The Pipe smokers thread. Everything & anything!

Well after my curiosity had been launched while observing and smelling the aroma of a group of men smoking pipes at a bar I was at recently, I decided to buy one and give it ago myself. I had read about cigar/pipe smokers who used the pipe as a sort of secondary option to cigars, when they didn't have the time or the means to sit down and smoke a cigar, and thought this could fit in well with my lifestyle.

There are times where in the past I have found myself wanting to smoke something but not seeing it feasible enough to smoke a cigar e.g watching a league game/movie on tv or something of the sort. I am the type of smoker who really likes to focus on the cigar throughout the duration and indulge/appreciate the experience, rather than smoke one for the sake of smoking something. I know some of you guys light up a cigar while doing the gardening or playing golf etc, but my budget at 24 doesn't allow me to smoke cigars at will like some of you do (This will change sometime in the future :shead: ).

Anyway, with most pipe tobacco blends being around $30-$40 for 50g around here, I thought that a pipe would complement my cigar collection perfectly. I went to my local tobacconist near work and after handling numerous different types and shapes of pipes, I finally found one that I felt most comfortable with and as strange as it sounds, felt I had an instant connection with. It was a Medico pipe made in italy, a bent briar with a round bowl.

24072_414783718507_815868507_5004281_7925235_n.jpg

24072_414770113507_815868507_5004262_1026010_n.jpg

24072_418593783507_815868507_5060622_3623035_n.jpg

The tobacconist had a magnitude of different blends, which being a newcomer totally overwhelmed me. I had read a bit about the different types and flavours produced by each, but there are literally hundreds of different types making it hard to single one out. After smelling the aroma of multiple, I found my most preferred to be a English Luxury blend, produced in Denmark by the Pipeman. It wafted with apricots/malt/sultanas and smelt delicious so I bought it and headed home to have my first pipe experience. The aroma wasn't close to what any cigar smells like, it was ALOT sweeter and fruitier, not subtle be any means. This was one of many indications that it was not going to similar to anything I taste in cigars which wasn't a bad thing, after all it was for a change of pace/scenery, not a substitute.

After reading the importance of a correctly packed pipe, I made sure I had sufficient knowledge not to ruin my first bowl. I watched a video on the 'frank method' of packing and decided this is what I would try first. (See the frank method here:

). It was indeed a special experience and probably one I wont forget when I comes to my smoking journey. There really is an art to perfect the packing of a pipe, as there is to lighting/smoking a cigar I guess. When I thought I was ready to go, I sat back on my balcony and lighted up not knowing quite what to expect.. the rest is history.

Mouthfulls of dried fruit and vanilla malt filled my senses with a 'cool' sensation on the palette after inhaling/exhaling the smoke, which along with the thickness/copious amounts of smoke produced is probably the thing that caught me out the most. Never before had I experienced that type of texture in smoke, one that leaves your mouth feeling like you had just eaten a mint. After a few relights throughout, I got to the end of the bowl where the tobacco started smoking bitter and hot which was the point where I decided to empty what was left.

24072_418607348507_815868507_5060914_6198353_n.jpg

Overall the experience on its own was quite enjoyable and in a complete different world to cigars. The main difference to me was the little to no complexity the pipe tobacco has. The first puff is what you will taste on the last, and the same as what future bowls will produce (as long as you are consistent in the packing/lighting phase). Complexity in CC's and their 'true' tobacco is one of the things that I love in cigars and one that cant be matched by anything else. In saying that, I am looking forward to trying more blends to see what they have to offer and can picture my pipe being alongside my cigars for a time to come.

I am interested to hear from any other members who on occasions pull out their pipe, and there thoughts on their own experiences!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread Buc0, I for one own a couple pipes, a rusticated briar made 2006 Stanwell Pipe of the year (Denmark) which I love along with a Stefano Santambrogio (Italian). :D

Unsure if you know, pipes come in all manners of grades, I have a very close friend of mine who LOVES pipes and owns many high grades that are worth a packet and smoke amazingly. I am sure now that you have this thread, he will drop in from time to time and post. :shead:

Stanwell%20Pipe%20Of%20The%20Year%202006%20(lg).jpg

My favourite tobacco is Stanwell Melange. Very sweet, fruits, mellow and creamy. The aroma is incredible.

Stanwell%20Melange%20Pfeifentabak%2050g.jpg

Does your pipe have a filter as mine are 9mm filters. The Americans for some reason love to smoke them without filters but trust me, filtered pipes are far better.

I prefer cigars over pipe smoking any day however they are both completely different and enjoyable on their own merits. :yes:

Stanwell%20Pipe%20Of%20The%20Year%202006%20(lg).jpg

Does your pipe have a filter as mine are 9mm filters. The Americans for some reason love to smoke them without filters but trust me, filtered pipes are far better.

