U.S. Stock Market Drops Like A Stone

Yep. European debt crisis set her off. Crazy roller coaster ride today. :daydream:

Computer trades exacerbated it. Looks to have settled. Thats if 300 - 400 is a settle

No one wants to get caught holding the losing ticket today. Traders may have made an automated trading mistake that caused it. Pretty scary... Lady Piggy was yelling out of the house at me while I was down with the horses.

Ray Dow down 400...

Ray Dow down 650...

Dow down about a 1000.

Pretty ******* scary! Closed down about 350 points.

Fat Finger trade at Citigroup on an eMini...

We were warned; this should be no surprise. It's going to get much worse. Thankfully my life is not tied to the market. Sincere sympathy to those who are. THe US is 17% vested in the IMF. Does that count for anything?

Blame the clerk. Blame someone. Idiots.

Are you sure you want to sell 500,000,000,000,000 Dow contracts? Hit ENTER if YES.

And everyone gets short into the hole. Nice. Ouch.

i think that may have exacerbated the fall, not caused it. the mess in greece etc and what it might do to europe, has horrendous potential to make this worse. a buying opp certainly but good luck guesing if this is at or near the bottom (and i guess you'd have needed to have had the readies outside the market in the first place).

our market has not only all that but our newly intended resources tax imposed by idiots who care not one single iota about the future of the place, simply that they get themselves re-elected. bugger a few years down the track, that won't be their problem. scum. not to get political (i don't think the other mob are any better although i can't see them doing this. they'd find another way to get the same result).

I have been putting my clients into cash only the past few months. I couldn't take another year like 2008/09! You would be very brave to call this the bottom. I reckon we are closer to the top...

Guest rob
You would be very brave to call this the bottom. I reckon we are closer to the top...

The whole of the western world hopes you are wrong. I cant imagine how much havoc GFC2 would cause.

The whole of the western world hopes you are wrong. I cant imagine how much havoc GFC2 would cause.

Hope beyond hope we stabilize over the next quarter. Imaging facing September October with this type of instability :wink2:

Anyone aware of the classic 'Bull Trap' curve? Nothing fancy but an unnervingly accurate trend of how (property esp) markets have run of late.

I may be a bit of a pessimist in these matters (believe Greece will default, don't believe in spending your way out of debt, global free markets as a concept are stuffed and up the creek etc), but I have to say I firmly believe this is where we find ourselves today, right at the 'return to normal' stage...

post-5538-1273224597.gif

Anyone aware of the classic 'Bull Trap' curve? Nothing fancy but an unnervingly accurate trend of how (property esp) markets have run of late.

I may be a bit of a pessimist in these matters (believe Greece will default, don't believe in spending your way out of debt, global free markets as a concept are stuffed and up the creek etc), but I have to say I firmly believe this is where we find ourselves today, right at the 'return to normal' stage...

post-5538-1273224597.gif

cool bunburyist, are we at the 'pretend to be "normal"' or 'fear' stage right now?

cool bunburyist, are we at the 'pretend to be "normal"' or 'fear' stage right now?

logic would say we're between the two. Thing is, logic would say we shouldn't have bailed out the banks and racked up historical levels of debt.....but we did anyway. Maybe more stimulus is on the way. Problem is, as the Japanese are about to find out, there comes a time when there is no money left / willing to be loaned.

That's when you invade your neighbour. From a UK perspective, I pick Iceland. Lots of fish, nice hot springs, and some real estate plots that have awesome upwind volcano views with great potential.

I was lucky (or unlucky since I was sick) to be at home and watch it unfold over 30 minutes. Simply amazing to watch. High frequency trading will be the death of all our 401k's, IRA's and Roth accounts. Algorithms on all the super computers at the institutions exacerbated the nervousness and problems. What really sucks is all those who had stop/loss orders on there individual accounts. There's no recourse for them to recoup their money. But you bet whoever bought PG in the mid $40's will have that trade unwound.