La Gloria Cubana - Medaille D'or No. 3 - RSF AGO 02

OK... so this is my first review and I must admit that I have quite a simple pallate. Overall, I am a lover of many types of cigars and I most definitely enjoy the refreshing change of this skinny smoke.

Pre-light: I am about half way through a box of 2002 beauties. I love the 8-9-8 presentation of these 28 ring classics. It's like opening a box of pencils. They are mid-shade wrappers, even in color with just a few small veins in each. Slightly rustic, but quite nice. The cap and foot are perfect. The band is simple (and tiny). The cap is easily clipped and opens up a perfect draw (which is a positive with this cigar). Drawing the cigar before lighting is mostly a light tobacco with a bit of sweetness on the lips.

post-5544-1271032092.jpg

First 3rd: Like I've come to expect with this cigar, you have to smoke slowly and patiently to get the best effect. Everything about this cigar is subtle. There is ample smoke that coats my mouth quite nicely. Starts off light to medium with tastes of leather and mild tobacco. There is an obvious sweetness to this cigar that seems to be more in the smell of the smoke rather than the taste. Not sure about this, but it is intriguing to say the least.

post-5544-1271032127.jpg

Second 3rd: Still smoking perfectly. Lots of smoke and perfect burn. Ash is coming off in sections about 1 1/4 inches long. The sweetness has definitely picked up and I can taste it mostly on my lips. The cigar is smooth with just a hint of spice on my tongue. There is a definite herbal flavor that keeps my interest in the cigar.

Final 3rd: Well, after about 45 minutes, I've made my way through this uniquely sized cigar. It has finished right on medium. The flavors throughout the last 3rd were a little stronger, but still subtle compared to just about any other cigar. By this time, there is a nice woody tone about the cigar. At the same time, the delicate friutiness is definitely there. Again, I can taste the sweetness on my lips (and for about an hour afterward). I nub this thing down to a half inch without a single hint of harshness or bitterness.

post-5544-1271032148.jpg

Overall: I really like this cigar. My box has been consistent and is a real treat. Sometimes it's nice to grab something that is just so different than everything else I smoke. I think I'm going to follow this up with an LGC Mdr#1 later tonight. This cigar was a perfect pair for watching the last hour of the Masters. Overall score: 90.

Great review of an amazing cigar.

When these draw like yours, they are a special treat.

• 1 year later...

I'm going through my second box of these and plan to get more before they are gone. I think it's important to smoke these a bit on the dry side to help get a righteous draw.

I once had the chance to buy some extra boxes of RA 898s and didn't, I don't want to regret not having these in a few years.

Shrink, I don't taste anything Partagas like in these, they are floral and citrus to my palate. Do you get a pepper taste in yours?

Doc,

I was gifted a couple of these from a friend from 2001 or 2002 (I cant remember)

I just smoked my last one on Sunday and I loved it. The smoke was so light, but packed with flavor, and that occasional salty twang that I love in Cubans. I decided that this is the absolute perfect Sunday morning cigar. Perfect for reading the paper out on the porch before breakfast while sipping on a cup of milky coffee. That's how I had it, but I found my self putting the newspaper down to concentrate on the cigar. This thing was GRACEFUL. Thankfully you can still find them in places. I'm looking to buy up 2-4 boxes to hold onto. Sad that Habanos SA gave this the boot.

For me, certain moments or situations require certain cigars. I found my perfect lazy morning cigar when I want something that I can truly appreciate.

On a side note, on the morning that I smoked this, I had a contractor repairing something on my deck. About 15 feet away from where I was smoking. He said "Jeeze, you know that smells really good. I usually hate the smell of cigars, but that smells fantastic." I explained to him that it was a special cigar. I let him try a puff and he was blown away. He said he never enjoyed the way cigars tasted until he tried that smoke. I ended up giving him a Trinidad Reyes to smoke and he was REALLY hooked. I let him taste it side-by-side with a NC (La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor) that many people like, and he was blown away by the flavors that the Trinidad Reyes & cuban cigars have. This reminded me of the video that James Suckling did with Edward Sahakian, the owner of the Davidoff shop in London. Mr. Sahakian says that cigars are like diamonds. A diamond on its own is beautiful. But when you put two diamonds next to each other, you can easily tell which one is more beautiful. (Rough quotation)

Hopefully we have another BOTL in Josh. :)

Warm Regards,

Plato

OK... so this is my first review and I must admit that I have quite a simple pallate. Overall, I am a lover of many types of cigars and I most definitely enjoy the refreshing change of this skinny smoke.

Pre-light: I am about half way through a box of 2002 beauties. I love the 8-9-8 presentation of these 28 ring classics. It's like opening a box of pencils. They are mid-shade wrappers, even in color with just a few small veins in each. Slightly rustic, but quite nice. The cap and foot are perfect. The band is simple (and tiny). The cap is easily clipped and opens up a perfect draw (which is a positive with this cigar). Drawing the cigar before lighting is mostly a light tobacco with a bit of sweetness on the lips.

post-5544-1271032092.jpg

First 3rd: Like I've come to expect with this cigar, you have to smoke slowly and patiently to get the best effect. Everything about this cigar is subtle. There is ample smoke that coats my mouth quite nicely. Starts off light to medium with tastes of leather and mild tobacco. There is an obvious sweetness to this cigar that seems to be more in the smell of the smoke rather than the taste. Not sure about this, but it is intriguing to say the least.

post-5544-1271032127.jpg

Second 3rd: Still smoking perfectly. Lots of smoke and perfect burn. Ash is coming off in sections about 1 1/4 inches long. The sweetness has definitely picked up and I can taste it mostly on my lips. The cigar is smooth with just a hint of spice on my tongue. There is a definite herbal flavor that keeps my interest in the cigar.

Final 3rd: Well, after about 45 minutes, I've made my way through this uniquely sized cigar. It has finished right on medium. The flavors throughout the last 3rd were a little stronger, but still subtle compared to just about any other cigar. By this time, there is a nice woody tone about the cigar. At the same time, the delicate friutiness is definitely there. Again, I can taste the sweetness on my lips (and for about an hour afterward). I nub this thing down to a half inch without a single hint of harshness or bitterness.

post-5544-1271032148.jpg

Overall: I really like this cigar. My box has been consistent and is a real treat. Sometimes it's nice to grab something that is just so different than everything else I smoke. I think I'm going to follow this up with an LGC Mdr#1 later tonight. This cigar was a perfect pair for watching the last hour of the Masters. Overall score: 90.

Got a few of these in a trade from j0z3r, and am smoking one right now. I think they are actually the same code and date as well. Aside from the great woody core, I am tasting an awesome over-ripe fruit character, like the after taste of a banana left to ripen too long, once it gets brown and a little mushy. On top of that is a great syrupy sweetness. These are really something awesome!

Thanks for the review. I have had a few LGC #2 and a Glorioso and find that the profile is growing on me. Not finding these MDO3's around, can anyone PM me where to get?