The Pipe smokers thread. Everything & anything!

Well, as stated in a previous pipe-thread I smoke my pipes during the wintertime when the weather and temperature simply wont allow me to enjoy my cigars. IMO cigars is way better in all aspects but sometimes there simply isnt the right time and place for them.

Straight pipes only: One old french Normandie and a cheap ass Dollar-pipe. Tobacco: Borkum Riff mixed with tobacco from my plugged habanos. :)

Now the spring is here and the pipes will rest until next winter...

post-2756-1269639243.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha. Some hilarious stuff to be found on this thread. So-called pipe experts dogging Latakia and Virginia blends? Classic. Check out any pipe tobacco forum or piece of literature. Aromatics are for newbies or those concerned about room aroma with an over-bearing spouse. Sack up men.

Amen to that... the aromatics are crowd pleasers at best. There's nothing like a strong, full Latakia (e.g. Old Ironsides) to kick you in the teeth. The wife hates the smell, but you gotta love the taste.

Brutusthebuckeye was a little embarassed about posting up his pipe collection, so he asked if I would do it for him.

It is a tokemaster 5000 circa 1999, made in Pacoima, Ca.

6074d1224478890-need-some-ideas-new-bong-pictures-045.jpg

Ooh bitchin.

Anyone got pizza?

Here are a few shots of some of my favorites.

P3260328-1.jpg

P3260318-1.jpg

P3260319-1.jpg

P3260320-1.jpg

P3260327-1.jpg

This last one is a little old and delicate but it's an interesting pipe, I should get a deer stalker hat to go with it.

Here are some of my pipes. iphone quality. Mixture of makers. Formers, Ilsteds, Dunhills, Castellos. Anyway. Props to all on the board who know how to enjoy both cigars and pipes. Sod off to those who read threads they know nothing about just to post juvenile comments. Smoke on.

post-6353-1269810866.jpg

post-6353-1269810930.jpg

post-6353-1269810956.jpg

post-6353-1269810982.jpg

post-6353-1269811007.jpg

post-6353-1269811040.jpg

post-6353-1269811110.jpg

post-6353-1269811206.jpg

post-6353-1269811302.jpg

post-6353-1269811336.jpg

post-6353-1269811377.jpg

Enviable collection both Warren and khomeinist, I aspire to have such a collection in the future. Quick question though, does the experience differ due to the different shape of the pipes or is it pretty much the same?

Enviable collection both Warren and khomeinist, I aspire to have such a collection in the future. Quick question though, does the experience differ due to the different shape of the pipes or is it pretty much the same?

Yes it looks as though Khomeinist prefers straight pipes and I prefer bent pipes.

The experience that I have had is that with a bent pipe like the Peterson you are less inclined to accidentally get a mouthful of that nasty juice that can build up in a pipe.

But mostly for me I just prefer the feel and look of the bents.

I do have some straight pipes and when I get a moment I'll post some pictures of those.

Ha. Yeah. I kinda prefer straights. Just aesthetics I guess. I like a good Peterson bent, I just don't own one right now. Bents tend to be quite comfortable when reading, driving, or moving about town. The lower center of gravity or something.

The main difference I have found in different shape designs relates to how hot the bowl can get. I like to look for relatively thick walls, a well-centered draft-hole, a well-engineered tenon, etc. I have trouble with pots and some fully-bent pipes. The former don't burn the way I like. The latter can be difficult to clean. I like to use pipe cleaners while I smoke as the sound, flavor, and overall idea of gurgaling juice in my pipe makes me a bit ill.

I have found great differences in the way different pipes smoke from different makers. Some brands are more consistent than others of course. Dunhill employs several people and therefore there can be a fair bit of product variability. Former pipes are made by one man, and I have found a high level of consistency in his products.

I look for a cool, dry smoke. I try to match makers and shapes that produce that result for me. I certainly don't always succeed. Those failures get sold. Fortunately my local smoke shop has one of the better estate pipe collections in the world. This is fortunate as I don't really care for the non-Cuban cigars sold there. I spend a few hours each week smoking some of the estate pipes so I can furthur refine my preferences according to shape, maker, etc.

Anyway. Hope that helps.

Here are my straight pipes.

