Quai D'Orsay Coronas (Corona Claro) AGO 02

Having previously tried the Panetelas and Imperiales i was underwhelmed to say the least, Quai D'Orsay always reminded me of a really weak Cohiba with the mild grassy flavours and little else.

On a local vacation I discovered a small store with various not so popular brands, in other words the snobs grabbed all the big name stuff and left the "junk" behind. Thank God for the cigar snobs out there :clap: if it wasn't for them i'd never have found this absolute GEM ! with my only regret being I only purchased two sticks :clap:

It caught me completely off guard so I did a very rough review with crappy phone cam pics :P

post-3351-1243440969.jpg

Construction - Very good

Appearance - Slightly veiny

Pre-light draw - Slight resistance, just perfect. Very grassy/herbal/camomile thing going, a bit strange to be honest.

1st third - It started off with the usual Cohiba-like grassyness, a bit overwhelming with the first few puffs and slightly annoying. As things progressed it became slightly spicy, coupled with the grassyness it made for an interesting opening third. Slightly medium bodied.

2nd third - Out of nowhere it really started to shine, some absolutely amazing complexity. Still with the grassyness but with drips of honey and a sprinkling of sweet nuttyness, and to top it off ever so slight notes of leather at the finish. I have not had something this good in a VERY LONG time....... i'm absolutely amazed at the flavours that begin to creep up on the palate. All I can think of is that this is a complete fluke, these "inferior" brands are not supposed to be this good, this will definitely go downhill in the final third. It just has to.

Final third - On and on it goes, it has no signs of slowing down and the sweet flavors become slightly more prominent. There are hints of almonds sneaking in with the subtle sweetness that's present as well as a load of green tea and of all things.....camomile ?!?!?! there was no camomile since the pre-light draw ! This just can't go on forever.....

post-3351-1243443505.jpg

Well it pretty much did. How good was it ? well put it this way...... for an hour after finishing it I was still rolling my tongue in my mouth just to savour those sweet flavours.

I'm almost ashamed to write this review for the simple reason that I just can't believe this humble Quai D'Orsay Corona cheapo treated me to such an absolutely sublime experience. These cheapo things are not supposed to be this good !! (at least that's what my brain keeps saying)

The rating ? well I don't know to be honest :( it wasn't perfection by any means so a 100 score is impossible.... if pushed to rate it

It's a 94 a rock solid 94 !!!

Un-be-lievable :clap:

I always think it's better expecting that a smoke won't be impressive and getting surprised by the result as opposed to expecting great things and being let down.

Good for you!

Yeah you nailed it. If i was expecting great things then i'd be quietly satisfied in place of absolutely amazed. :clap:

2nd third - Out of nowhere it really started to shine, some absolutely amazing complexity. Still with the grassyness but with drips of honey and a sprinkling of sweet nuttyness, and to top it off ever so slight notes of leather at the finish. I have not had something this good in a VERY LONG time....... i'm absolutely amazed at the flavours that begin to creep up on the palate. All I can think of is that this is a complete fluke, these "inferior" brands are not supposed to be this good, this will definitely go downhill in the final third. It just has to.

:clap: Thank you mate for a great review on this cigar so poorly underrated and almost unknown.

Great to see that, for once, someone has the same tasting experience as I have when I smoke a

Quai d' Orsay. as I have said , on an other post, these cigars are truly worth the time you have

to smoke them and to discover Quai d'Orsay's unique style and tastes. Goes to show,

never say never. :clap:

:clap: Thank you mate for a great review on this cigar so poorly underrated and almost unknown.

Great to see that, for once, someone has the same tasting experience as I have when I smoke a

Quai d' Orsay. as I have said , on an other post, these cigars are truly worth the time you have

to smoke them and to discover Quai d'Orsay's unique style and tastes. Goes to show,

never say never. :clap:

Hear, hear! Great review. Yes, thank you again to the Coke and Pepsi crowd for leaving the best cigars on the shelves for a man of good taste uncover and discover.

Merci Guy, Piggy, Wiley for the kind words :) I'm sure this Quay d'Orsay is at it's peak, at almost 7 years old it is magical. I can't see it getting any better with more age to be honest.

I also found some real gems in this tiny store. I also purchased several ERDM Coronas De luxe (discontinued in '06) , Punch RS 11 and 12's (no bands), PL Monte Carlo's, Partagas Presidentes. Vegueros Seoanes. The owner just looked at me with a big smile and gave me a great discount (he was probably relieved to get rid of his unpopular stock). Although he still has half a box of the Quai d'Orsai and i'm trying to twist his arm and have him send them to me.

Very nice review! I just saw this thread as i was finishing up reviewing this cigar myself! I had a very similar experience with the one i smoked. Since you already did a nice review of it for this forum, ill just post as link to my review on my blog: Quai D'Orsay Coronas review

Thanks Ben, I always enjoy reading your blog :cigar: (I have it bookmarked) It's fascinating to find such consistency in a CC when comparing our reviews and Guy's experience with the Corona. I'm almost afraid to buy more recent box codes and just let it age..... I doubt i'll have the patience :D

Thanks for the comments gents.

Felipe :D

Thanks for the great review. I've only tried one, and unfortunately it tasted as burning rubber smells. Given the members who enjoy these,

no doubt I simply had a poor sample. (I'm now wondering if that was intentional......... :cigar: )

I wish that I had an open box but with so many good cigars open already I have fallen back into poor "boxkeeping" practices once more. Alas I will wait awhile before opening the next one, too many loose cigars means I have to smoke more!

A friend of mine handed me one of these in Vegas a few years ago. I dismissed it for a time, firmly believing that it would be a mild waste of my time.

When I finally got around to smoking it I was stunned at how good it was. And not a shriking violate on the palate by any means.

Not too long ago El Prez called for reviews of Quai D'Orsay cigars, and I remember posting my review of the Coronas Claro. I went to try to find that review for comparison purposes, but I could not find it. Is there an archive somewhere for older reviews?