That pipe is absolutely stunning mate.. When I went to buy mine, I did indeed have a budget of about $100 and just snuck in under that which I was happy about. I saw some of them had price tags of $800+ which I was astonished to see, although on closer inspection the exquisite craftsmanship in them was quite evident. Everyone says its probably best to have a few different pipes in your collection which is what I will aim at down the track, although as a beginner I already have a soft spot for my medico ;)

Mine DID have a filter in it, although I took it out after the first few bowls. I rather like the looser draw on the pipes, which is what I got when the filter had been removed. Do you recommend putting another one back in and what do you find the benefits are from the filters?

Mine DID have a filter in it, although I took it out after the first few bowls. I rather like the looser draw on the pipes, which is what I got when the filter had been removed. Do you recommend putting another one back in and what do you find the benefits are from the filters?

The biggest advantage I find with using the filter is that towards the 2/3rd of the bowl, you can often have moisture left in the tobacco which when smoking sits at the base of the pipes bowl, this can leave an unpleasant taste without the filter. Also, if your smoking to fast and the bowl becomes hot, like a cigar, the flavour can get a little harsh and IMO, using the filter reduces the harshness.

I will PM you a link to a great pipe store that is based in Melbourne, it is my mate Jasons friends own business, he restores pipes from all over the world as well as sells brand new pipes that are in alot of cases high grades/quality. In most cases, you can buy a pipe that is normally around $300 - $500+ new, for around $60 - $100.

My Stanwell as pictured cost me $300+ brand new from Melbourne (This is before I knew the contact above).

Please feel free to PM or even post questions anytime and if I cant answer, I will consult my friend Jason who knows a great deal and also restores these pipes on occasion. ;)

I actually smoked a pipe for a few months before moving across to cigars. I still have it sitting in its box somewhere at home, although I no longer smoke it.

I enjoyed it for what it was, although I find that I much prefer cigars. The difficulties is getting good pipe tobacco was definitely a factor for me. All that I had researched seemed to indicate that it wasn't a great idea to change tobacco's frequently either, as the pipe began to absorb and subsequently impart the flavours into later smokes. Cigars are so much easier to handle, without a diminished result set. I love the ease of just selecting a different cigar with a different profile if I feel like it.

Although there is something strangely satisfying about smoking a pipe after all the effort you put into packing it.

The biggest advantage I find with using the filter is that towards the 2/3rd of the bowl, you can often have moisture left in the tobacco which when smoking sits at the base of the pipes bowl, this can leave an unpleasant taste without the filter. Also, if your smoking to fast and the bowl becomes hot, like a cigar, the flavour can get a little harsh and IMO, using the filter reduces the harshness.

Well that answered one of my questions as to why on some bowls I get moisture at the bottom. I tried inhaling lighter and less frequent, but it still seemed to amount. I will stick a fresh filter in before my next bowl and see how it prevails, cheers for the heads up.

Have you any experience with the Davidoff or Peterson blends? Looking at giving these a go next.

Peterson_Luxury_Blend_50g_pipe_tobacco.jpg

Davidoff_Royalty_50g.jpg

I enjoyed it for what it was, although I find that I much prefer cigars. The difficulties is getting good pipe tobacco was definitely a factor for me. All that I had researched seemed to indicate that it wasn't a great idea to change tobacco's frequently either, as the pipe began to absorb and subsequently impart the flavours into later smokes. Cigars are so much easier to handle, without a diminished result set. I love the ease of just selecting a different cigar with a different profile if I feel like it.

Although there is something strangely satisfying about smoking a pipe after all the effort you put into packing it.

Totally agree. I find it hard to compare pipes to cigars on any level really besides the fact that they share the trait of inhaling/exhaling smoke. Everything from the growth of the tobacco to the storage of the tobacco to the means in which it is smoked is so completely different that it is really on another page altogether.

In regards to the different blends affecting the eventual taste profile of the pipe, that is also correct and the reason why many seasoned pipe smokers seem to recommend having about 6-8 different pipes in rotation. Very interesting fact.

Well that answered one of my questions as to why on some bowls I get moisture at the bottom. I tried inhaling lighter and less frequent, but it still seemed to amount. I will stick a fresh filter in before my next bowl and see how it prevails, cheers for the heads up.

Have you any experience with the Davidoff or Peterson blends? Looking at giving these a go next.