This first one is from World war 1 and I don't believe it has ever been smoked.

On the front of the bowl are five flags and the dates 1914 to 16.

P3260326-1.jpg

P3260325-1.jpg

P3260322-2.jpg

The pipe above was from about the 1930's and when I bought it was unsmoked.

P3260321-1.jpg

P3260323-1.jpg

P3260324-1.jpg

P3260330-1.jpg

P3260331-1.jpg

Nice pipes guys. I was in Washington D.C. over the weekend and stopped by Georgetown Tobacco. They had a great display of pipes there. I was seriously tempted to make a purchase after having read this thread on Thursday just before I left for D.C. Didn't pull the trigger though. Maybe sometime down the road. I find that the smell of pipe tobacco often reminds me of my grandfather. He was a Colonel in the Army, very stoic and quiet, but was always puffing on his pipe, especially when sitting over a chessboard. If I recall, he had a collection of mostly straight pipes. The man is still alive today 94 years old. Still plays chess, but no longer smokes a pipe.

Yes it looks as though Khomeinist prefers straight pipes and I prefer bent pipes.

The experience that I have had is that with a bent pipe like the Peterson you are less inclined to accidentally get a mouthful of that nasty juice that can build up in a pipe.

But mostly for me I just prefer the feel and look of the bents.

:)

sorry

Lol...Even I didn't pick that one up. Khomeinist, what say you to such childish behavior?

Warren, you have a really cool pipe collection. I am diggin the ones with the history behind them. :D

Yes you sometimes wonder who owned them.

What did these people do with there lives.

Were they successful.

Were they famous.

Did they die from some kind of pipe smoking illness.

Oh my God what have I been sucking on. :cigar:

Lol...Even I didn't pick that one up. Khomeinist, what say you to such childish behavior?

Warren, you have a really cool pipe collection. I am diggin the ones with the history behind them. :)

ha. Is that an Internet warrior baiting me? Ha. Ok young defender of the low-brow, proud champion of lazy irony....I will answer the call.

Yeah. *** jokes in a public forum seem kinda lame and tired to me. Far too many threads (on the net in general and not specifically pertaining to this site of course) get hijacked with this type of sophistry. Great. You don't know anything about pipes. No problem. I think pipe-smokers have to put up with this baiting stuff a lot (particularly in middle America). A pipe (like a cigar) is a means to an end (ha) and not everybody wants to associate their smoking experiences with some of the stupidest aspects of modern society.

Ha. There you go. Chalk it up to having a kid and losing my inner 12 year old. Carry on. I would like to see the thread have some longevity before sinking into the mire.

Ha again

A few responses:

chenman: sounds like a great time in DC. I would recommend getting a relatively nice pipe to start. A lot of people start with cheaper pipes as they learn the hobby and then get put off because the pipe doesn't smoke right. I would recommend to anyone starting out to get a good mid-level pipe that has already been broken in (estate) or that is from a maker that is known to either cure or treat their pipes in such a way so that the break-in process is not too unpleasant. This may seem to be tangential advice, but trust me that many new smokers get put off early due to difficulties with their first pipe.

Rather than give paragraphs of unsolicited advice, I will just recommend to be patient when picking a first pipe and to try to develop a strong relationship with a tobbaconist to help with emerging questions on packing, lighting, cleaning, what to smoke, etc.

Warren: nice photos. I have never seen anything like the war pipe. I agree that it is interesting to wonder about the history of a pipe and it's owner(s). I have several pipes from friends of mine who have passed on. I guess I like to honor them by holding onto some of their favorite pipes and occasionally thinking of them while enjoying a bowl. Perhaps that is excessively sentimental for some. I am into history, honor, and a lot of unfashionable stuff.

Used pipes that have been well-maintained always have a story, can be a good value purchase, often smoke quite well, and are a lot of fun to collect.

I enjoy both breaking in new pipes and enjoying those that have been smoked for decades by other collectors. Insert hilarious *** jokes where needed.

