whale wars

So, If Japan and the other whale hunting countries get out from IWC and make a new agreement, their huntings will be no problem?

Well, sort of. That is, assumng that you don't consider the duplicity and deceitfulness with which Japan has acted with regard to these agreements to be a problem. And of course, I assume it would still be a problem from the whales' perspective.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a perfect world, there wouldn't be a need - humans would understand our place on the planet.

But to a large degree, I don't believe we do.

i am in some sort of agreement with that but i would say, not to a large degree, rather we simply do not have a clue. and it is going to bite humans something wicked before long. possibly worse for future generations, actually almost certainly worse for them.

talk about killing the golden goose...

Well, sort of. That is, assumng that you don't consider the duplicity and deceitfulness with which Japan has acted with regard to these agreements to be a problem. And of course, I assume it would still be a problem from the whales' perspective.

Yes, very true.

On another front, here's something else to think about....Now that Japan is no longer a cylinder in the global economic engine, just wait for the problems that will arise from the BRIC nations (Brazil, Russia, India and China) ...pollution, currency pegs, middle class consumption (demand for petroleum and natural resources), and the diseases that come in living in close quarters to animals (Bird flu, etc...)... It's far more frightening....I'm off topic here...

The thing that gets me is Japan's duplicity and the international communities desire to placate them.

It's open water, I'd support the whalers forcing some of these yahoo's to walk the plank.

Simply put, what the eco nazi's are doing is attacking commercial vessels in international waters, time these guys start sinking every greenpeace boat they come across.

It's open water, I'd support the whalers forcing some of these yahoo's to walk the plank.

Simply put, what the eco nazi's are doing is attacking commercial vessels in international waters, time these guys start sinking every greenpeace boat they come across.

Interesting argument...so it's ok for Iran, North Korea and other nations to pursue nuclear weapons when they've signed treaties not to?

Fascinating. So the poaching is no problem to you? Just normal commerce in action? And should ivory poachers in Africa be allowed to murder anyone who tries to stop them, too?

i am in some sort of agreement with that but i would say, not to a large degree, rather we simply do not have a clue.

To be honest, that's what I think as well, but I didn't want to lump every last human in the same category - I believe there may be a tribe or two of forest

dwellers who still coexist with nature. And no doubt future generation are in trouble - we'll have to see how many future generations there'll actually be.

I'm betting on fewer rather than many.

I think it has dawned on the world how innefectual platforms such as the UN, IWC, Jokenhagen, etc have become. In my humble opinion there are only two global platforms currently in play, economics and politics.

For those opposed to Whaling, threaten one or the other. Personal boycott on Japanese goods with local political pressure. We are seeing it here in Oz with he Australian Govt scrambling with threats of legal action against the Japanese. Do they really care about this issue...I doubt it. However, they care about votes and the fact that tv news images of cuddly whales being slaughtered off our coast is not good PR.

Whaling is an economic minnow. If push came to shove and serious Japanese dollar interests were threatened in say Australia, New Zealand, EU and US then they would revert to slaughtering in their own back yard. Here is a start, sell all non Japanese cars with a "Whale Free" sticker on the windscreen. Japanese Whaling would be over in a year ;)

Rob, If I stop buying from you, Aussie's stance will change? lol

!LOL! That is the power of the consumer Yoss. One man...no. 100,000 or 1000,000 people yes.

Personally I don't like to see whales slaughtered. I can understand the argument of hypocrisy. Is there any real difference to hunting a whale over any other wild mammal for commercial gain? Not really sure there is. We have a commercial Roo shoot here in Oz although the quotas set varies dependent on their numbers (which vary from plague proportion to near plague proportion dependent on seasons). The Europeans have successfully boycotted much of our Kangaroo meat exports through a well targetted campaign.

I think the Japanese Whaling industry would be better off arguing for a sustainable harvest to meet domestic needs and drop the whole "Scientific" nonsense.

Nice to see ken has kept busy with controversial threads.

To be honest, that's what I think as well, but I didn't want to lump every last human in the same category - I believe there may be a tribe or two of forest

dwellers who still coexist with nature. And no doubt future generation are in trouble - we'll have to see how many future generations there'll actually be.

I'm betting on fewer rather than many.

as usual, almost, we are in complete agreement.

Nice to see ken has kept busy with controversial threads.

may i point out that even though this is a potentially explosive thread, i think everyone has put their view across in an appropriate manner (even if some of them are hopelessly wrong), befitting of this forum.

why is it that it only flares up when you are around?

and boycotts and all are all very well but then japan strikes back economically, or threatens to, and we run for cover. been suggested many times and spineless govts do nothing. these blokes know that and act in a manner that demands attention. raises the topic whatever your view (just look at us). the grubs in canberra have tried delaying it for 6 months in order we all forget (it will be non-whaling season down here so no nasty images). if they do anything, i'll backstroke to the antarctic and swim with whatever whales haven't been butchered.

boycotts and embargos eventually played a key role in south africa but have been far less effective elsewhere (little island not far from miami for example).

now, if you can bugger off back to the land of the endless whinge, we'd like to cover abortion, stem cell research, guns (again), any politics and religion any one would like and so on.

just curious, what are some other big anti-whaling organizations? what other, or similar techniques do they use? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm actually unsure and would like to know

just curious, what are some other big anti-whaling organizations? what other, or similar techniques do they use? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm actually unsure and would like to know

it is actually a very good question. greenpeace i guess but beyond that, seems a lot of talk and bugger all action.

I think it has dawned on the world how innefectual platforms such as the UN, IWC, Jokenhagen, etc have become. In my humble opinion there are only two global platforms currently in play, economics and politics.

Prez, I think you're being overly cynical; there have been successful international agreements. For example, the Montreal Protocol to get rid of CFCs? NATO?

It's true that mist don't work; in fact they are all run by politicians, so the probability of failure is high, but it is possible. Cheers for the blind squirrel!

Prez, I think you're being overly cynical; there have been successful international agreements. For example, the Montreal Protocol to get rid of CFCs? NATO?

It's true that mist don't work; in fact they are all run by politicians, so the probability of failure is high, but it is possible. Cheers for the blind squirrel!

Perhaps I am a cynic !LOL! It simply depresses me to see what the UN has become, to see the Copenhagen disaster, to watch the global grovelling to China.

I have heard that there is a tribe of cannibals in the highlands of New Guinea who remember the Japanese from world war 2 and are planning a trip to Tokyo.

They plane to drive down the main street and spear a few people but only for research mind you.

Of course the bonus is that if they feel a bit peckish along the way no harm done right.

Sounds fair to me, how about you. I think we could all learn more about the good people of Japan from these scientific expeditions.

Lets face it this scenario is just as believable as the Japanese excuse for whaling.

And just a little history on the ship that was sunk.

It was the only one of it's kind in the world. It was built in New Zealand and was named Earthrace.

It could also submarine up to 23 feet underwater for a few seconds as it passed through waves.

It traveled the globe gaining sponsorship and then broke the record for the fastest circumnavigation of the globe. It completed this is 60 days 23 hours 49 minutes.

earthrace2.jpg

It was later acquired by the Seasheppard foundation and renamed the Ady Gil after it's benefactor.

It was unveiled as the Ady Gil in the US in October 17 2009.

What was that old superstition about renaming a ship?

Adygil.jpg

What a waste of a fine vessel.

So I guess the flip side of your coin is that anti-whaling activists should simply buy a submarine or two, and torpedo any and all whaling vessels. Problem solved.