Transitioning to Cuban cigars

Hello, all.

I am brand new to FOH and need some help.

I would like to begin smoking more Cubans, and am wondering if any of you can match my current NC tastes with some good value Cuban cigars.

My current favorites are Padron 3000, CAO CX2, Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve and Nub Cameroon.

Here's the challenge...

Suggest a few different Cubans I may enjoy. Please don't suggest high dollar sticks. I am looking to spread my money around and try a number of singles before settling on boxes.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Hello, all.

I am brand new to FOH and need some help.

I would like to begin smoking more Cubans, and am wondering if any of you can match my current NC tastes with some good value Cuban cigars.

My current favorites are Padron 3000, CAO CX2, Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve and Nub Cameroon.

Here's the challenge...

Suggest a few different Cubans I may enjoy. Please don't suggest high dollar sticks. I am looking to spread my money around and try a number of singles before settling on boxes.

Thanks!!!!!!!

*May I suggest Monte Cristo's. If you're a Padron & CAO CX2, etc. lover, Monte Cristo habanas in the size category you prefer (short corona's, thick pyramide's, or No. 4 smaller size) may do just fine for you. On this site you can buy singles. Romeo Y Julietas should also do for you. These are both very high quality brands that, depending upon size and edition you get, should be reasonably kind to your wallet, and very, very enjoyable smokes. When you get more dollars to spend, then go to the Cohibas. But just shy of those, Cuabas. Best of bests to you!

applezebra...

You are going to find that CCs and NCs are completely different animals. My best suggestion would be to e-mail El Presidente (Rob) and ask him to put a sampler together for you. You will probably need to describe things in terms of tastes or flavors you enjoy rather than NC marcas and vitolas.

My personal suggestions for you on the more inexpnsive side would be to try the following CCs. Most marcas have some vitolas which are quite affordable.

Por Larranaga Petite Corona

El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme

Ramon Allones Specially Selected

Montecristo No. 4

Diplomatico No. 2

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial

H. Upmann Magnum 46

Partagas Shorts

Rafael Gonzalez Corona Extra

Bolivar Belicoso Fino

Juan Lopez No. 2

Saint Luis Rey Regio

There are many more, but I believe all of these should fall within your pricing parameters.

Diplomaticos in all sizes represent great value.

If you like milder cigars try san christobel,although they are a little more expensive.

Ramon allones specially selected and hoyo de monterey petit robusto are also good value....and great cigars.

As members have alluded to - if you already enjoy certain NC profiles, why would you want Havanas that match them? Why not begin an open minded exploration...... :perfect10:

applezebra...

You are going to find that CCs and NCs are completely different animals. My best suggestion would be to e-mail El Presidente (Rob) and ask him to put a sampler together for you. You will probably need to describe things in terms of tastes or flavors you enjoy rather than NC marcas and vitolas.

My personal suggestions for you on the more inexpnsive side would be to try the following CCs. Most marcas have some vitolas which are quite affordable.

Montecristo No. 4

Diplomatico No. 2

H. Upmann Magnum 46

Partagas Shorts

Bolivar Belicoso Fino

Juan Lopez No. 2

Saint Luis Rey Regio

There are many more, but I believe all of these should fall within your pricing parameters.

Good suggestions there.

applezebra...

Montecristo No. 4

Diplomatico No. 2

H. Upmann Magnum 46

Partagas Shorts

Bolivar Belicoso Fino

Juan Lopez No. 2

Saint Luis Rey Regio

What he said.

My suggestions:

1. Partagas shorts - enough earthiness and deep flavors to not leave you completely puzzled about what did you just have, while still having a well defined Cuban Partagas flavour profile

2. Punch Petit Coronas - my favourite CC so far. Deep and rich coffee and cream with good evolution. Somewhat reminiscent of good Nicaraguan, like Oliva O Maduro

3. Romeo y Julieta Petit Coronas - very reminiscent of Nicaraguan tobacco again, with very well defined cuban twang and grassy flavours. I think you may find it has some spiciness similar to good cameroon.

4. Stay away from Montecristo as far as possible.

5. CCs are things into themselves with unique flavors I did not really find in NCs, but not as unique as many will have you believe. Do not expect too much and enjoy the journey for its own sake.

IMHO, of course

Oh,and if you find many of the above are too pricey,brands like Partagas do several good reasonably priced vitola.

ie,shorts,coronas especial,and mille fleurs(which I find are great)

Romeo and Julietta also do several lower priced options.

I f you feel like splashing out,any of the previously mentioned are excellent,and also Partagas D4 or P2.The D4 Robusto being the stronger,P2 being mild to medium,both are alot of cigar for the money.

Kevin.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be intrested in trying some Partagas MF's, however the only place I have ever bought from does not carry.

Anyone? Anyone?