Don't you just hate the tobacco police?

*One thing that can be rightly thrown up in the tobacco polices' face is: George Burns, Winston Churchill, Milton Berle, Zino Davidoff, and too many others without famous names have lived past their 80's, some into their 90's, were regular cigar smokers - to the tune of several, several a day! Yes, I can't stand cigarette smoke, but cigar tobacco going through that aging and fermenting process of 18 months and longer, is steadily easing out all the nicotine that is going to kill you. So all you have left is the pure tobacco leaf - ready to be enjoyed and savored by fine, relaxed, and intelligent people!

*One thing that can be rightly thrown up in the tobacco polices' face is: George Burns, Winston Churchill, Milton Berle, Zino Davidoff, and too many others without famous names have lived past their 80's, some into their 90's, were regular cigar smokers - to the tune of several, several a day! Yes, I can't stand cigarette smoke, but cigar tobacco going through that aging and fermenting process of 18 months and longer, is steadily easing out all the nicotine that is going to kill you. So all you have left is the pure tobacco leaf - ready to be enjoyed and savored by fine, relaxed, and intelligent people!

Let's not get too crazy.

It's not "the nicotine that is going to kill you." It's the hundreds of other toxic and potent chemicals that are at play in tobacco smoke that has those properties to it. Nicotine isn't so much fatal, as it is instead the substance that's the addiction-needing ingredient.

I get what you're saying, but cigars have nicotine in them just as much as cigarettes possess this chemical also (yes, although aging does reduce it somewhat). It's in the consumption of it that's different - cigarettes are highly/chemically processed tobacco, and they serve a simple purpose as a nicotine-delivery mechanism to feed an addiction. Cigars are aged and refined, untouched by chemicals or additives, and they serve simply as pleasure and taste. Now, I'm not saying cigars are less addictive or toxic than cigarettes - my nurse wife wouldn't allow me to be so naive. But, there is a huge difference in how they are refined, therefore their chemical properties, and especially how they affect the body when they are consumed (cigars, generally, are not thoroughly inhaled heavily into the lungs - their purpose is taste).

To me, that's the major thing that "anti-smoking advocates" willfully ignore - the huge difference between someone lighting up a cigarette, and someone lighting up a cigar (and the vastly different health effects of both).

Last 4th of July a group of us were smoking cigars while watching fireworks with our families. We were in a parking lot and we had 3 spaces for our group. We finished our cigars and the show ended and a guy walked up to us and said "I hope you enjoyed those cigars as much as we didn't". We just answered with a "sure did!" and went on our way. It's those snide, sarcastic comments that give that crowd a bad name. Who knows, if he would've had some balls and asked us politely if we could not smoke there, we might have said sure, why not. Happy 4th and extinguished our smokes. But he'll never know because he acted like a ******.

Let's not get too crazy.

It's not "the nicotine that is going to kill you." It's the hundreds of other toxic and potent chemicals that are at play in tobacco smoke that has those properties to it. Nicotine isn't so much fatal, as it is instead the substance that's the addiction-needing ingredient.

I get what you're saying, but cigars have nicotine in them just as much as cigarettes possess this chemical also (yes, although aging does reduce it somewhat). It's in the consumption of it that's different - cigarettes are highly/chemically processed tobacco, and they serve a simple purpose as a nicotine-delivery mechanism to feed an addiction. Cigars are aged and refined, untouched by chemicals or additives, and they serve simply as pleasure and taste. Now, I'm not saying cigars are less addictive or toxic than cigarettes - my nurse wife wouldn't allow me to be so naive. But, there is a huge difference in how they are refined, therefore their chemical properties, and especially how they affect the body when they are consumed (cigars, generally, are not thoroughly inhaled heavily into the lungs - their purpose is taste).

To me, that's the major thing that "anti-smoking advocates" willfully ignore - the huge difference between someone lighting up a cigarette, and someone lighting up a cigar (and the vastly different health effects of both).

Explained in a nutshell. This is the argument I've often presented to those "anti-smoking advocates" I thought were sane, rational human beings. However, their response showed that their stance was motivated more by hysteria based on brainwashing propaganda, rather than on logical argument. When I also inform such clueless wonders that I'm not addicted to cigars (I can go for days without them), they remain as irrational as ever. :o

When I also inform such clueless wonders that I'm not addicted to cigars (I can go for days without them), they remain as irrational as ever. :o

that would be an interesting 'test'....

have a daily cigar smoker and a cigarette smoker cut cold turkey at the same time and see who lasts the longest....

I never bother to try and explain myself to a nutjob! Here are a couple of prepared retorts for those of you who enjoy smoking in public. One works well for me, as I don't drink, or drink very little alcohol.

"...yes I am smoking a cigar! Yes, I will consider putting it out, but lets talk a minute here, okay? Is that alcohol that you are drinking, you and your party? Do you know how many people are killed each year by those who consume alcohol; people just like you? As you can see, I am drinking tea. If all of you over there at your table pour out your drinks onto the ground I will agree to put out my cigar!"

Number 2:

"Do you know anything about cigars? Well, I have been aging this cigar in my humidor for over 10 years now and have been saving it for just for this moment. As I see it, this cigar is irreplaceable. But if I had to buy another, one just like it, it may cost me say $200 dollars. Now if you wish to buy it I would be willing to sell it for what it would cost to get another. When you own it you may do whatever you want with it, including put it out or throw it away. Would you like to buy it??"

I have used both lines at my local cantina. No one has of yet bought the cigar, or poured out their own drinks. I can't stand people without conviction!!!

On rare occasion I might say this, depending on how rude the person is, "I should be done with it about the same time you finish dinner!"

-Piggy

I never bother to try and explain myself to a nutjob! Here are a couple of prepared retorts for those of you who enjoy smoking in public. One works well for me, as I don't drink, or drink very little alcohol.

"...yes I am smoking a cigar! Yes, I will consider putting it out, but lets talk a minute here, okay? Is that alcohol that you are drinking, you and your party? Do you know how many people are killed each year by those who consume alcohol; people just like you? As you can see, I am drinking tea. If all of you over there at your table pour out your drinks onto the ground I will agree to put out my cigar!"

I like to use the alcohol argument too - reinforced by something I've just seen in today's edition of the local paper:

"Police Chief Inspector McLeod said alcohol was the drug that most impacted on offending and victimisation...and therefore caused the most problems for police. At least 18 per cent of the police budget is taken up dealing with the impacts of alcohol misuse. Alcohol issues impact on all facets of police work - drink driving, family and public place violence, youth issues, homicides and the management and care of intoxicated people. About a third of all recorded offences are committed by an offender who consumed alcohol prior to committing the offence."

The effects of even heavy cigar consumption pale into insignificance by comparison.

I like to use the alcohol argument too - reinforced by something I've just seen in today's edition of the local paper:

"Police Chief Inspector McLeod said alcohol was the drug that most impacted on offending and victimisation...and therefore caused the most problems for police. At least 18 per cent of the police budget is taken up dealing with the impacts of alcohol misuse. Alcohol issues impact on all facets of police work - drink driving, family and public place violence, youth issues, homicides and the management and care of intoxicated people. About a third of all recorded offences are committed by an offender who consumed alcohol prior to committing the offence."

The effects of even heavy cigar consumption pale into insignificance by comparison.

The effects of heavy cigar consumption, hmmm Fidel Castro, Che Guevara = Viva la revolucione! xD