Great Barrier Reef Oil spill!

it really is a tragedy.

i think that what the photo shows is a lot of the sand/coral that it has distrubed, as well as oil.

it appears that the capt may have been trying to take an illegal shortcut.

why the govt doesn't have draconian laws to cover this is beyond me.

jail capt and senior crew for long stretches (word will very quickly get around the shipping community) - other crew can go home at their own expense. ship and cargo immediately forfeit. huge fines to the company and directors and if not paid then they and any other company/entity any of them are involved with in any way are not permitted back into australian waters until paid. to try and avoid liberian registrations.

and other ship in any way involved with that company or directors in australian waters at the time is held until such fines etc paid or after a certain time, it/they also sold.

or just shoot the lot.

You just can't trust the Chinese.

Some years ago I got a call from a shipping agent to go down to the port of Brisbane where a Chinese ship had come in with a problem fuel pump. I found that the electric motor that drove it had burned out so I had it rewound and went back to install the pump in the engine room.

There were four pumps and I asked one of the crew to turn the next one on so I could compare the performance. He didn't want to but I insisted, when he did turn it on it made a hell of a noise and I thought to myself something was up.

The next day I got a call from the shipping agent to say that the pump had failed already.

The bastards were trying to get the other pump done for free by claiming that same pump had failed.

I'll just bet that the captain of the COSCO ship thought he would just take a shortcut through our reef.

You can't tell me that someone who probably has a masters ticket didn't know what part of the ocean he was on.

Terrible incident. Very frustrating that it doesn't seem to have stirred the ire that I would have expected.

As for brush paintings - I'm Italian and I'm happy to accept any stereotype (both positive and negative) that comes my way - they are generally correct and I'll find a way to live up to them. :)

That's painting with a rather broad brush - one I doubt our Chinese members would be happy being portrayed by.

I would assume Warren was talking about the Chinese government and not the people of china. I hope our coral won't be too damaged.

Yeah, it will grow back unless the ship dumps tons of heavy fuel oil on it not to mention the other life on the reef. I can't believe they are even allowed to get this close to the Great Barrier reef.

I would assume Warren was talking about the Chinese government and not the people of china. I hope our coral won't be too damaged.

I stand corrected, I know I can't say that about the people as a whole, there are of course some very fine people.

But stereo types become stereo types for a reason.

Look if this had been an Australian company that went over and trashed a Chinese national icon, that Australian company would be in some very deep ****.

There is an Australian citizen about to spend ten years in a Chinese prison because the Australian mining company he worked for didn't end up giving the Chinese government the deal it wanted.

What will happen to the Chinese captain who illegally took a short cut through our reef and got caught?

Bugger all I'll wager. Australia has an appalling record of doling out justice. We are just so afraid of hurting someones feelings.

No this incompetent and dishonest ships captain will get a slap on the wrist followed by an apology for the slap.

No wonder we get walked all over, we have a sucker sign on our backs and an L on our foreheads if we don't lock these people up for a good stretch of time and hold the Chinese government to task for this incident.

Sorry if this offends our Chinese brothers of the leaf but I'm a little angry about this.

You should be angry about this! Everyone should!

Not to be offensive, but it's true that some stereotypes are in place for a reason. The lack of regard towards the environment that the Chinese gov't and industrial interests display is appalling in it's own right.

I won't go on any further about this, because I'll only get more upset. Suffice to say I think the Captain responsible for this ought to hang from the gallows with the Somali pirates!

Tragic, and as anyone knows re marine life and coral in particular, it takes decades and decades just to grow in clean water.

Re the Chinese, it's pretty sad, but I think any ***-for-tat trial where the capt etc get put away for a long time would be meaningless for the Chinese govt. In my experience they'd happily have them brought back and shot if it kept trade unscathed, they simply don't care for their citizens like some other governments do.

The People's Party have repeatedly stated that the economy comes before the environment, as they can put that right once they become a rich nation. Unfortunately, mother nature may not be so accommodating but we'll just have to wait and see.

For now at least, the only things that have any leverage with the PRC (from a foreigner point of view) is money, profits and resources. So I agree pretty much 100% with Ken's post in that trade penalties should definitely be levied when this type of stuff occurs. China needs Australia, not the other way round.

Plus, the environment can't fight back, at least not in the short term, so it really is up to us to protect it.

Re Chinese people - my experience of mainland Chinese is that they're just trying to get by like everyone else. Laid back and friendly for the most part, although environmental awareness is admitedly quite thin. Only difference is they have a govt which is effectively answerable to no one.

