Does your wife tolerate prior girlfriends?

Ken, if that's the case he's already screwed. There's no good way out of the situation because the ONLY way out of a preset trap like that would have been to snub the ex completely. He's already screwed that possibility up.

-- Gary F.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken, if that's the case he's already screwed. There's no good way out of the situation because the ONLY way out of a preset trap like that would have been to snub the ex completely. He's already screwed that possibility up.

-- Gary F.

possibly but a casually dropped comment to the wife about how he ran into so and so and she was keen to catch up and he said sure but really he was just being polite and unless she, the wife, wanted to catch up with her then would she, the wife, mind if they dodged it. that can't be too bad.

True, that's not a bad way to handle it IF it's a trap. If it's not a trap, I still vote for the "keep your mouth shut" option.

The real answer was Rob should never have gotten himself into this predicament in the first place!

-- Gary F.

I have decided the only right way out of this situation is for Rob to have a huge FoH sale to get rid of all his stock at cost prior to the divorce proceedings. He should also make sure the shop is listed in his will to go to Lisa, just in case.

-- Gary F.

The real answer was Rob should never have gotten himself into this predicament in the first place!

-- Gary F.

I was running the line for my sons Rugby team....minding my own business! The only blame I have is that I was not celibate at 18!

Rob, Rob, Rob... while I might generally think you are a brilliant cigar man and an all around interesting individual who would be quite fun to go party with and end up divorced because of, if you honestly believe any woman will believe the "minding my own business" part you are certainly deluding yourself. Clearly, you should've blinked, said something brilliant like "Look! A puppy!", pointed into the middle distance and then promptly disappeared in a puff of smoke. That's the only thing to do when confronted by such a situation.

-- Gary F.

I was running the line for my sons Rugby team....minding my own business! The only blame I have is that I was not celibate at 18!

still, at this moment of an impending crisis in your treasured marriage, you'll no doubt take the time to head home early, probably with a bunch of flowers, and take your wife to a nice romantic dinner to convince her that it was all a misunderstanding and that nothing is more important than her.

oh wait. no, you're coming around to my balcony to smoke cigars and empty the cellar. at least i'm not judgemental and really don't care who you touched when.

i've just realised - you and smithy remind me of the guys from 'two and a half men'. not saying which is which (say hi to alan, sorry smithy, for me). that would make mini-smithy jake.

I think the severity (or outcome) of the situation can be determined by the 1 through 10 scale. Let's just throw some number out there for discussion sake. Say your wife is a 7, and the ex is a 9, don't even think about going there cause your F'd in every way. Now if the ex is 3 or 4 at best, you may have a chance that your wife may be OK hanging out with her. Although, in my 10 years of being happily married, I would have to say don't go there man, a woman's jealousy goes so much deeper than a man's mind can comprehend.

Sam, are you nuts? Dude, I've been married twice. The right answer is "KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT" and when confronted with undeniable proof "CLAIM STUPIDITY". I didn't do that my first marriage and thus the forced upgrade to wife 2.0 (who I will freely admit is a FAR better model). Granted there were quite a few other factors in play with the starter wife (such as her being a complete and utter *****, but then I digress).

I liberally claim stupidity with wife 2.0 and it works a treat, especially when I slip up and show occasional flashes of brilliance which she can then attribute to her expert guidance and influence on my personal development :shead: When she is happy, I am happy and when she is unhappy, nobody's happy. Believe me, if you bring it up out of some misbegotten idea to "come clean" they are going to chew on it over and over and over and it will fester into a great sucking chest wound. If you don't say anything and they somehow find out, you will just be able to (rightfully) claim it was so unimportant and trivial that you didn't even remember it or consider it worth sharing. It's not being "deceitful", it's just not bringing things to the table that you *know* they will then fold up until it's all sharp corners and stab you with.

You know what they call married guys who tell their wives everything? They call them single, that's what they call them...

Repeat after me.. "What they don't know won't hurt you..."

-- Gary F.

And thats why there is shiraz, lol. Obviously by following my own advice, Ive learned to appreciate it.

Next time, I may very well just claim stupidity and not say a damn thing.

Upfront is the best way to be.

Prior or current girlfriend, doesn't matter, our trust is built on being honest with each other, and being sure that we make enough time for each other.

Sam, are you nuts? Dude, I've been married twice. The right answer is "KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT" and when confronted with undeniable proof "CLAIM STUPIDITY". I didn't do that my first marriage and thus the forced upgrade to wife 2.0 (who I will freely admit is a FAR better model). Granted there were quite a few other factors in play with the starter wife (such as her being a complete and utter *****, but then I digress).

I liberally claim stupidity with wife 2.0 and it works a treat, especially when I slip up and show occasional flashes of brilliance which she can then attribute to her expert guidance and influence on my personal development :) When she is happy, I am happy and when she is unhappy, nobody's happy. Believe me, if you bring it up out of some misbegotten idea to "come clean" they are going to chew on it over and over and over and it will fester into a great sucking chest wound. If you don't say anything and they somehow find out, you will just be able to (rightfully) claim it was so unimportant and trivial that you didn't even remember it or consider it worth sharing. It's not being "deceitful", it's just not bringing things to the table that you *know* they will then fold up until it's all sharp corners and stab you with.

You know what they call married guys who tell their wives everything? They call them single, that's what they call them...

Repeat after me.. "What they don't know won't hurt you..."

-- Gary F.

In all seriousness, this should be mandatory reading for men at any marriage guidance / counselling / advice etc course. read it before you get married. Read it after you get married. This is your gospel men - read it, memorise and then destory the evidence that you ever saw it.

First rule of Gary's marriage gospel - there is no Gary's marriage gospel