2011 Partagas Serie E No.2 review

Partagas Serie E No.2

Box code: TAU OCT11, box of 25, H&F

Retail: $275-$400 for a box of 25.

Appearance:/Structure: 15/15 Beautiful oily brown-reddish wrapper. Abosultely flawless. Ranks among the top wrappers I’ve seen, coming close to the wrappers on the original ’10 release of the BHK series. Firm construction and packed foot.

Smoking characteristics: 24/25. Draw is actually perfect. Draws like a Padron 45, albeit a tad tighter. Beatiful light grey ash. Razor-straight burn and no touchups necessary.

Flavor: 24.5/25.

First third: This cigar gets off to a great start. With most CC’s, it usually takes an inch or two for the flavors to meld and become more accessible and pleasant. Starts off like PSD4, but flavors are more cohesive and there’s more cream and cedar. Undertones of mocha, cedar, some citrus. Such a great bouquet and to me the best representative of what is classic Partagas. The spice is not so much there, but the power is definitely there. The power however is not overpowering as one might find in a young Bolivar or even young Partagas 898. There’s a meliflous harmony of strength and refinedness.

2nd third: The flavors keep on getting richer and richer and there’s a greater melding of flavors. Getting more of that mocha/espresso flavor as well as some leather. Slightly less creamy, yet the cedar notes are still present. Finally have to ash this cigar.

Last third: This is what every cigarlover searches for, a young cigar that one can smoke into the last 3rd. This is like drinking a cappuccino infused with dark chocolate. Absolutely stunning cigar that I ended up nubbing.

Overall Impression: 34.5/35. This is honestly in the top 5 cigars I’ve ever smoked. I’m dead serious. I bought this cigar after sampling one on my trip to London in January 2012. I loved that one sample so much that I ended up buying a box. This cigar can only get better with age, but honestly they are smoking great now. This cigar makes me think Habanos is getting something right, at least in it’s new releases. This cigar is a must for any cigar aficionado and particularly fans of Partagas. I'd pick this cigar over a BHK 52 or BHK 54 anyday of the week. Sadly, not sure if 2012 boxes will smoke the same as '11 boxes. Pick up a few singles and decide for yourself!

Overall: 98

• Like 2

Great review - the taste profile sounds great.

I wish I could share your experience though: Im smoking my second E2 as i type (its a July 2012) and just like the first one it is awful.... and unfortunately am not joking...its as though they made a 54 gauge cigar with nothing but volado. I cannot get any flavour and definitely no power out of it. Glad I only got 5, but your review has given me hope, maybe I'll brave another 5 just to see...

• 1 month later...

Great review, thanks!

I have one cigar left from my first box, and I was so excited about them that I shared many to try and spread the word. I had no complaints from anyone, until they received their own boxes (both 5 and 25ct) and many friends have had bad ones. I really hope when I come to getting a second box, that they are as good (or better) than my first. This has kept me on the skeptical side of ordering sooner.

The ones I had right at the release in AUS did not impress. Despite my preference for the Partagas marque, I have not tried any of the E2s since and have stuck to the P2s. Maybe it's time to give them another chance.

I'm generally a fan of Partagas but the E2 was not the least bit enjoyable for me. I have only had one but it left a bad taste in my mouth (bad pun har har har) and I won't likely be venturing to buy a box of them anytime. I found the draw extremely loose and the flavour extremely bland. Not like any other Partagas I have ever had. Give me a p2, short or 898 over this any day!

Smoking one of these as I write. A very nice cigar indeed. My pallet did not get the same amount of complexity as yours but a very nice cigar nonetheless.

Top review. Read it earlier and has prompted me to have one this evening. It's fairly decent! The mocha profile is definitely there! Hefty stick!

post-12699-13688704374007.jpg

Really Nice Cigar......Thoroughly Enjoyed cigar.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I found the draw extremely loose and the flavour extremely bland. Not like any other Partagas I have ever had. Give me a p2, short or 898 over this any day!

I totally, totally agree. The loosest draw on any cigar I've ever had, and mild to the point of nearly being flavourless. Shame :(

• 2 months later...

This cigar has to offer a tons of smoke, very loose draw (unusually loose),but the flavoures were pretty interesting for me:it seemed like a ''lighter'' version of P2...

BTW im new on FOHparty.gif

• Like 1