Ha

Thanks for posting this thread! I bought this pipe a few years ago with the intention of smoking plugged cigars with it. I guess my downfall from the beginning has been trying to get some sort of similarity with cigars from the pipe, which hasn't worked too well. But thanks to the lighting method in the youtube link I just finished my first pleasant bowl with some generic pipe tobacco and chopped up habanos.

post-6228-1269976794.jpg

I think my main problem with pipesmoking has been the lighting method, and I have probably packed it too tight and then drawn too hard, which has resulted with uncomfortably hot burn, and the pipe not staying lit. I still didn't quite manage the latter, or I don't even know how it's supposed to be, I find myself relighting constantly. The draw while lighting with the said method produced some very good tasting smoke, but the ones after that were a lot thinner, and the balancing between keeping it going and not overheating feels a bit tricky. I'm guessing this is becouse I still don't know how to properly fill the bowl, and also becouse the draw differs from cigars. I did manage to smoke the entire bowl, and got a surprisingly strong nicotine kick in the end. At the brink of overheating the taste got very interesting, sweet and spicy liquorice.

Any suggestions about what I should do differently?

I think my main problem with pipesmoking has been the lighting method, and I have probably packed it too tight and then drawn too hard, which has resulted with uncomfortably hot burn, and the pipe not staying lit. I still didn't quite manage the latter, or I don't even know how it's supposed to be, I find myself relighting constantly. The draw while lighting with the said method produced some very good tasting smoke, but the ones after that were a lot thinner, and the balancing between keeping it going and not overheating feels a bit tricky. I'm guessing this is becouse I still don't know how to properly fill the bowl, and also becouse the draw differs from cigars. I did manage to smoke the entire bowl, and got a surprisingly strong nicotine kick in the end. At the brink of overheating the taste got very interesting, sweet and spicy liquorice.

Any suggestions about what I should do differently?

Firstly, nice pipe mate it looks strikingly similar to mine but with a straighter bowl. It wouldn't happened to be of the Medico brand would it? In regards to the relighting, I think it is a combination of getting everything right including the packing, initial flaming, the tamping, the lighting and the rhythm you smoke in.. I have noticed after a few months that I am relighting my pipe less and less now but there is the odd time where I feel I have produced bad packing and had to relight several times throughout the bowl. I find that I have found the sweet spot in my rhythm where I puff enough for it not to go out, yet not enough to make it burn too hot and produce tongue bite which I think is the key to a good bowl.

Perhaps you may be drawing too frequent/strong which is causing the bowl to overheat and go out or the pipe is packed too tight causing the 'suffocate' effect? I am sure a few of the more experienced smokers will be able to help you further but I think with pipe smoking that practice does indeed make perfect as it is an art of sorts.

A few responses:

chenman: sounds like a great time in DC. I would recommend getting a relatively nice pipe to start. A lot of people start with cheaper pipes as they learn the hobby and then get put off because the pipe doesn't smoke right. I would recommend to anyone starting out to get a good mid-level pipe that has already been broken in (estate) or that is from a maker that is known to either cure or treat their pipes in such a way so that the break-in process is not too unpleasant. This may seem to be tangential advice, but trust me that many new smokers get put off early due to difficulties with their first pipe.

Rather than give paragraphs of unsolicited advice, I will just recommend to be patient when picking a first pipe and to try to develop a strong relationship with a tobbaconist to help with emerging questions on packing, lighting, cleaning, what to smoke, etc.

Warren: nice photos. I have never seen anything like the war pipe. I agree that it is interesting to wonder about the history of a pipe and it's owner(s). I have several pipes from friends of mine who have passed on. I guess I like to honor them by holding onto some of their favorite pipes and occasionally thinking of them while enjoying a bowl. Perhaps that is excessively sentimental for some. I am into history, honor, and a lot of unfashionable stuff.

Used pipes that have been well-maintained always have a story, can be a good value purchase, often smoke quite well, and are a lot of fun to collect.

I enjoy both breaking in new pipes and enjoying those that have been smoked for decades by other collectors. Insert hilarious *** jokes where needed.

Ha

Very sound advice on the purchasing of an estate pipe to begin with, I am now wishing I had followed this path before I bought mine although I feel I have broken mine in by now with 35+ bowls.. I will look to find a few used pipes for my next couple so as I can try many a different blends throughout a range of different pipes rather than just the one. The sentimental value and the history of an estate pipe is just an added bonus as I too would find it fascinating to think of the situations that one before me may have been enjoying a bowl as I am at that moment.