most while trying not to freeze your jones off. I checked out the C&C but was looking for other options as well. I'm just trying to get a head start on my winter hoarding ;)

For a non CC I like the Punch Champion with a Vee cut. Why? I don't know. I bought one at the B&M store one time and thats how the guy cut it, and I liked it, so I may the leep and paid three bucks for a vee cutter to smoke my champions with.

I also like the Hemingway short story, but the ash is really flakey, so don't wear your Sunday going to meeting close in hte man cave!

When it's cold and gloomy outside it doesn't get much better than smoking a nice PSD4 under the patio cover conversing with my buddies. I enjoy those all year long but for some reason I will choose one of those over some of my other regulars when the temperature drops.

I'm a big fan of the Trini Reyes when it's cold, as others have said. PCs are always good, be they Monte or Bolivar.

Needs to be something small for a couple of reasons--relatively quick smoke so I don't freeze my balls off, and the fact that Georgia winters are SO much drier, humidity-wise. I've found if I smoke something with too big a ring gauge, I run the real risk of the wrapper drying out too quickly and cracking.

I find it hard to enjoy almost any cigar during the colder months as I do not smoke indoors.

Having said this, I do make time to enjoy cigars when visiting friends who smoke indoors as well as venturing to areas where one can smoke in an out door bar type area.

I have also recently (After moving house) converted a large portion of my double car garage to a smoking area so at least I am out of the elements.

Ok, to the point.

When outdoors in the elements I tend to enjoy smaller cigars which are quicker than their larger brothers and as such, I love the COHIBA Secretos, DIP 4's, Punch RS11 & 12's, MAG 48's. The very best though would be a Trinidad Reyes.

When indoors (Garage) or at friends, I love a HOYO DC. :2thumbs:

Nobody has yet mentioned petit robustos such as the hoyo or monte which can deliver a lot of flavours very quickly.

Personally when there is not much time or it is freezing cold I like a RASCC, Dip5 or Trini reyes.

Good thread as I am sure this winter is going to bite.