The Pipe smokers thread. Everything & anything!

That's one amazing piece of work bud!

I'd be too scared to smoke that one, it looks so good. :lmao::D

I remember the time you were gifted (I now know why) Latakia blend tobacco and that was the most rancid taste and smell I have ever experienced! They should have renamed that 'Old mummiefied man in a tin wearing flannel' ;)

MacBarenLatakiaBlend.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread Buch0

Have had some experience with pipes,nothing compared to the other guys,eventually gave it away for cigars :lmao:

Great thread nonetheless and has got me thinking what you have been (it just makes sense)

Look forward to reading more posts

cheers OZ ;)

Here you go Rob

Business idea ;)

PIPE CZAR :lmao:

I used to smoke a pipe almost exclusively. It's been a long time, but I've been thinking of picking it up again for the occasional bowl between cigars.

I tried a lot of blends, and I enjoyed the variety. It was a progression, though. Once I started alternating pipe with cigar, I found the sweeter blends a little overbearing and preferred more pure tobacco flavors. My favorite non-sweet one was MacBaren Club Blend. I highly recommend it for cigar smokers, though that's not to say it tastes like a cigar.

Pipes do improve with use, and it takes a while to break-in a new one. At least one I bought new never came around (one out of 10 or so bought new), so just like cigars there is some risk of wasted investment (both as regards the pipe and the tobacco). There's nothing wrong with a good used pipe (sanitized, of course). I also have about 30 pipes that I was gifted by my Dad and by a friend of his who gave it up. I suspect there are an awful lot of really nice used pipes out there that can be had for a song.

Actually I would much prefer to be a pipe smoker instead of a cigar smoker. My wife, however, threatened to divorce me over smoking a pipe and she bought me my first box of cigars (montecristo #4's) to distract me from smoking a pipe.

While I truly enjoy my cigars, I'd honestly prefer the pipe. She prefers that I smoke cigars and hates the pipe, in the interest of domestic harmony we compromised and I now smoke only cigars B)

-- Gary F.

Actually I would much prefer to be a pipe smoker instead of a cigar smoker. My wife, however, threatened to divorce me over smoking a pipe and she bought me my first box of cigars (montecristo #4's) to distract me from smoking a pipe.

While I truly enjoy my cigars, I'd honestly prefer the pipe. She prefers that I smoke cigars and hates the pipe, in the interest of domestic harmony we compromised and I now smoke only cigars B)

-- Gary F.

Now that is a terrible shame. My better half actually likes the smell so I guess I'm pretty fortunate in that aspect. She hates the smell of cigars though.

Seriously guys, a pipe..........you guys are some classy individuals but a freakin pipe.....this is a cigar forum, not a place to discuss pipes

I have enough trouble to keep up with whats coming out of Havana, let alone pipes

Just busting balls :)..........not really

Bart

Thats why all things pipe will be limited to this one thread B)

Anyway, as stated before I had taken the filter out of my pipe early on in the piece and never replaced it, feeling that the draw was 'fuller' without the filter. After the advice of a few members here yesterday, I fitted a new filter last night and light up a bowl to see how what difference I could notice. To be honest I couldn't find much variation, maybe a tad tighter draw and less tongue bite towards the end, but overall it was a very slight change. Maybe its my pipe or even the blend but in the future it wouldn't bother me whether there was a filter in or out.

While I truly enjoy my cigars, I'd honestly prefer the pipe. She prefers that I smoke cigars and hates the pipe, in the interest of domestic harmony we compromised and I now smoke only cigars :)

-- Gary F.

Mate is that soley because of the aroma or she thinks pipes are worse for your health? Seems odd that she felt that stronly between the two to be honest!

As near as I can tell, it's purely psychological with her. It seems that her ex's father (I think that's who it was anyway) was a pipe smoker and she hated him. Her dad smokes cigars (although he also used to smoke a pipe as well from what he tells me). So when she smells the pipe, she thinks of her ex's dad and gets angry. When she smells a cigar, she thinks of her dad and gets happy.

I'm not too keen on her smelling my cigars and thinking of her dad, but he is a good man and I could do worse than be identified with him lol.

Of course, this is just my feeble brain trying to figure out exactly what her pipe hatred is about and I of course probably have it all wrong knowing how twisty some women's minds get. It's really kind of a shame because the fiddly nature of the pipe appeals to my own fiddly nature quite strongly, as well as me preferring the smell and taste. That being said, there is a *lot* more complexity in cigars and I do like that as well. I can manage to suffer through, I guess.

-- Gary F.

As near as I can tell, it's purely psychological with her. It seems that her ex's father (I think that's who it was anyway) was a pipe smoker and she hated him. Her dad smokes cigars (although he also used to smoke a pipe as well from what he tells me). So when she smells the pipe, she thinks of her ex's dad and gets angry. When she smells a cigar, she thinks of her dad and gets happy.

I'm not too keen on her smelling my cigars and thinking of her dad, but he is a good man and I could do worse than be identified with him lol.