I'm guessing like cigars, tobacco should be kept in a humidor or tobacco jar (My friend Jason) keeps his in a small desktop and has it in perfect condition which in turn, does not release much moisture at all. I dont have a seperate desktop for pipe tobacco but instead, use a tupperware container with a small puck pouch moistener I soak once every few weeks in distilled water and it does the trick! ;)

s_moist4.jpg

I have never tried Davidoff but have smoked Peterson "Sweet Kilarney" (Excellent) and Luxury blend (Also nice). But...Keep away from Irish flake (Yuk - harsh).

Peterson%20Sweet%20Killarney%20(th).jpg

I highly recommend Stanwell blends also.

In regards to the different blends affecting the eventual taste profile of the pipe, that is also correct and the reason why many seasoned pipe smokers seem to recommend having about 6-8 different pipes in rotation. Very interesting fact.

Exactly right, I only ever smoke Stanwell Melange in my Stanwell and smoke 'Happiness" (As named by Jason) which is a personal blend/mixture of Stanwell Melange and Vanilla cream.

After each smoke in your pipe, it will eventually build it's own cake/layer within the bowl and the pipe will smoke better as it also absorbs oils etc from the tobacco.

Just ensure you clean your pipe after each smoke and NEVER remove your stem immediately after smoking your pipe as it can damage the stem. Let it cool off.

Just ensure you clean your pipe after each smoke and NEVER remove your stem immediately after smoking your pipe as it can damage the stem. Let it cool off.

By clean do you mean just scraping away any loose/excess waste within the bowl after the smoke? When I finish a bowl I use the spade on my multi-tool to get rid of any of the tobacco stuck to the bottom or sides of the bowl but be careful to leave a layer of the carbon build up.

How many bowls do you think it takes before a certain blends characteristics starts absorbing into the pipe itself? Is it a matter of a handful or say 50+?

By clean do you mean just scraping away any loose/excess waste within the bowl after the smoke? When I finish a bowl I use the spade on my multi-tool to get rid of any of the tobacco stuck to the bottom or sides of the bowl but be careful to leave a layer of the carbon build up.

How many bowls do you think it takes before a certain blends characteristics starts absorbing into the pipe itself? Is it a matter of a handful or say 50+?

Firstly, cleaning your pipe invlves scraping away any loose particles within the bowl however, I would recommend you use bristle type pipe cleaners as pictured below which come in standard/soft and bristled cotton forms. (Link will be sent to you shortly) You can fold these bristle brushes and run them on the inside of your bowl.

Once your pipe has cooled, remove the stem and run the bristle cleaner through the stem and then the shank of your pipe.

s_pca.jpgAzted%20Coloured%20Cleaners%20(th).jpg

Lastly, to build cake/layer within the bowl takes more than just a few smokes, I'd say around 30+ bowls.

Gah, this whole topic is making me consider finding another pipe and starting this whole journey again!

This time I would probably take a different approach though - start with a corncob pipe and search for a nice tobacco before investing in another briar.

I've seriously considered pipes for a while now.... but my lack of knowledge makes me hesitant to take the plunge.

Threads like this do inspire me to give a go soon.

If anyone here wishes to know where to grab a great pipe but without the HUGE expense charged here in Australia, drop me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction. The guy I know restores as well as often sells high grade pipes from Europe at great prices.

I've seriously considered pipes for a while now.... but my lack of knowledge makes me hesitant to take the plunge.

Threads like this do inspire me to give a go soon.

I will sum up the ups and downs of each from my own experience which might give you an idea of the differences.

Pipe to Cigar

Exceptionally full mouth of smoke most puffs - This is a trait not all may like, although I have always enjoyed an abundance of smoke for nothing more than the experience itself.

The cool smoke the pipe produces - This is something hard to explain and is better experienced by the individual. A very unique feeling that I have never got from a cigar but understand is only obtainable from a properly packed pipe. Its as if you are smoking a sweetened dry ice.

Great for a secondary motion - As I mentioned before, love being able to sit down infront of the tv or in a stadium and be able to puff on something that I pay little attention to.. its just there. Many of you do this with cigars, but isn't the case with myself.

Large variety of flavours - Totally different to cuban tobacco which we all love, but gives you a large range of different tastes available. If you feel like a real sweet smoke, you can have a bowl of a sweet blend and so on.. The vary GREATLY, not like the subtleness of a cigar.

Aroma - The most beautiful thing that you could smell IMO. An absolute treat that more than most bystanders would appreciate.

Satisfaction of a well packed bowl - Also hard to explain without experiencing it, but you know when you pack a good bowl (which really is an art) and you get a sense of pleasure and triumph.

Easy to maintain/consistant tobacco - No need to worry about plugged/loose smokes. No need to age, although some will say is the same case with cigars.

Cigars to Pipes

Cuban flavour - Why we are all here.. Nothing compares.

