Cigars from Vacation

Returned last week from a wonderful two weeks on the island of Kauai in Hawaii. My absolute favourite place on earth because I can eat fresh fish and sit on a beach for two weeks. First time with my 6 month old son who loved the beach and sand. I'm usually a one to two week cigar smoker unless I'm on vacation, then it's a nightly ritual. Had a good supply of CC which made the trip with me and here is a brief review of what I had.

Day 1 - RASS: Arrived at destination after 14 hours of travel with a six month old baby who handled the ordeal well. Tired and jet lagged I force myself out to the beach for my first cigar a RASS. I'm still a bit confused with this cigar. My first last year was stunning, with dried spices, coffee and woodiness with a perfect draw. This one was tight draw with quite a bit of earthiness and a hint of leather. My companion had a party short which he loved the size and cigar 15/20

Day 2 - Bolivar Petit Corona: "Evacuation Day" woke up at 6am to the sound of air raid sirens. I made some joke about the Japanese coming and my wife said "maybe its a Tsunami warning?" Dammit if she wasn't right. Grab as much as we can and literally head for the hills. Spent the afternoon at a middle school in the hills of Kapaa. Would have been a lovely day if it hadn't been for the impending disaster. After some very tense moments we realized the whole ordeal was "much to do about nothing" once they cut the TV coverage from Tsunami updates back to Olympic coverage. What a relief!!! Got back that evening after a wonderful dinner of Monchong (awesome fish). Needed something quick and reliable so went for a Bolivar Petit Corona and it lived up to the billing. They are like a good BBF but slightly less full bodied and seldom ever disappoint (unlike the BBF). Glad to be alive and on solid ground. 16/20

Day 3 - Punch Punch: "GOLD" - wake up, no air raid sirens, good sign. Get up and watch a fantastic Olympic hockey game between Canada and the US and Canada prevail in OT dramatic fashion. Moved over to the sunny shores of Poipu today. Had a wonderful dinner in of Ahi and Seabass. Topped the night off with a Punch Punch. Just got the box back from Cuba about a month ago with a June 07 box date. Couldn't wait to get my teeth into this, but it disappointed. Really lacked anything descriptive. 14/20

Day 4 - Cohiba Robusto "Birthday" - Turned a year older today, could think of worse places to spend a birthday. Dinner out just me and the wife (babysitter stayed back), went for the money cigar, a CORO. What a disappointment - bitter taste of charred wood, My last two boxes of CoRO's have been terrible. Don't even taste any close to what they should. Hope these get a better with a bit of time. 12/20

Day 5 - Vegas Robina Unicos - Wow, what a pleasant surprise. Got four boxes of these this year and this one was from the best looking box from 08. Creaminess, caramel sweetness, coffee. Like a great latte only better. Highlight of the trip. 18/20

Day 6 - Partagas P 2 - Not bad, but not as good as the Unicos. Partagas spicyness and grass. Good hopefully will get a bit better. 15/20

Day 7 - H Upmann Magnum 46: heard so much about the Mag 46 and got a bunch of Tubos from 08 from Cuba. Not my first one, but starting to wonder what the hype is about. A bit of toasted tobacco, OK draw but lacking complexity. 13/20

Day 8 - Montecristo No. 2 - Love Monte 2, one of my favourites. Last box was crap, didn't even taste like a Monte 2 and most had bad draw. This box has restored my hope. Good draw (perhaps a bit loose), but what a Monte 2 should taste like. Cedar, Nuts, Coffee, and cream. Wasn't going to smoke this because it was a late 09 box code, but really excited about these, very excited. 17/20

Day 9 - Punch Petit Punch - First time trying a Punch Petit Punch and enjoyed. My friend who I got them from suggested he could taste mint which could actually get. Sweet fruits and toasted tobacco. Will add to my rotation of PC's. 16/20

Day 10 - Romeo y Julietta Short Churchill. Sometimes these can be fantastic and sometimes not. This one was fantastic. Typical RnJ flavours and great draw. If I had the patience to age these for three years they would be brilliant. 17/20

Day 11 - Another Bolivar Petit Corona. I don't think I have ever had a bad one yet. 15/20

Day 12 - Montecristo No. 4 - Got two boxes back from Cuba last year. Box one was brutal. If they actually drew it was a miracle. If they drew well and didn't taste like crap, it was a bigger miracle. Just started second box and hadn't been impressed so far until this one. Started off brilliant with coffee, woodiness. Brilliant second third, lost it in the last third. Kicking myself for not aging longer but still building a stock. 16/20

Day 13 - No cigar!

Day 14 - Bolivar Belicosos Finos. I love BBF. I still have dreams of my first one early last spring. It was like someone made a double expresso latte out of an old leather football. Absolutely stunning. Since then day, I have never been back there. My box which I rushed out and bough has been disappointing (07 box code). Draw hasn't been great and mostly muted flavours. Sigh....... 12/20

Day 15 - Punch Petit Punch: Last cigar before heading home. Didn't expect to smoke today but had a last Punch Petit Punch. Terrible and Jekyl to the others Hyde. Put it out with a third left.

