Quintero Favoritos

4 1/2 x 50 (concha no.2)

I wasn't sure what to expect from these, the Panetelas is one of my favourite cigars but the rest of the marca has never really impressed me. But these have had a good three weeks rest from their travels and the Sun actually made a show today so time to burn one!

Construction was great; thin and silky smooth wrapper with a good shine of oil. No hard or soft spots in the cigar.

First few puffs and the cigar is straight into stride, the blend seems very similar to the Panetelas as opposed to the rougher Brevas; plain sweet tobacco with a hint of cream. This continued for a while and to be honest it was a little muted, certainly not as concentrated as the Panetelas. Luckily this started to change about a centimetre in and the cigar started to open up. Still that core of sweet plain tobacco but the cream became more prominent and hints of milk chocolate, mild coffee and herbal-grassy notes would drift in and out.

Second third came quite quickly but I was walking the dog and the sun was shining, time passes quickly. The flavours really swung here, the cigar really brought out the herbal nature and began to bite and show it's youth but not in a harsh way, kind of similar to that sharp grass you sometimes get in fresh Cohiba.

Final third and the sweetness returned along with the mellow soft cream as that herbal bite fades.

Pretty impressed to be honest, it's a no nonsense cigar that seems perfect for a dog walk or yard work. There was no harsh or bitter notes at all, and while it didn't have the concentrated flavours of the Panetelas or the roughness of the Brevas, it managed to show bits of both but combined into a pleasant and overall mild cigar. Lots and lots of smoke was always present and the burn and draw was spot on from start to finish.

Perfect stick when you just fancy something simple and honest. I could probably sum the cigar up as mild and creamy, soft and mellow from start to finish, something you could happily puff away at for an hour and have no negative points.

89/100

GREAT REVIEW.....ok.gif