Of course, this is just my feeble brain trying to figure out exactly what her pipe hatred is about and I of course probably have it all wrong knowing how twisty some women's minds get. It's really kind of a shame because the fiddly nature of the pipe appeals to my own fiddly nature quite strongly, as well as me preferring the smell and taste. That being said, there is a *lot* more complexity in cigars and I do like that as well. I can manage to suffer through, I guess.

-- Gary F.

Just be glad that she doesn't prefer the smell of non-cuban cigars over cuban cigars

Lol, when I first started on cigars she'd walk by and mooch a drag off of it, then ask me if it was cuban. If I told her yes she'd smile. If I told her no she'd crinkle up her nose and hand it back.

Didn't matter if it was *actually* cuban or not, only what I told her heh.

-- Gary F.

-- Gary F.

Gary.

Why does your wife hate pipes?

EDIT: Strike my last question, just read all the posts. :)

I also have a few pipes. All of mine are estate pipes and were bought mostly from antique shops.

I like the Peterson pipes and have about three of those.

I occasionally go back to the pipe but I do find that the cigar is a cleaner smoking experience.

What I hate about pipes is the moisture that accumulates in the bowl. Suck some of that up and it will ruin your day.

P7250161.jpg

Here are most of my pipes.

I bought the pipe rack on the right complete with pipes for about $300. The rack was from about the 1910 era and is English oak.

The funny thing I have noticed about pipes is that the aroma is experienced more by the people around you.

It's said that simple people are easily amused........

Reading this thread, I've lost count of how many times I've giggled over the term "pipe smoker" :)

LOL! B) Sounds like you packed your pipe with something other than tobacco this morning mate!

Nice collection Warren, I didn't even think about checking antique shops for pipe memorabilia. I have thought about looking for a humidor in a few before though.. Don't know how hard they would be to come across. Would you consider selling any of those pipes?

I got my first pipe when I was about 4 or 5 years old. It was one of my grandfather's that he no longer smoked, and it became my toy. As a little boy, I absolutely loved the smell of pipe tobacco, both at cold and the aroma of the smoke. I'd wait for my grandfather to put down his pipe and leave the room, and then I'd bury my nose in his pouch of tobacco, or see if I could draw any smoke out of the bowl.

I went to a tobacco shop a few years ago, fully intent on buying a pipe to smoke, but I became overwhelmed with the choices and left. More recently, I'd been thinking about it again. Thanks for the thread.

I also have a few pipes. All of mine are estate pipes and were bought mostly from antique shops.

I like the Peterson pipes and have about three of those.

I occasionally go back to the pipe but I do find that the cigar is a cleaner smoking experience.

What I hate about pipes is the moisture that accumulates in the bowl. Suck some of that up and it will ruin your day.

P7250161.jpg

Here are most of my pipes.

I bought the pipe rack on the right complete with pipes for about $300. The rack was from about the 1910 era and is English oak.

The funny thing I have noticed about pipes is that the aroma is experienced more by the people around you.

I couldn't help noticing thta some of your pipes stems are faded and oxidised. I can tell you how to get them back to almost original condition if you're interested. Even better I could restore them for a small fee :blink:

I got my first pipe when I was about 4 or 5 years old. It was one of my grandfather's that he no longer smoked, and it became my toy. As a little boy, I absolutely loved the smell of pipe tobacco, both at cold and the aroma of the smoke. I'd wait for my grandfather to put down his pipe and leave the room, and then I'd bury my nose in his pouch of tobacco, or see if I could draw any smoke out of the bowl.

I went to a tobacco shop a few years ago, fully intent on buying a pipe to smoke, but I became overwhelmed with the choices and left. More recently, I'd been thinking about it again. Thanks for the thread.

Great bit of memory there mate, its a beautiful thing when something like that is such a vivid part of our past. I am probably safe to assume that many of us would also have a similar sort of recollection with out fathers/grandfathers. Its funny how smoking a pipe is synonymous with the past even more so than cigars. My mate just came back from a work trip to Amsterdam and said that many a men walk the streets with a pipe, something that is NEVER seen in Sydney.

Ha. Some hilarious stuff to be found on this thread. So-called pipe experts dogging Latakia and Virginia blends? Classic. Check out any pipe tobacco forum or piece of literature. Aromatics are for newbies or those concerned about room aroma with an over-bearing spouse. Sack up men.

But seriously. I have a 40 year old tin of John Cotton I am smoking out of right now. As complex and profound as any aged habano.

As for the crack against Dunhills. Are you serious? All the historic English makers have their appeal if you are into classic shapes. The Danish makers have their supporters. Hell. I have 8 or 9 Former pipes. Some of the Danish designs are a bit 'feminine' to me (for lack of a better term). I like the traditionally classic shapes. Canadians. Lovats. Bulldogs. Etc.

As to the 'pipe smoking' hilarity... To borrow Freud's turn of phrase... Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe. Discussions of 'favorite ring gauge' are just as suspect using that hypersexualized lens.

