My latest acquisition

As my Lonsdale search commences, I begin with a box of Diplomaticos #1. I actually ordered two boxes, the first arrived today. They look excellent, with an oily sheen, excellent construction with not one plugged cigar from what I can tell! and a dark wrapper, very very nice! They also have a heavy box press, which I don't mind. The aroma is decent, not overpowering, but not absent either.

My question is this. I was told that the cigars have a box code of ARA ABR 01. I bought them based on that, because I had it on good authority that 2001s, while some are tight, could be very nice Lonsdales! The problem is.....the box code sure doesn't look like a 2001. Does anyone have any cigars from the above box code, and can tell me if theirs looks like this too? I really didn't want anything to do with 2000 cigars, but it kinda looks like thats what it is!

I can't smoke one to be sure for a month, following the 30 day rest period....but I am concerned now! Can anyone help?

Thanks everyone!

post-5835-1268366764.jpg

post-5835-1268366773.jpg

post-5835-1268366780.jpg

Mate definatley '00 by the looks of things.. As Ken said I would question the vendor, especially if you specified 01. Love the box press by the way, let me know if you decide you don't want them :cigar:

As my Lonsdale search commences, I begin with a box of Diplomaticos #1. I actually ordered two boxes, the first arrived today. They look excellent, with an oily sheen, excellent construction with not one plugged cigar from what I can tell! and a dark wrapper, very very nice! They also have a heavy box press, which I don't mind. The aroma is decent, not overpowering, but not absent either.

My question is this. I was told that the cigars have a box code of ARA ABR 01. I bought them based on that, because I had it on good authority that 2001s, while some are tight, could be very nice Lonsdales! The problem is.....the box code sure doesn't look like a 2001. Does anyone have any cigars from the above box code, and can tell me if theirs looks like this too? I really didn't want anything to do with 2000 cigars, but it kinda looks like thats what it is!

I can't smoke one to be sure for a month, following the 30 day rest period....but I am concerned now! Can anyone help?

Thanks everyone!

post-5835-1268366764.jpg

post-5835-1268366773.jpg

post-5835-1268366780.jpg

The ARA code was for the J Cano factory and this code was used from 2000-2003. Your box is a 2000--I have the same stamp and, while not quite as smudged as yours, it is the same in the end.

Chris,

While the knowledge of box codes serves me well it is but a guide offset with, or correlated to my memory or experience with certain cigars. While I may not have gone out and blindly ordered a box of cigars given a certain year based on my experiences I can't condone condemning them before trying them. You take some known risks with '99-'00 cigars. For that risk I want an offset, usually price. But now you have got them... The question is what to do with them?

It is not beyond argument that '98-'01 were known for some vast variations in cigars. Perhaps the reputation alone is enough to get some folks to direct orders and guide them away from certain cigars and certain vintages. I would typically like some hands on knowledge when purchasing '99's or '00's or perhaps a discount to offset my trepidation. BUT... what I won't do typically is condemn a cigar on my doorstep before it is smoked.

Now I can't arrest your fears of certain vintages or of certain cigars. Many of those reputations exist for a reason. You have purchased a cigar, a cervantes, out of a year with a known reputation. But what you have also done is procured a cigar of a model and brand which is not produced in vast numbers. You have examined the cigars and you are half way home.

What is known and what is unknown. You have for certain a vendor problem; one who has disregarded your directives. Unfortunately this is not altogether uncommon. Even the best of vendors while they may certainly take more care, can send you the wrong box of cigars. What you don't know is whether you have a cigar problem, you are speculating. Your speculation has merit, but it has not been proven. I would contact the vendor and convey your thoughts and see if there is an amicable solution without sending back the cigars. Perhaps a discount on the box credited back to you knowing what the vendor must spent to compensate you for the return trip on the cigars. An open dialogue is the first course. A vendor does not know that they have done wrong, unless done intentionally, until you contact them.

Now that the cigars are on your door I would not be inclined to send them back simply due to the year. Cigars are always a risk, regardless the year, the color, the feel, the smell, the vendor. I would want to work out a means by which you lessen that risk for yourself and assign it, or at least share it with the party making the mistake. BUT YOU HAVE TO SMOKE AT LEAST ONE CIGAR!

I don't want to take you down the wrong road and promise you hope and a great cigar when I have no such knowledge. What my experience tells me though is that box that you hold has 10 years of age and if it is not too tight I am thinking that you got a great box of cigars there.

How do they smell? If they have no rank mildew odor I think you are in the clear.

I know it is not what you asked so to answer your question I think you got 2000's. That answer that I gave first however is in my opinion one of more importance. I hate getting stuck with cigars I don't like and I would not wish it on you either. I don't really think you are too far out on a limb here but you will only know once you smoke some cigars. For the record, I have had this happen more than once. I have never sent back a box of cigars because of the year. The best box of Bolivar CE's that I ever smoked was a box I did not want dated '99! Let me know if I can help in any other way.

-R

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.

I contacted the vendor, and just received a response. They are frustrated that I received the wrong box code, as they specifically put aside 2001s for me, so he believes a lack of communication and an error in inputting numbers once they were shipped is the cause.

He offered to either let me return them and he will send out the proper box, OR I can pay for the box I received, at a 40% discount, and he will still send out the box I was supposed to get in the first place.

So in the end, I would have 1 box of Diplo 1s from 2000 at a deep discount, and eventually 2 boxes from 2001. I think this is the course I will take, because I agree that to send the box back without at least smoking a few of the cigars would be foolish. As none of the cigars (I felt all of them) have any evidence of tightness or overfilling, and the aroma is pleasant, if not powerful, there is a decent chance that these could be good cigars, if not great. I won't know unless I try.

In the end, I get an offset for my risk, as Piggy just mentioned, but the cigars at first inspection look pretty good. They are the most Box-pressed Cubans I have ever had, so why not go for it! No Rank Mildew odor present either....

I will post a review when i try the first cigar in a few weeks!

Thanks again everyone!

I just picked up two boxes of Dip # 1 about two months ago myself...same box code ARA ABR 2001 they r fantastic! Nearly ten years in the box has done them well...very heavy boxed pressed to them and I just smoked one watching the rain come down...what a great smoke (luv Dip's) Will absolutely pick several more up before thay r all gone.