BUT....whilst I see where Colt is coming from above, as you tend to associate trust on a personal rather than international level so it does seem a bit harsh, and don't think we need to be too sensitive about this.

As a citizen, you are by default responsible for what your nation does, whether you agree with it or not imo. And if your fellow countrymen stuff up somewhere, I don't see any problem with being 'tarred with the same brush' when any response comes.

My post was made without malice, and it's not my intent to be antagonistic (believe it or not, I consider Warren a friend). But let's say you are a

moderator here and I am not. I post saying you can't trust the Jews, or the Mexicans, or the Irish, and follow up with a similar story.

As a moderator, would you say absolutely nothing, or at least mention it in passing? I'm not being defensive or thin skinned, by any means, but ask

rhetorically. I also realize there are plenty of other things which could be considered in the same light, but I've no desire to open Pandora's box -

just wanted to briefly explain why I mentioned anything to begin with.

Let's see...the Chinese government is totalitarian. They rule over their population with a cruel and iron clad fist. They imprison, torture and kill anyone unfortunate enough to violate often indiscriminate laws and policies. They permit and even promote horrendous human slavery within their factories. They allow the manufacture and export of goods containing harmful substances (i.e. lead in toys). They ban any form of expression that is deemed "anti-government." They slaughter masses of people who gather in protest.

BUT...because they've emerged as an economic super-power, all of these human rights violations are summarily ignored by the West, and China increasingly believes they can act with impunity because essentialy, they can. We let them.

I won't speak for any others on this forum, but frankly, HELL NO I don't trust China...why should I?

I work with Cosco as they are cheap...now we know why. terrible news.Never use them again.

It really is terrible whats happened. The reef is not something that is expendable. I dont think they should have been allowed to sail that close to it in the first damn place.

My post was made without malice, and it's not my intent to be antagonistic (believe it or not, I consider Warren a friend). But let's say you are a

moderator here and I am not. I post saying you can't trust the Jews, or the Mexicans, or the Irish, and follow up with a similar story.

As a moderator, would you say absolutely nothing, or at least mention it in passing? I'm not being defensive or thin skinned, by any means, but ask

rhetorically. I also realize there are plenty of other things which could be considered in the same light, but I've no desire to open Pandora's box -

quite right mate, fair as ever :) . Thinking about it I would have done the same thing.

Judging by opinions often expressed on these boards, a book which may be of real interest regarding China and trade with the West is the 'War for Wealth' by Gabor Steingart. An interesting read, mostly on the unsustainability of total free trade but he also comes up with some interesting future scenarios.

Anyway, back on topic it'll be interesting to see if the Aus government makea big deal of this. Is it getting much coverage in the news over there?

No you are quite right Ross, I should have considered that opening line before I wrote it down.

And believe it or not I consider you a friend also.

However trust is earned not bought.

Ross is spot on.......as usual :D

Care must always be taken to separate a Govt's actions from its people and to treat the media with as much suspicion as a guy at the school gate handing out sweets. If one believed the media, then each nation's peoples would be stereotyped....war mongering Americans, red necked Australians, surrender monkey French, Pompous Poms, lazy New Zealanders, corrupt Africans, Jihadist Muslims, child molesting Catholics. A thread of truth can be garnered from each stereotype but is woven into an all encompassing blanket of certainty. It is not that some of these "threads" aren't a lot of fun to play with in the right circumstance (our pommy and kiwi bashing is a rule in point) but it becomes dangerous when the thoughts become a tool of "Fact" designed to inflict harm. Nazi Germany and the Jews come to mind.

I am a huge believer in people travelling extensive when young. It opens eyes as to the realities of the world and changes your opinion of the media and Govt forever.

As for the Chinese Tanker currently holed up on our reef. The Australian Federal Govt and State Govt are as much to blame and anyone. How on earth do we allow this to occur in a world of Satellite tracking? I suspect it has been going on for far longer than they are prepared to admit but for the "mining royalties" have they been prepared to turn a blind eye?

This story has a few twists and turns to come.

However trust is earned not bought.

Whew, I'm glad you told me - I was just about to ship you a case of Bin 389! In the spirit of trust and friendship, I'll be drinking it myself - no need to thank me!

Bottoms up!

hiccup........

I still stand by my claim that all Italain sterotypes are correct, in one way or another :D

I'm glad to hear it - now how about whipping me up a pizza.........