Vancouver 2010

Hi all Just a quick line to congratulate Vancouver for putting on such a fabulous opening ceremony

and heart felt condolences for the Georgian Team and the family of the luge athlete that was tragically killed in practice :rolleyes:

Just goes to show that the Winter sports are a lot more dangerous than the Summer ones

Cheers Oz ;)

I dont know about you guys but the coverage is very meagre on TV. On the weekend, they were more interested in showing the cricket than the winter olympics. :cigar:

I know what you mean over here it only got one page of saturdays paper the rest was all footy (here we go again :( )

Lucky we follow sports that do not get much press (if you know what i mean ) :(

Cheers Oz :D

I dont know about you guys but the coverage is very meagre on TV. On the weekend, they were more interested in showing the cricket than the winter olympics. :thumbsup:

It's bloody Foxtels fault. :lol:

You have to fork out $65 to see everything....and thats after paying (for me) over a $1000 per year and still have to put up with adverts like the commercial / free to air channels.

It's bloody Foxtels fault. :lol:

You have to fork out $65 to see everything....and thats after paying (for me) over a $1000 per year and still have to put up with adverts like the commercial / free to air channels.

Thats why i settle for free to air,it might be a pain but its free :o ,plus i do not have time to watch foxtel as well rather spend the money on Cigars :D

Oz :thumbsup:

Congrats to Dale Begg-Smith for his great run in the mens moguls to get your first medal of the games. It was a great final with some unreal runs but did get our first Gold in an Olympics hosted at home. The city and Whistler are really alive, we were at the womens hockey last night and the energy and spirit was amazing in the arena.

Hopefully the games will continue without further incident and with great preformances by all the teams.

Hi all Just a quick line to congratulate Vancouver for putting on such a fabulous opening ceremony

and heart felt condolences for the Georgian Team and the family of the luge athlete that was tragically killed in practice :rotfl:

Just goes to show that the Winter sports are a lot more dangerous than the Summer ones

Cheers Oz :lol:

The opening ceremonies truly outstanding, they did such a great job showing the diversity of Canada. The Australians should be proud too, it was an Aussie that produced the event, David Atkins. I had family at the opening ceremonies & they said the TV just didn't capture the energy felt in the building.

And Bilodeau winning gold last night with his brother watching & cheering him on, that was truly awesome to watch.

I dont know about you guys but the coverage is very meagre on TV. On the weekend, they were more interested in showing the cricket than the winter olympics. :angry:

and while i enjoy the other olympics, the worst cricket still sits miles ahead (although one day stuff can take or leave and 20/20 is to cricket as sauv blanc is to wine).

but seriously, there would be all sorts of contracts in place - 9 (the free to air network in oz showing both) could not afford to lose the cricket. it is really cheap to show, compared with most other shows and does bring in 1,000's of viewers. the cricket admin would go ballistic if they were flicked for people falling down mountains quickly.

and while i enjoy the other olympics, the worst cricket still sits miles ahead (although one day stuff can take or leave and 20/20 is to cricket as sauv blanc is to wine).

but seriously, there would be all sorts of contracts in place - 9 (the free to air network in oz showing both) could not afford to lose the cricket. it is really cheap to show, compared with most other shows and does bring in 1,000's of viewers. the cricket admin would go ballistic if they were flicked for people falling down mountains quickly.

I couldn't agree more Ken but surely the "Winter Olympics" could have been broadcast on a different channel then if 9 can not commit to showing more coverage.....

I would happily get pay TV but as stated by OZ, I too am hardly at home enough to watch TV so pay TV would be a waste to get/have as it was in the past.

Regardless, I hope everyone is enjoying Vancouvre as it is a fantastic event. I love winter Olympics.

I couldn't agree with you guys more, yet I think they believe there is enough coverage on free to air to suffice, either that or that the majority of people have foxtel anyway.

I could have sworn that previous winter olympics coverage in Australia was much better than it is this time around aswell?

At the risk of sounding like the pedant that I am, it's "Superbia in proelio" (not 'proelia')

Thanks freddy(or is it Frederick ;) )

I think i have a bit of egg on my face,this is the Latin motto for MCFC,and after a bit of research this morning it would appear you may be correct ,what gets me is why is it written the other way on the club shirts etc etc :angry:

Cheers

Oz :cigar:

I couldn't agree more Ken but surely the "Winter Olympics" could have been broadcast on a different channel then if 9 can not commit to showing more coverage.....

I would happily get pay TV but as stated by OZ, I too am hardly at home enough to watch TV so pay TV would be a waste to get/have as it was in the past.

Regardless, I hope everyone is enjoying Vancouvre as it is a fantastic event. I love winter Olympics.

problem is that as 9 won the rights, fat chance of them allowing them to be shown on another channel. part of the problem comes down to sports administrators. do you sell the tv rights of your sport to X knowing that they will only show half of the event or sell it to Y for a lot less but knowing they'll at least show the lot.

if we go back to rugby post the 2003 world cup when the interest here was at its peak, 7 had the rights for the following super 14 or super whatever it was at the time. and yet, showed nothing. previously it had been late night replays but they even dumped that. and the mouthbreathers that are supposed to run the code did bugger all. even if they already have the rights (and they want them because the international tests come along with them and they do want to show those), you simply tell them that if they are not prepared to support the game by showing super 14, even if late night replays, then when the next bidding rights come up, they will not, under any circumstances, be considered. but the spineless toads of the ARU squibbed it. and now look at rugby. they could not even raise $7k for the interstate club championship. what a disgrace. and these people are so egotistical and plain dumb as to not realise how much they have damaged the game. if they ran a public company, it would have long been insolvent. if this was china or a few other places, with any luck, they'd have been shot.

[quote people falling down mountains quickly.

Give me falling down mountains to cricket any day even though i like cricket the winter olympics gives me/us access to sports that don't get a look in here in OZ and so much better than summer games.

Over here it is football/ cricket with football almost being 24/7 365 whilst i have no time for Rugby league, Union rocks :angry:

And give me F-1 over any of them ;)

cheers Oz :cigar:

At the risk of sounding like the pedant that I am, it's "Superbia in proelio" (not 'proelia')

Thanks Freddy it was a typo

cheers Oz :2thumbs:

I'm not typically into sports, but the Olympics are something different.

Anyways, to all you guys back home talking about the meager coverage, pity me. I'm out in Guam for work, and so far all I've seen is any event where an American is going to do some good combined with more adds than I ever thought was possible. With no real cigars to boot!

I have learned something interesting though - it seems that if you want to eat like an Olympian, this can be achieved with chicken nuggets with sweet chili sauce from McDonalds.

Thanks freddy(or is it Frederick :P )

I think i have a bit of egg on my face,this is the Latin motto for MCFC,and after a bit of research this morning it would appear you may be correct ,what gets me is why is it written the other way on the club shirts etc etc :cigar:

Cheers

Oz B)

The reason you'll often see it misspelled as 'proelia' (even on club shirts, etc.) is that an error once made is commonly propagated if it's in a foreign language.

Freddy (not Frederick)

Freddy (not Frederick)

I know sorry mate i was taking the piss typo like the shirts :lol: ,I also hear some fans have had it tattooed wrong on themselves ,got it of the shirts :lol:

Cheers Oz :cigar: