La Flor del Cano Selectos

jacksfull

Not as crappy as the last one. Machine made from 1999. Not much more to say than that, really.

The one before this was just awful. It took me 2 or 3 months to get up the nerve to try another. Had to, though. I couldn't bring myself to throw out any CC as hard as they are to come by here... and I wouldn't give them to my friends. If they got one of the really bad ones they'd be friends no more. At the very least, they'd just continue to mock me for preaching the glories of Cuban cigars, and even with the best of this batch of LFdC's they'd have a point.

To be fair, I'm told the more recent LFdC handmades are pretty good.

post-5972-1271190802.jpg

What a shame that you've had such a bad experience with these cigars.

I've got two boxes of 25; one from '98, of which every one so far has been excellent,

and another from '09, of which I've smoked only one.

That one was typically very mild, and pleasant, but not yet showing any depth or subtilties.

Still, I think the potential is there.

Of course, there was a lot of crap produced in '99-'00,

and your pack may be more a reflection of the period than of the specific cigar.

Don't hesitate if you have the chance to try any from before or after those years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I guess I'll have to try another batch sometime. Hopefully with better results.

How about more recent handemade Selectos? Anyone care to post a review?

I got 2 boxes of 5 similar to box pictured as an unexpected freebie from supplier. No idea of age but certainly not recent, the box looks old, the cigars taste old I'm thinking at least 5 years here. Surprisingly they had a nice subtle flavour, cedar and floral darjeeling notes, a bit like a Diplomaticos no4 but less complex. Straightforward and enjoyable. Taste like handrolled rather than short filler but will have to check next one.

Just smoked a short filler one from a 1997 box (my first, bought the box on a whim). Mild start, medium finish, almost nothing on the retrohale but VERY smooth, possibly attributable to the age. Flavour had some notes of dry grassiness and a hint of nuttiness, the texture to the smoke was very delicate. Wouldn't be a cigar I'd pack for a great week away, but for hanging out in the sun it was spot on. Will probably blow through the box this summer at BBQs and order another.

I just finished a La Flor de Cano Selectos. I have no idea what year it is, but Man was it flavorful! It was so well aged that the wonderful havana fragrance wafted through the package heavier than many well aged Cohibas. I would attribute this to this size and brand's probable lack of popularity, and thus, this set must have been aging and left alone for quite awhile. It lasted a good hour and a half, and the aroma is gently lingering into the atmosphere as it gently permeates the memory :D:no:

I agree that the 99-00 was in question, but, I have found several attempts to be very enjoyable.. for what they are.. a not too complex but damn good tasting cigar when paired with the right event and the right alcohol!

• 2 weeks later...

Smoked one the other day bought from a 5-box in my local shop. The box had been delivered several days before. I'm not sure of the date, but I imagine it's not too old.

I was also impressed by this cigar. Definitely exhibited a unique flavour and a great Cuban twang. There was a grassiness reminiscent of Cohiba (obviously not quite to that standard though!).

Very enjoyable cigar - 86/100

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm smoking from a box right now that is just about one year old and I have been thoroughly enjoying them. For the price I am definately going to get a few boxes.

• 2 years later...

Picked up a couple of singles from a local B&M today. Never tried them before but will certainly report back. Love the size, and price!

Well I tried one last night and have to say it was good. It had a slightly dodgy draw that came good at the half way mark. Medium bodied with enough complexity to maintain interest over a solid hour and fifteen minutes. Great value for money.