Quintero Favoritos

4 1/2 x 50 (concha no.2)

I wasn't sure what to expect from these, the Panetelas is one of my favourite cigars but the rest of the marca has never really impressed me. But these have had a good three weeks rest from their travels and the Sun actually made a show today so time to burn one!

Construction was great; thin and silky smooth wrapper with a good shine of oil. No hard or soft spots in the cigar.

First few puffs and the cigar is straight into stride, the blend seems very similar to the Panetelas as opposed to the rougher Brevas; plain sweet tobacco with a hint of cream. This continued for a while and to be honest it was a little muted, certainly not as concentrated as the Panetelas. Luckily this started to change about a centimetre in and the cigar started to open up. Still that core of sweet plain tobacco but the cream became more prominent and hints of milk chocolate, mild coffee and herbal-grassy notes would drift in and out.

Second third came quite quickly but I was walking the dog and the sun was shining, time passes quickly. The flavours really swung here, the cigar really brought out the herbal nature and began to bite and show it's youth but not in a harsh way, kind of similar to that sharp grass you sometimes get in fresh Cohiba.

Final third and the sweetness returned along with the mellow soft cream as that herbal bite fades.

Pretty impressed to be honest, it's a no nonsense cigar that seems perfect for a dog walk or yard work. There was no harsh or bitter notes at all, and while it didn't have the concentrated flavours of the Panetelas or the roughness of the Brevas, it managed to show bits of both but combined into a pleasant and overall mild cigar. Lots and lots of smoke was always present and the burn and draw was spot on from start to finish.

Perfect stick when you just fancy something simple and honest. I could probably sum the cigar up as mild and creamy, soft and mellow from start to finish, something you could happily puff away at for an hour and have no negative points.

89/100

• Like 2

Quintero is one of the marcas that fall below the radar (certainly below my radar). Reading your review makes me think that maybe its time for me to get some and give them a go ! Many thanks for the review !

Quintero never was "my" brand but thanks to your review I'm certainly intrigued!

Thank you,

Alex

• 4 months later...

This was a very good review and got me curious as well. Would you recommend these over the Panetelas? What's the key differences. Also would you say these need a lot of age to be decent?

This was a very good review and got me curious as well. Would you recommend these over the Panetelas? What's the key differences. Also would you say these need a lot of age to be decent?

Pretty similar but the panetela is a little more concentrated in flavours while these are more mellow and creamy. Mine came with about 6 months of age so a rest is probably going to help, Quintero always seem to age nicely; more sweet and creamy :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few of these bought as singles in a spanish tobacconist in the spring. I can see it can be suitable if you want something to smoke on and dont care for picking up flavours and so, but when I smoke I tend to sit with a drink/cup of tea and mostly focus on the cigar - And then the favorito doesnt have much to offer. Tastes seemed blurry and muted to me. While its not unpleasent its not exciting either.

The perlas worked a lot better for me, and its even cheaper

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of these last evening with water out on the patio last night. It surprised me with it's cream and chocolate along with grassiness in the hour it took to smoke. Definitely need to pick up a box of these.

• 2 weeks later...

Have two left out of a box of five that had around 10 years of age on them. I thought they were delicious.

Thank you sir for your review.

Have two left out of a box of five that had around 10 years of age on them. I thought they were delicious.

Thank you sir for your review.

These were released in 2013... you are confusing them with another Quintero vitola.

These were released in 2013... you are confusing them with another Quintero vitola.

My apologies. Will have to revisit the ones I have.

Have a great day

Carl