In Summary:

Highlights:

Vegas Robaina Unicos

Romeo y Julietta Short Churchill

Montecristo No. 4

Lowlights:

Cohiba Robusto (so disappointing when you know how good these can be)

H Upmann Magnum 46

Bolivar Belicosos Finos

Sorry for the lenghty post, thanks for reading!

G

Day 7 - H Upmann Magnum 46: heard so much about the Mag 46 and got a bunch of Tubos from 08 from Cuba. Not my first one, but starting to wonder what the hype is about. A bit of toasted tobacco, OK draw but lacking complexity. 13/20

Couldn't agree more. Had probably 6-7 of these in the last 12 months and all have been rubbish, earth and brick was all I could get out of them. Have little incentive to try anymore.

Sounds like a decent trip overall, but what holiday isnt :D

Sounds like a wonderful vacation overall.

Day 3 - Punch Punch: "GOLD" - wake up, no air raid sirens, good sign. Get up and watch a fantastic Olympic hockey game between Canada and the US and Canada prevail in OT dramatic fashion. Moved over to the sunny shores of Poipu today. Had a wonderful dinner in of Ahi and Seabass. Topped the night off with a Punch Punch. Just got the box back from Cuba about a month ago with a June 07 box date. Couldn't wait to get my teeth into this, but it disappointed. Really lacked anything descriptive. 14/20

Day 8 - Montecristo No. 2 - Love Monte 2, one of my favourites. Last box was crap, didn't even taste like a Monte 2 and most had bad draw. This box has restored my hope. Good draw (perhaps a bit loose), but what a Monte 2 should taste like. Cedar, Nuts, Coffee, and cream. Wasn't going to smoke this because it was a late 09 box code, but really excited about these, very excited. 17/20

Some similar experiences here with these cigars. I have some 07 Punch Punch that haven't been anything special yet, the handful of Mag 46s I have had have been less than impressive for me also and my 08 Monte No. 2's have been unbelievably good. :D

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Sounds like a wonderful vacation overall.

Some similar experiences here with these cigars. I have some 07 Punch Punch that haven't been anything special yet, the handful of Mag 46s I have had have been less than impressive for me also and my 08 Monte No. 2's have been unbelievably good. :2thumbs:

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Oddly enough, I had another Punch Punch from the same box last week after I got back and it was everything a Punch Punch should be. Lovely toasted tobacco, and some occassional stewed fruits (cherries and apricots), delicious! This box was stunning when I opened it, flawless construction and a bit of plume starting to develop already.

As for the Magnum 46, I will give them some time. I would like to hear some feedback from those who have enjoyed them and what their experiences were. They seem like they could have potential, but I just have not seen it yet.

Wow...an impressively long vacation with an equally impressive lineup of cigars. They can't all be winners, but they are all cigars that can be considered if not pleasure, than at least experience in those instances where the cigar fails to live up to expectations.

I would like to hear some feedback from those who have enjoyed them and what their experiences were. They seem like they could have potential, but I just have not seen it yet.

Great report! As for the magnum 46, I've been smoking from an '05 box which took a solid three years to start showing their stuff. Early on, they

really didn't show much of anything - not completely air and cardboard, but maybe a little toasted tobacco and not much else. They've evolved

into fantastic cigars which truly show their Upmann lineage. I smoked one about a week ago, and I'm still not sure they've reached their peak.

I don't know how things are with more recent vintages - that's my personal experience.

Thank you for your reviews, but you do know you'll have to start a whole new thread on your vacation, complete with pics.

Kauai is my favorite place too, and I probably won't be going back until 2012, so I need to live vicariously through others.

I just posted a note about my vaca and cigars - i didnt get the time to sit still for 2 hours and REALLY enjoy the smokes I brought. I smoked them, but missed out on what they have to offer as i was chasing fish or dodging boulders and steer in the Jeep.

Your experience sounds good!!

That's a great trip report!

Regarding the Mag46, I loved the ones I bought back in 07. So much so, that I bought a cab just recently (March 08 date code). I will try one and see how they are. The 08 tubo Mag 46 you had might needed more time since it is a tubo.

Thanks for sharing your Vaca with us. Sounds like a great trip!

Here's some more notes on some smokes I can relate to...

My punch petit punch box has had about 85% winners and 15% Hydes as you put it. The winners are awesome.

Punch Punch, also 07, have been non descript, but the last one is showing that the box may be turning around.

CoRo - Had some very good ones, and others that are OK. Nothing outstanding yet.

Boli PC - very good smokes, getting better with age. I don't liken them to BBF, however.

08 Unicos - beautiful smoke, a tad bit young. Should be the real deal with a bit of time.

And finally, my star performer: early 08 Mag 46. The boxes I have are wonderful and getting so much smoother as time goes by. They are outstanding.

I smoked a current Mag46 Tubo recently and it was half the smoke the 08's I have are. Rougher, mongrel and more one dimesional.