The have gone too far now

Munich beer fest votes to ban smoking

:o:huh::P:help::o

The Oktoberfest beer festival in Munich is to become smoke-free after voters in a referendum in the southern German state of Bavaria opted for a total smoking ban.

With ballots counted in all 96 districts, the anti-smoking camp had 61 per cent of the vote although turnout was a low 37.7 per cent. A simple majority was needed for victory.

The result will lead to new rules that will ban smoking in all pubs, restaurants and beer tents, without exception.

Existing laws allow smokers to light up in beer tents and pubs with special smoking rooms.

The referendum, in which about 9.4 million people were eligible to vote, sparked a furious debate with those in favour of a total ban arguing on emotive health grounds and those against putting forward arguments about freedom of choice.

Those in favour of stamping out smoking hope a ban in Bavaria will lead to stricter rules across the country where various loopholes in smoking legislation have led to existing rules being only weakly enforced.

Smokers heading for this year's 200th anniversary of the beer-guzzling Oktoberfest should not necessarily leave their cigarettes at home, however.

According to local media, authorities have already announced any potential ban would not be in force for this year's festival, which last year attracted 5.7 million visitors from all around the world.

Read Complete Article

Pretty much all of Canada, for one...(with the sole exception of Quebec). My usual smoking spot is outside on the beach, and that will be banned from September 1st too...

Pretty much all of Canada, for one...(with the sole exception of Quebec). My usual smoking spot is outside on the beach, and that will be banned from September 1st too...

WOW! Bummer :cofcig:

The problem is that it will encourage other German states to hold similar referendums seeing how easy it is to get their way with an absurdly low voter turn-out.

I am happy to live in a state where "smoking pubs" ( and s/ns section ) are not just tolerated but have won their way in court so I guess I can feel safe.

But it sure makes me plan my "man cave" to have an option - I am sure smoking in the pharmacy will have to stop one day too......... :D

Ok, from now on Octoberfest is banned from AMICIgar tours.

In the future we will go for the Pharmacy Smoke, in a free area called Wörrstadt :-)

Great timing :D ....I'll be there in 4 weeks.

You can smoke in the LCDH in Montreal, and there are a couple of bars etc. in most of the major cities that have come up with a workaround. The key seems to be to plan ahead. If you plan on making it out to Vancouver and have time for a cigar, let me know and I'll try to organise a get together.

You can smoke in the LCDH in Montreal, and there are a couple of bars etc. in most of the major cities that have come up with a workaround. The key seems to be to plan ahead. If you plan on making it out to Vancouver and have time for a cigar, let me know and I'll try to organise a get together.

If Trevor's coming to Vancouver and has time for us, the LEAST we can do is host him for a get-together - we owe him that much at least for his kick-ass website!!! I just hope I make it back from Portugal in time!

Unless I am wrong, the sad part is that the number of smokers in Germany as a % of population wouldn't fall far too short of the overall voter turnout.

Apathy is the greatest enemy of smokers worldwide.

Smoking has been banned in NZ cigar shops for a few years now, but one ought to expect this sort of nuttiness from Kiwis, eh, Ken? :lol:

The Kiwis deserve it! :mad:

They took my rum! :huh:

Unless I am wrong, the sad part is that the number of smokers in Germany as a % of population wouldn't fall far too short of the overall voter turnout.

Apathy is the greatest enemy of all right thinking people worldwide. Problem here in California is you don't always get a vote before THEY do what ever the hell they want. And sometimes even if you do vote in the majority THEY will overturn it in court! ARRGH! :huh:

Not only apathy on the part of smokers, but the zeal with which very well organised anti-smoking lobby groups operate. These bigots often focus their obsession on one particular issue, and fail to notice, and be concerned about, far more important matters. Some of them are "reformed smokers", of whom I know quite a few. One neighbour :thumbsdwn: who used to be a packet-a-day cigarette smoker years ago lets rip with colourful language on the few occasions I enjoy cigars in MY backyard.