More fake PSD4s

ashen

I wonder if you being convinced they were fakes affected your taste of the cigar...Everything else besides the band looks fine. I did notice the secondary warranty seal looks to be in wrong spot. I looks like the coat of arms is not through the edge of the box. I don't think that would matter too much though..I have a couple boxes with the warranty seal a little off from where it should be

No, I thought they could definitely be real. Then I kept smoking it, and smoking it, and smoking it, thinking the taste would come towards the end. It never did. The real ones make me salivate like a dog.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...=101255&hl=

I feel your uneasiness, dude - more than you know!

The post above was my experience with the UGA SEP 09's that a friend brought back from Cuba for me. Yours are legit - they are likely just too young to smoke right now. Give 'em time and relax - you ought to be pleasantly surprised in a year or so!

Strayvector,

I see your logic:

Micha's box coming from Czar? And with the "less dots" labels. Definitely legit cigars if coming from Czar. Therefore, there is the confirmation that the labels are a snafu from factory or the labels have indeed changed.. Whew!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this spotting fakes, and love this thread. I have learned a lot.

Shouldnt the Habanos stamp on the bottom be burned in? It looks stamped in ink to me from the photo...

Good luck.

Strayvector,

I see your logic:

Micha's box coming from Czar? And with the "less dots" labels. Definitely legit cigars if coming from Czar. Therefore, there is the confirmation that the labels are a snafu from factory or the labels have indeed changed.. Whew!

Hey guys, I'm happy to read that those pics are helping. Great job Strayvector! I would have never payed any attention to that detail. I'm getting more and more interested in those fake threads. Learning a lot.

I might add that I also have a couple of singles from a highly respected vendor in Berlin and they have got exactly the same bands without the dots. Think they really changed them after all. Would be interesting to hear if anyone bought cigars in 2010 with the dotted bands on them.

Cheers, Micha

• 2 months later...
I wonder if you being convinced they were fakes affected your taste of the cigar...Everything else besides the band looks fine. I did notice the secondary warranty seal looks to be in wrong spot. I looks like the coat of arms is not through the edge of the box. I don't think that would matter too much though..I have a couple boxes with the warranty seal a little off from where it should be

I once purchased PSD4's from LCDH in Cuba and the D had no punctution mark. Constuction of the cigar and the box codes are key. Maybe Cuba is trying to save a little on INK???lol

• 1 month later...

I don't think the "they didn't taste good" argument works all the time either. If you've smoked enough Habanos, you know that some sticks are just off ... sometimes in the same box. Also, they could be going through what my friends call "the dull period" where they're not "sick," but haven't come into their own yet. I've smoked cigars like this before, and they were totally blah.

Here's the real thing, to me at least ... do they taste like Cuban tobacco? You can usually tell, if you've smoked enough cigars to know the difference. I've smoked some Habanos that I thought might be fake at first because they were so lousy, but as I smoked I could tell they were definitely using Cuban tobacco, and long-filler. Mine were just crappy sticks, as opposed to fakes.

Anyway, not saying that these are not fakes, just that basing the theory on the fact that they dont' taste as good as the other PSD4s you've had ... well, I've had some totally lack-luster PDS4s, lol.

Here's the real thing, to me at least ... do they taste like Cuban tobacco? You can usually tell, if you've smoked enough cigars to know the difference. I've smoked some Habanos that I thought might be fake at first because they were so lousy, but as I smoked I could tell they were definitely using Cuban tobacco, and long-filler. Mine were just crappy sticks, as opposed to fakes.

Fakes can also be made using Cuban tobacco :unsure:

• 2 months later...

The sticks I got were really bad. No flavor at all compared to the ones I got from the Czar. The construction was different in a very subtle way as well. Maybe it was just a bad two batches, but they didn't even taste Cuban to me.

• 4 weeks later...
The construction was different in a very subtle way as well.

Welcome to the world of Cuban cigars. Construction can be all over the map. You shouldn't expect any kind of consistency from one box to the next. A subtle difference in construction means nothing.

I think your cigars are legit and either:

1. They're in a dull/sick period (common for PSD4s and the most likely scenario)

2. You got a bad box (How is the draw on these? Look particularly at the smoke volume you get, not just resistance), or

3. They were improperly stored and dried out somewhere along the distribution chain.

If they were fakes, I would expect the construction to be horrible, the packaging to be off somewhere, and I would expect them to taste bad/offensive, and not dull/flavorless.

Guest 321contact
I didn't take any apart since I was hoping the vendor would take them back. I am going to guess that even the vendor didn't know they were selling fakes.

I know this is an old thread but I just read it. I have the same box with the same date code UGA SEP 09. I got my box from a friend who knows the president of Habanos. So i know they are real. jk

I got it from Frankfurt Airport Duty Free. The box looks the same and so do the bands. The Cigars were kind of bland actually. I only smoked 3 of them. The appearance though is awesome. Nice and Oily and dark. They also have a strong smell which my wife says smells like cat ****! to me its the normal aromatic smell. Maybe with some age they will change? We will see.

One strange thing is it doesnt have the code sticker in the normal place on top of the green band. Its more like a barcode sticker on the bottom of the box.

Another funny thing is the ink marks on your box are similiar to the ones i have on mine.

• 4 weeks later...