Manuel Garcia in Jail

Heard the following:

"Several high ranking managers at Habanos have recently been arrested, as far as we can ascertain, it seems to be a case of graft.

At least one Central American distributor has also been arrested.

Habanos have run out of, or are very low on aluminum tubes.Some of the wood they have purchased for boxes, is of such poor qualityas to be unusable..."

Hello All,

just read that Manual Garcia from H SA has been sent to jail on suspicion of corruption.

Has anyone here heard more on this?

regards

Lars

I believe the appropriate term is that "he is currently assisting authorities".....intensely...and now for some time.

Others (HSA people) are being held in prison awaiting trial.

It has all occured over the past 8 days.

I personally believe the charges and arrests all comes back to the production of the Montecristo Open. Certainly a crime against man.

Corruption? in HSA? I mean...who would have thought :rolleyes:

I believe the appropriate term is that "he is currently assisting authorities".....intensely...and now for some time.

Others (HSA people) are being held in prison awaiting trial.

I has all occured over the past 8 days.

I personally believe the charges and arrests all comes back to the production of the Montecristo Open. Certainly a crime against man.

Corruption? in HSA? I mean...who would have thought :innocent:

Very interesting, Rob, thanks for the info. Will be watching this with interest.

Castro is definitely up and about then, it appears.

Very interesting, Rob, thanks for the info. Will be watching this with interest.

Castro is definitely up and about then, it appears.

This has been a trend this year. Earlier in March the director of civil Aeronautics "Acevedo" was arrested along with some of his family and cronies. Acevedo ran all of the civilian airports. He was doing so well that he managed to buy a 737 in Mexico and run his own private airline without Raul knowing it. He had a Yak-42 (Russian Jet Plane) in Toronto for 3+ years that was "being repaired", but was leasing it out to the highest bidder. His wife was caught with 60,000 Euros in the sock drawer. A few months later the director of public transportation was arrested, seems that he had a lot of Yutong (China) buses that were "broken down" and since parts weren't available, inoperable. In reality he was renting them out for wedding, quinces or any kind of party. So the Altadis police getting in on the action doesn't surprise me. John

For the first time I have learned about it one week ago from news on site of Moscow Cigars Club http://www.cigarinfo.ru/news/cigars/5476.html

At the Moscow office of Habanos employers have refused to confirm or deny this information. They having informed that «now anybody won't speak on this theme », but have asked to direct inquiry in written form. Attempts to contact office of Manuel Garcia were ineffectual – incomunicado. According to some information he is arrested on suspicion in corruption - told author of news Sergey Velikanoff.

I wasn't surprised. Corruption will ruin Cuba :innocent:

I suspect numbers may be down at next years Habanos Festival :yes:

Maybe perfect time to travel to the festival then ? the big question is will the "quality persons" numbers be down or the rif raf.

s

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing Van, hope you are feeling better, by the way!

While I don't want to see anyone sent to the gulag, as head of H SA, a company who's direction is to increase prices, decrease personality and choice, replace tradition for trend, over produce robustos and piramides at the cost of any cigar that isn't... I say anyone is potentially better than this man, whom I perceive as a poor company leader.

I guess if you like 50+ ring cigars... RE's, EL's, a huge selction of boxes containing what might as well be the same cigars, you may be sorry he is gone. I say "adios amigo!" Bring in the old guard, the new one's been no friend of us old dogs! ... or Pigs for that matter! ~Piggy

I hope you are feeling better, by the way!

Not frisky as a kitten yet, but doing pretty damned well all things considered. The cancer hasn't been routed yet, but it's definitely in retreat. Thanks for the good wishes.

ha ha maybe the investigating authorities have some cigar knowledge after all.

perhaps that is why that french minister got nailed for a paltry sum of a few thousand euros of taxpayers money on cubans - maybe they were all Opens?