Ha. Apply grain of salt as needed

I couldn't help noticing thta some of your pipes stems are faded and oxidised. I can tell you how to get them back to almost original condition if you're interested. Even better I could restore them for a small fee :blink:

Sure if you feel like enlightening me I would be glad to give it a try.

LOL! :blink: Sounds like you packed your pipe with something other than tobacco this morning mate!

Nice collection Warren, I didn't even think about checking antique shops for pipe memorabilia. I have thought about looking for a humidor in a few before though.. Don't know how hard they would be to come across. Would you consider selling any of those pipes?

Try to find one of the bigger antique stores, the ones that gather a lot of dealers in the one site.

I found that they are more likely to have a few pipes. You have to be lucky to find good ones though.

Not really into selling my things, bit of a bower bird I guess.

Take my comments for what little they're worth, as I have ZERO experience with pipes and pipe tobacco... but I would have thought that smoking flavoured and aromatic pipe tobacco to be akin to smoking flavoured cigars.

What say ye?

I'm sure more people would enjoy aromatic pipe tobacco if they could just step away from their non filtered pipes for a moment. It's really a regional thing it seems, poms, yanks and the elderly tend to gravitate towards non filtered pipes with more savoury blends because that's pretty much all there was back when they started it. Aromatics are lovely blends matured in oak with natural ingredients like a fine whiskey and are much more predominant in Europe. Vauen have been making filtered pipes in Germany for decades. Classic shapes are just fine but I find them a little boring.

I'm sure more people would enjoy aromatic pipe tobacco if they could just step away from their non filtered pipes for a moment. It's really a regional thing it seems, poms, yanks and the elderly tend to gravitate towards non filtered pipes with more savoury blends because that's pretty much all there was back when they started it. Aromatics are lovely blends matured in oak with natural ingredients like a fine whiskey and are much more predominant in Europe. Vauen have been making filtered pipes in Germany for decades. Classic shapes are just fine but I find them a little boring.

I don't find classic shapes boring because they are often practical and you can smoke them without taking out a morgage. I don't feel the need to smoke modern-art statues. I like to move around town with my pipes....so that is another factor for liking less flamboyant styles.

I like pipes that showcase grain. The complexity of certain birds-eye patterns can be a bit intoxicating....especially when intoxicated.

As to the 'savory' versus 'aromatic' dichotomy.... the Latakia and Virginia mixtures are just more complex. Particularly with regards to the aging process. Virginia tobacco undergoes complex aerobic and anaerobic processes over time the give layers of complexity to the smoke. No different than cigars in that respect. Find some old Balkan Sobranie or Three Nuns and get back to me on the complexity aspect. And I have no problem smoking what the 'elderly' smoke. Older folks ALWAYS smoke better. Whether it be cigars or pipe tobacco. Years of experience is always needed when it comes to this tobacco hobby of ours.

Aromatic tobaccos are a bit like flavored cigars. Rather cheap chemicals or 'essential oils' are applied to the tobacco....often producing noxious results!!! In fairness I do like a couple of 'topped' pipe tobaccos. I recommend people try 'Pembroke' by Esoterica or 'Navy Flake' by Samuel Gawith. The former has a cognac topping, the latter has a rum topping. Both provide understated, nuanced top-notes to the rich natural tobacco flavors underneath.

Also....Anybody else like sand-blasted pipes? About half of my collection consists of blasts. I love the ring grain patterns in a good sand-blast. I also like that blasted pipes are less susceptible to the dings and knocks of everyday life.

Anyway. Good day to all....regardless of your smoking preferences.

I own many pipes that would be considered classic shapes and I love them dearly. There's no reason that a nice freehand can't display a nice vertical grain, I recently sold a very old Karl Erik massive freehand (it went to the states) because it had a huge bowl volume and it was non filtered. The grain on the pipe was amazing and it was pretty difficult to part with it. On the sandblasted issue, yes I do like them and your question prompted me to take a peek at my collection only to find there were only four. An Ascorti KS silver spigot, Savinelli non pareil, stanwell 110 (which I think is one of the coolest shapes they make) andthis beauty below which is a Paoul Winslow E grade. It probably should've been an EG (extra Grosse) because it's f'ing enormous!

post-6552-1269635317.jpg Sorry about the shitty photo quality, I only had my iPhone to take it without waking anyone up at this hour.

On the whole aromatics vs non, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I believe there are good and horrible tobaccos in both camps and neither could be compared to cigars, flavoured or otherwise.

Also I was wondering if anyone on here has rushed out and bought themselves a nice piece of briar since this thread started. It would be great to hear about.

I have gone back and forth smoking a pipe for the last 15 years or so. It is definitely a different experience than cigars. Really no comparison. My favorite tobacco is Bell's Three Nuns. It is a virginia perique and is the most unique pipe tobacco I've ever smoked. Tasty, tangy, spicy, fruity. Most definitely not flavored. :) For some reason, they don't sell this stuff in the USA, but it is definitely worth looking into if you are a fan of the periques.