Cuban Music

My favorite group is ¡Cubanismo! featuring Jesús Alemañy. I like their first three albums the best -

!Cubanismo!

Malembe

Reencarnación

Their latest, Greetings From Havana is also very good, but personally I feel the production is not quite as good as the others. I feel the first three

have a real sizzle to the sound - almost live. I think GFH lacks this feel - drier, more recording studio sound.

Though not from Cuba, I really like Poncho Sanchez as well. Latin Soul is live and excellent. His latest, Raise Your Hand, is a combination of Latin

and Stax records - it might sound a bit strange, but I love this disc as well.

While not Cuban, a group from Southern France called Gipsy Kings produce some excellent music with a distinct South American flavor fused with Flamenco. I recommend them for your Ipod.

Also anything by Arturo Sandoval is good if you like jazz trumpet from Cuba.

My favorite group is ¡Cubanismo! featuring Jesús Alemañy. I like their first three albums the best -

!Cubanismo!

Malembe

Reencarnación

Agree, Jesús Alemañy is fantastic, jazzy and delicious...

Of Cuban origin, I often listen to some good oldies, especially Benny More and the Sonora Matancera, and all those that came out of it (Perez Prado, Celio Gonzalez, Celia Cruz)... and some of the more recent Nueva Trova (Pablo Milanes, Silvio Rodriguez)...

Here's a few of my favorite songs from my ipod:

Afro-Cuban All-stars - "Amor verdadero"

Compay Segundo - "Guajira Guantanamera"

Buena Vista Social Club - "De Camino a la Vereda"

Now, I haven't seen the lyrics for this last one but I find it a funny song cause its about Compay Segundo leaving his wife for a younger woman. Now I know that's not funny...but If you think that Compay was probably 80 yrs old or something at the time :cigar: then it is a little funny (though it might be about him at an earlier time).

As for Albums:

Gloria Estefan - "Mi Tierra"

Bebo and Cigala - "Lagrimas negra" Sung by a Spaniard flamenco style.

Ruben Gonzalez - The best of (instrumental)

That should get you started.

While not Cuban, a group from Southern France called Gipsy Kings produce some excellent music with a distinct South American flavor fused with Flamenco. I recommend them for your Ipod.

Also anything by Arturo Sandoval is good if you like jazz trumpet from Cuba.

Here's another recommendation for the Gipsy Kings. They do a great version of "Hotel California"

Two weeks ago I went to a pretty cool concert - "The Bar at Buena Vista".

Very good stuff!

91 year old Reynaldo Creagh busting out "Dos Gardenias" was absolutely amazing.

...and the female dancers.... omg.... drop dead gorgeous.

Here's a few of my favorite songs from my ipod:

Afro-Cuban All-stars - "Amor verdadero"

could not agree more. just find that brilliant. if it was on vinyl and not cd, i'd have worn a groove through it.

but i have never been able to get any band in cuba to play. they know everything ever made but i've not found one that knows it.

quizas another fave among many.

Same as Rob in Canberra I saw the Bar at Buena Vista and enjoyed that. I also like the BVSC cd, Compay Segundo, etc

There's a cd called Introducing Ruben Gonzalez, very classy piano, his touch is spot on, never showy just classy.

More modern, much more modern in fact, I like the Reggaeton, the Cuban Revolucion which is the hip-hop influenced effort put together by an aussie (I forget who). Great beats, lots of energy.

To add another question to the thread, I'm a fan of slow, sultry bolero / bolero - son. Any recommendations of an individual artist or

compilation cd in this style? I'm thinking of picking up Mis Boleros by Lucrecia.