Complexity- As we all know, complexity in a good cigar is one of the main points that we base a good cigar on. The roller coaster of a ride that a good cuban produces is unrivaled by anything and something that is not found in a pipe, where they are very one dimensional and 'predictable' I find.

The end product of a great cigar - Presentation, construction and all visual aspects of a great cigar is something that is not found when smoking pipe tobacco. No one will deny they love opening a box of cigars and seeing such a beautiful hand produced product.

The cigar journey - Opening a humidor and seeing boxes of cigars that may hold some sort of sentimental value or hold many a memory shared with deared friends over the years. Hard to explain but you know what I mean, its part of the history of cigars and the whole aura produced. I don't 'respect' my pipe tobacco anything like I do my cigars.

Two very different experiences though and probably unfair to compare by any means but hopefully helps some!

I've thought about getting a pipe for a while also. I had an Uncle that smoked a pipe when I was younger and it was the most glorious smell I knew. I woman hates cigar smoke smell but said she likes pipe smell, so I might just have to take the plunge.

Hey guys. Pipe smoking/collecting is a big passion of mine. I gotta laugh about the filter pipe comments. You get A LOT more flavor without a filter. You need lots of pipe cleaners. I use one or two with each bowl I smoke.

I have over 50 pipes. Between pipes and habanos I am never at a loss for a unique smoking experience. I will post some photos when I get time. I like vintage estate pipes. Dunhill, Sasieni, Comoy, Castello, etc.

As far as tobacco? Only 'English' or 'Balkan' blends for me. Take a look at the Samuel Gawith, Esoterica, and McClelland lines for some truly superior tobaccos. I find 'aromatic' blends to smoke too wet and frankly I just prefer the taste of well-blended natural tobaccos.

Pipe smoking has a bit of a learning curve, but there is s time and place for a pipe that a cigar cannot always match.

Hey guys. Pipe smoking/collecting is a big passion of mine. I gotta laugh about the filter pipe comments. You get A LOT more flavor without a filter. You need lots of pipe cleaners. I use one or two with each bowl I smoke.

I have over 50 pipes. Between pipes and habanos I am never at a loss for a unique smoking experience. I will post some photos when I get time. I like vintage estate pipes. Dunhill, Sasieni, Comoy, Castello, etc.

As far as tobacco? Only 'English' or 'Balkan' blends for me. Take a look at the Samuel Gawith, Esoterica, and McClelland lines for some truly superior tobaccos. I find 'aromatic' blends to smoke too wet and frankly I just prefer the taste of well-blended natural tobaccos.

Pipe smoking has a bit of a learning curve, but there is s time and place for a pipe that a cigar cannot always match.

Interesting take on the filter situation, I will have a bowl or two tonight with the filter in and see how it goes.

Mate would love to see a picture or two of your collection and some of your favourite pipes, look forward to seeing the photos when you get the chance! Whats your favourite shape of pipe?

I have heard of the Esoterica blends but haven't seen them around in Aus, will have a closer look though cheers for the recommendations.

I will have a bowl or two tonight with the filter in and see how it goes.

A bowl or two? Aren't you supposed to let the poor thing rest and cool for like a day or two between smokes?

A bowl or two? Aren't you supposed to let the poor thing rest and cool for like a day or two between smokes?

Meaning 5pm and then again at 12 or so, plenty of time between bowls!

Seriously guys, a pipe..........you guys are some classy individuals but a freakin pipe.....this is a cigar forum, not a place to discuss pipes

I have enough trouble to keep up with whats coming out of Havana, let alone pipes

Just busting balls ;)..........not really

Bart

Seriously guys, a pipe..........you guys are some classy individuals but a freakin pipe.....this is a cigar forum, not a place to discuss pipes

I have enough trouble to keep up with whats coming out of Havana, let alone pipes

Just busting balls ;)..........not really

Bart

Do you think that may have something to do with the fact that that the term "Exclusivo" seems to make little difference to you? :lmao:

Hey guys, I too love pipes and thats why Mika27 suggested I join this forum. Looks like a pretty cool place. I couldn't help but notice someone earlier that was having a laugh at filtered pipes. I tend to laugh at non filtered pipes but they both have a place. Filtered pipes are for aromatics purely for the fact they burn much hotter and therefore produce more moisture when smoked. Non filtered pipes however are for dry non flavoured mixtures like virginia and similar other blends that smell like cow dung and taste like arse! IMO there is nothing special about a dunhill pipe other than a name. For incredible pipes look toward carvers like Teddy Knudsen and Jess Chonowitsch. Here is the most impressive pipe i've ever seen, only a few thousand Euros! Anyway keep this awesome topic going and we can enjoy discussing all things pipe!

post-6552-1269502543.jpg