Coolidor Cleaning process, How do you do it

reg

I've read a few different things on the cleaning step for a coolidor, so I wanted to know if there was a "right" way. I've read about using bleach vs. detergent/soap or distilled water vs. regular, letting it sit overnight/just rinsing, covered uncovered etc etc.

Does it matter much? I was planning on filling it up with bleach/water, covered, and letting it sit a while. Do I need to use distilled water in this step? Should I use some kind of soap instead?

I don't know if it's the "right way" or not but I just recently built a new coolidor and all I did was scrub the inside of it with PBW (powdered brewery wash, a cleaner similar to oxyclean). I rinsed it well afterwards, then let it sit in the sun to dry out. I didn't use distilled water during the cleaning process.

Afterwards I put beads in (treated with distilled water), got the humidity stabilized, and then started adding cigars.

-- Gary F.

the simpler the better here. I dont use any heavy detergents at all just wipe it down with a baking soda/water solution once. Wipe it down and let it dry, then fill it up. Its as simple as that. The key is filling the cooler with enough spanish cedar whether it be in the form of a cab of cigars or spare cedar blocks. I prefer the former, well... because its filled with great cigars! O yea, grab plenty of beads and a few oust fans and your good to go. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice guys. its not a cooler exactly, but its the same family: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage...ductId=10026213

Gonna try to get it cleaned and ready by tonight, with beads hopefully on the way in the mail. For a couple days it looks like I'll need to survive with a couple of small jars I have. Wish my local place had beads :/ At least they had some empty boxes I picked up a couple days ago

after using baking soda (bi-carb soda) if theres still a strong plastic smell you could place a bowl of vinigar in there overnight and it should eliminate it. then wipe it interier down with water, open lid overnight or until dry and free of vinegar odor.

Basically what I did was wipe down the inside with a moist towel (distilled water) and then wiped it back down again with a dry towel. Then you take your empty cigar boxes wipe them down a little with distilled water and throw them in the cooler and close the lid. Come back in 8 to 10 hours later and the cooler should smell like cedar! If their is one thing I learned and its this:

Keep

It

Simple

Stupid

I debated making another thread to ask this question but decided not to...

My concern is in regards to the ziplock bags I sometimes see in the humidor picture thread. People say its an extra layer of protection between the cigars and the humidity. Isn't it an extra BARRIER? Doesn't the box+ziplock block any humidity from being able to get to the cigars?? Like always I'll state that I am a noob, but my senses tell me it seems a bit odd

oh, and my box has no more plastic smell, but the top of it still does. I'll wipe it down with something

Reg, I use ziplocks for singles only not for whole boxes. If your cigars are overly wet or dry upon being placed in the humidor just leave the ziplock partially unzipped for a few days to get things stable, then close up the ziplock. For whole boxes, if they are shipped very wet I have been known to leave the top off an SLB for a day or two before putting it back on and leaving it alone for several weeks. Remember, keep it simple and don't worry too much.

Never understood people storing cigars inside sealed Ziplock bags which are inside a humidor. A sealed Ziplock bag is essentially airtight creating a barrier between cigars and humidifier. For example, the salt calibration test can be done inside a Ziplock bag because it airtight.

Never understood people storing cigars inside sealed Ziplock bags which are inside a humidor. A sealed Ziplock bag is essentially airtight creating a barrier between cigars and humidifier. For example, the salt calibration test can be done inside a Ziplock bag because it airtight.

Very generally speaking, storing boxes in bags retards the maturation process - I guess the reason for wanting to do so is personal preference.

It's my understanding that the plastic is vapor permeable, so while it does slow the transfer of air, it does not completely inhibit it.

There are other members who are much more well versed in the process, and the science involved.

Very generally speaking, storing boxes in bags retards the maturation process - I guess the reason for wanting to do so is personal preference.

It's my understanding that the plastic is vapor permeable, so while it does slow the transfer of air, it does not completely inhibit it.

There are other members who are much more well versed in the process, and the science involved.

Ross brings up the aged old aging debate question. If you step away from that for a minute ask yourself what happens to other moist organic objects left in plastic bags; mold! Unless you are very sure of the moisture content of the cigars prior to putting them in plastic I would reconsider the practice especially if your cooler will reach 70 or higher degree temperatures. I am not telling anyone storage in plastic bags is wrong or bad for the cigars. I am only covering a basic in case it escaped you. - Piggy